Truck accident injuries are often far more extensive than the typical level of harm caused in a motor vehicle collision and thus carry a greater risk of permanent impairment or fatality. Passenger vehicle occupants and vulnerable road users like bicyclists are disproportionately injured in crashes involving trucks.
Survivors of truck accidents are likely to face painful recoveries, incur hefty medical bills, and need to take time off work. As personal injury attorneys, we are committed to helping accident victims recover fair compensation in a truck accident lawsuit after a negligent truck driver, cargo loader, manufacturer, fleet owner, or employer’s actions result in a collision.
At Cellino Law, we can offer you access to decades of experience, our specialized knowledge of truck accidents, and extensive resources to successfully maximize compensation for your New York truck accident lawsuit. You can call us at (800) 555-5555 or fill out our online form today to set up a free consultation.
Crush Injuries Are a Major Concern in Truck Accidents
Truck accident victims can sustain crush injuries when a body part, usually a limb, becomes compressed between two surfaces. This may cause bleeding, broken bones, or other issues. In extreme or prolonged cases, a crush injury can lead to compartment syndrome, where the pressure causes internal damage to nerves, muscles, and tissue.
In an override or underride truck accident, the smaller vehicle is at least partially trapped beneath the weight of the semi, creating the circumstances for a crush injury. Front seat occupants are often at a higher risk for crush injuries, particularly to the legs, as they take the brunt of the impact.
Damage to the Neck and Back is Typical in a Collision Involving a Truck
In a New York truck accident, the neck and back are vulnerable to serious injury, even if occupants are wearing seatbelts. The force of impact exerted by a truck that weighs up to 80,000 pounds can violently jerk or fling the body around, causing muscles and nerve fibers to stretch or tear.
Whiplash injuries and more severe forms of neck injury are common in cases where a truck causes a person to jolt one way and then immediately snap back the other way, such as in a rear-end collision. Back injuries, including herniated discs and fractured vertebrae, can occur as a result of harsh motion or being slammed against a hard surface.
Truck Accidents Carry a Risk of Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury refers to damage to the nerves of the spine, which are responsible for relaying messages from the brain to other parts of the body. When the cord is compromised by swelling, severed, or otherwise harmed, this can irreparably limit both function and sensation.
Spinal cord injuries can result from penetrating trauma, such as a piece of glass slicing the cord, a harsh blow that fractures the vertebrae protecting the cord, or a rapid motion that destabilizes the spine. Depending on the location of the injury, a truck accident survivor may be facing partial or complete paralysis.
Traumatic Brain Injuries May Leave Truck Accident Survivors With Disabilities
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) can impact key functions, including vision, speech, memory, judgment, processing, and even personality. Truck accident TBIs can also be fatal. There are many types of traumatic brain injuries, which are distinguished by severity, location, and kind of damage. TBIs include everything from mild concussions to severe Diffuse axonal injuries.
In a truck accident, a TBI can occur when a person strikes their head on a hard surface, such as the dashboard or steering wheel, or when the impact of the truck causes the brain to slam against the skull. Penetrating TBIs are also a risk, as sharp debris from the collision may breach the skull and injure the brain.
Truck Accident Survivors Should Be Evaluated For Internal Organ Damage
Even when there is no corresponding penetrating trauma, passenger vehicle occupants, bicyclists, pedestrians, and motorcyclists can suffer internal damage to their organs. Most commonly, this involves the spleen, liver, heart, and kidneys.
The organ damage may be the result of blunt force trauma or a crush injury sustained in the truck accident, or it may be a secondary consequence of other injuries inflicted in the crash. Either way, it can have devastating consequences, including organ failure or emergency transplant surgery.
Soft Tissue Injuries Can Indicate Underlying Trauma
Truck accident scenes are often chaotic, given the size of the vehicle involved and the magnitude of injuries. It can be easy to overlook closed, internal injuries, especially soft tissue injuries, in favor of more obvious damage, like a dislocated shoulder or a gushing facial laceration.
While this tendency is understandable, discounting soft tissue injuries can have serious implications for a truck accident victim’s recovery and future mobility or range of motion. Severe strains or sprains may require professional medical intervention to heal properly.
Why You Should Choose Cellino Law to Represent You in a Truck Accident Claim
Most people do not need the services of a truck accident attorney on a regular basis, so if they are injured in a collision involving a semi-truck, it can be difficult to know what makes a reliable truck accident attorney. You can rest assured that the seasoned truck accident lawyers of Cellino Law can provide you with the exceptional legal service you deserve.
Not only do we have more than six decades of experience in personal injury law, but we also have the record to prove that this time was productive for us and beneficial for our injured clients. As your truck accident lawyers, you can count on us to navigate liability disputes, document your damages, and negotiate a fair settlement.
Contact Cellino Law About Your New York Truck Accident Lawsuit Today
As if sustaining a severe truck accident injury isn’t bad enough, these types of injuries carry additional risks, including infection, mental health issues, and chronic pain. At Cellino Law, we understand the challenges you are facing, and we want to help you offset the financial, physical, and mental burdens that your injuries have created.
Our team will clearly communicate what to expect as we guide you through the personal injury claims process. We will also take on administrative duties, gather evidence of negligence, craft negotiation strategies, and represent your interests to the best of our abilities.
Call us at (800) 555-5555 or contact us through our online form today to set up a free consultation. Our team of skilled truck accident attorneys will work closely with you to determine who should be held liable, what damages you are eligible to claim, and what your New York truck accident lawsuit is worth.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.