One of the most severe types of injuries caused by personal injury accidents is a traumatic brain injury (TBI), which results from a blow to the head that damages the brain. The most common type of TBI a personal injury victim can suffer is a concussion. This type of TBI results from an impact on the head that leads to reduced brain functioning. It can cause severe headaches, temporary memory loss, reduced coordination, loss of balance, and problems with concentration.
A concussion can result from a personal injury accident that exposes the head to damage, such as a car accident, slip and fall accident, or truck accident. Personal injury victims that suffer concussions can experience economic and non-economic damages, such as medical bills, lost earning potential, and loss of enjoyment of life.
If another party caused you to suffer a concussion because of their negligent behavior, you could file a personal injury claim to pursue compensation for damages.
A Concussion is a Traumatic Brain Injury Caused by Personal Injury Accidents
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are a type of severe injury caused by a personal injury accident. They can cause long-term damage, affecting cognitive functioning and leading to severe pain. Concussions are a common TBI that result from personal injury accidents like motor vehicle accidents, slip and fall accidents, and workplace accidents.
A personal injury victim can suffer a concussion from a blow to the head or the violent shaking of the upper body and head. The brain can receive damage from these two types of actions, leading to problems with memory, concentration, vision, balance, and coordination. Personal injury victims should look out for signs and symptoms of a concussion to receive medical attention to prevent long-term damage.
The following are some signs and symptoms of a concussion:
- Ears ringing
- Blurry vision
- Temporarily losing consciousness
- Slurred speech
- Light and noise sensitivity
- Problems with taste and smell
Concussions Caused by Motor Vehicle Accidents
One common type of personal injury accident that can cause a concussion is a motor vehicle accident. Drivers of cars, trucks, and motorcycles can receive blunt-force trauma to the head from another vehicle, heavy objects inside the car, or hard ground. When a person receives a blow to the head, the brain can receive damage that can cause a concussion.
A motor vehicle accident can also cause a concussion when someone suffers whiplash. This can happen when the head and upper body whip back and forth violently from a motor vehicle accident impact. Passengers and drivers wearing seatbelts can experience whiplash when a motor vehicle accident collision causes their heads to shake violently with the seatbelt holding back their bodies.
The following are some motor vehicle accidents that can cause concussions:
Slip and Fall Accidents Can Cause Concussions
Slip and fall accidents are a type of personal injury accident that results from a person losing their balance and slipping or falling to the ground.
If a person falls directly backward or forward, their head can take the brunt of the impact of a slip and fall accident. A slip and fall accident victim whose head receives impact can suffer a concussion that can lead to headaches, memory problems, and vision issues.
The following are some walking hazards that can cause a slip and fall accident that results in a concussion:
- Wet floors
- Loose floorboards
- Wires running across the floor
- Parking lot potholes
- Items lying across the floor
- Missing steps
- Low visibility walkways
- Elevated platforms without railings
Concussions Caused by Workplace Accidents
Workers can suffer concussions from workplace accidents at places like construction sites, manufacturing plants, and even offices. All workplaces can have walking hazards that can cause slip and fall accidents that result in concussions.
Workplaces with physical labor can have an increased risk of concussions for workers, as there are more instances where a worker is likely to suffer a blow to the head. Workers can suffer concussions from tripping on walking hazards, falling from elevated surfaces, or being hit by a hard object.
After a workplace accident that results in a concussion, workers have many avenues to pursue compensation for damages. They can file for worker’s compensation that can pay for a percentage of their medical bills and lost wages. If they suffer a serious injury, an injured worker can attempt to hold their employer accountable for damages through a workplace accident claim.
Who Can Be Held Liable for Concussion Damages?
Who can be held liable for concussion damages depends on if someone caused a personal injury accident through negligent or reckless behavior. In the above examples, negligent drivers, property owners, business managers, employees, and employers can be liable for negligent behaviors.
These behaviors can include distracted driving, leaving walking hazards unfixed, and forcing workers to work in unsafe conditions. Personal injury victims should speak to a personal injury lawyer to determine if there was a liable party caused by concussion and can be held liable for damages.
Recovering Compensation for Concussion Damages
Personal injury victims that suffer concussions can experience damages like medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Concussions can affect a person’s health, economic standing, and quality of life.
If you suffered a concussion from a personal injury accident, you could file a personal injury claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company to pursue compensation for damages. Hiring a personal injury lawyer can help with the claims process, as they have experience handling these types of claims and will know the best strategies to maximize your potential for recovering fair compensatory damages.
Contact Cellino Law for Help With Your Traumatic Brain Injury Claim
At Cellino Law, our personal injury lawyers have decades of experience helping victims that have suffered traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) like concussions, contusions, and coup-contrecoup brain injuries.
Our personal injury lawyers can help you calculate the cost of your damages, determine the at-fault party, file the necessary paperwork, gather evidence, and negotiate a fair settlement. Contact Cellino Law today for a free traumatic brain injury consultation by calling us at (800) 555-5555 or leaving a message on our online contact page.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!