Thousands of car accidents happen every year across New York State. Fortunately, many are minor and those individuals may choose to file and complete an insurance claim without the help of a legal professional. However, not all car accident claims are cut and dry. If you were hurt, missed days of work, or suffered a life-altering injury because of the accident, your claim may be considered more complex and might take longer to settle.
For those types of claims, a car accident victim may need to consider seeking help from a trusted personal injury lawyer in their area. But why hire a personal injury lawyer? Here’s some reasons to consider seeking legal representation if you were injured in a motor vehicle accident:
In-Depth Understanding Of The Law & Corresponding Deadlines
Unless you’ve previously been involved in a car accident, you may not be familiar with the laws and filing deadlines that pertain to your specific situation. If you choose to file your claim without the help of a legal professional, you will need to understand what to file, how to format the documents, how to cite legal precedent, what evidence is admissible, and more. The process of filing a claim to receive compensation for injuries can be rigorous, and you have a limited amount of time.
An experienced personal injury lawyer will help you to understand which laws, statutes, or other pertinent information is relevant to your case. In fact, working with a legal team can help to ensure that all paperwork and forms are submitted correctly and on-time. Your attorney will also be a great resource for any questions that you have regarding the claims process or the legal process of filing a lawsuit in court if need be.
Familiar With The Insurance Company’s Tactics
Almost everyone who has had to deal with filing an insurance claim has the same complaint: the process can be exhausting and confusing depending on the complexity of your claim. If you’re not familiar with the tactics that insurance companies use to wear you out, you may fall victim to the tactics used to minimize your claim amount.
An experienced attorney will be familiar with the three “D’s” that insurance deploys: delay, deny, and defend. They will work on your behalf to ensure that medical records, paperwork, and evidence is submitted to the insurance company and negotiate a fair settlement for your claim. If your attorney has a reputation of taking insurance companies to trial over lowball settlements, they may be more likely to offer you fair compensation sooner than later during the claims process.
Knowledge Of Your Potential Damages And Their Values
If this is the first time you’ve been involved in a car accident, you may be inclined to believe that the insurance adjuster has your best interest at heart and will offer you a fair settlement for your property damage, injuries and lost wages. However, that is rarely the case. In fact, it is the insurance adjuster’s job to ensure that the insurance company pays out as little as possible for the damages you’ve endured.
If you’re not sure where to start, speaking to a personal injury lawyer can help you to understand your rights, the full extent of your damages and what constitutes fair compensation for the damages you’ve sustained. An experienced lawyer will also have a better understanding of the types of compensation you can receive for non-physical damages, like pain and suffering, and be able to negotiate those damages on your behalf against the insurance company.
Resources To Help Support Your Claim
When it comes to car accidents, your claim is only as strong as the evidence you can provide. While you may have access to your police report, witness statements and medical records, you may need additional evidence to prove your claim.
A personal injury attorney will have the knowledge and resources to help support your claim. Your attorney will carry out a thorough investigation of your accident and collect sufficient evidence to prove your claim to the insurance company. If necessary, they will enlist the aid of medical professionals, accident reconstructionists or economists that you may not have access to if you decided to take on the claim yourself.
Filing A Court Case
If a fair settlement cannot be reached, you may choose to seek justice in the courtroom. However, the process of filing a lawsuit can be costly. If you choose to file a lawsuit without the help of a personal injury attorney, you will be responsible for all of the costs associated with filing paperwork, expert witnesses, juror stipends, and more.
If you are working with a personal injury lawyer, these costs will likely be fronted and paid by the firm depending on your retainer agreement. Your lawyer will help you to file all of the appropriate paperwork, hire all of the necessary expert witnesses, and offer representation in the courtroom. With their help, you may have an increased chance of getting full compensation and justice for the injuries you’ve sustained.
Speak To A Personal Injury Lawyer Risk-Free
The days following a car accident can be confusing, overwhelming and downright frustrating in some cases. Fortunately, you do not have to navigate the world of insurance claims alone. If you were injured, it could be in your best interest to contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss your options. Since most personal injury firms in New York operate on a contingency basis and offer free case consultations to prospective clients, there is absolutely no risk involved in contacting a legal professional following your accident.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, don’t wait to contact the attorneys at Cellino Law. Our team has decades of experience fighting for injury victims across New York to ensure they receive fair and just treatment from big insurance. For a free and confidential case consultation with one of our personal injury lawyers, call us any time at 800-555-5555.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- Now that reality has set in, I want to thank you for all your work and assistance in obtaining my settlement for the pelvic mesh. This money will make my life so much easier in the future. Medicare just isn't sufficient. I know that I will have enough to live on. I truly appreciate of your efforts. Thank you!
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.