Thousands of car accidents happen every year across New York State. Fortunately, many are minor and those individuals may choose to file and complete an insurance claim without the help of a legal professional. However, not all car accident claims are cut and dry. If you were hurt, missed days of work, or suffered a life-altering injury because of the accident, your claim may be considered more complex and might take longer to settle.
For those types of claims, a car accident victim may need to consider seeking help from a trusted personal injury lawyer in their area. But why hire a personal injury lawyer? Here’s some reasons to consider seeking legal representation if you were injured in a motor vehicle accident:
In-Depth Understanding Of The Law & Corresponding Deadlines
Unless you’ve previously been involved in a car accident, you may not be familiar with the laws and filing deadlines that pertain to your specific situation. If you choose to file your claim without the help of a legal professional, you will need to understand what to file, how to format the documents, how to cite legal precedent, what evidence is admissible, and more. The process of filing a claim to receive compensation for injuries can be rigorous, and you have a limited amount of time.
An experienced personal injury lawyer will help you to understand which laws, statutes, or other pertinent information is relevant to your case. In fact, working with a legal team can help to ensure that all paperwork and forms are submitted correctly and on-time. Your attorney will also be a great resource for any questions that you have regarding the claims process or the legal process of filing a lawsuit in court if need be.
Familiar With The Insurance Company’s Tactics
Almost everyone who has had to deal with filing an insurance claim has the same complaint: the process can be exhausting and confusing depending on the complexity of your claim. If you’re not familiar with the tactics that insurance companies use to wear you out, you may fall victim to the tactics used to minimize your claim amount.
An experienced attorney will be familiar with the three “D’s” that insurance deploys: delay, deny, and defend. They will work on your behalf to ensure that medical records, paperwork, and evidence is submitted to the insurance company and negotiate a fair settlement for your claim. If your attorney has a reputation of taking insurance companies to trial over lowball settlements, they may be more likely to offer you fair compensation sooner than later during the claims process.
Knowledge Of Your Potential Damages And Their Values
If this is the first time you’ve been involved in a car accident, you may be inclined to believe that the insurance adjuster has your best interest at heart and will offer you a fair settlement for your property damage, injuries and lost wages. However, that is rarely the case. In fact, it is the insurance adjuster’s job to ensure that the insurance company pays out as little as possible for the damages you’ve endured.
If you’re not sure where to start, speaking to a personal injury lawyer can help you to understand your rights, the full extent of your damages and what constitutes fair compensation for the damages you’ve sustained. An experienced lawyer will also have a better understanding of the types of compensation you can receive for non-physical damages, like pain and suffering, and be able to negotiate those damages on your behalf against the insurance company.
Resources To Help Support Your Claim
When it comes to car accidents, your claim is only as strong as the evidence you can provide. While you may have access to your police report, witness statements and medical records, you may need additional evidence to prove your claim.
A personal injury attorney will have the knowledge and resources to help support your claim. Your attorney will carry out a thorough investigation of your accident and collect sufficient evidence to prove your claim to the insurance company. If necessary, they will enlist the aid of medical professionals, accident reconstructionists or economists that you may not have access to if you decided to take on the claim yourself.
Filing A Court Case
If a fair settlement cannot be reached, you may choose to seek justice in the courtroom. However, the process of filing a lawsuit can be costly. If you choose to file a lawsuit without the help of a personal injury attorney, you will be responsible for all of the costs associated with filing paperwork, expert witnesses, juror stipends, and more.
If you are working with a personal injury lawyer, these costs will likely be fronted and paid by the firm depending on your retainer agreement. Your lawyer will help you to file all of the appropriate paperwork, hire all of the necessary expert witnesses, and offer representation in the courtroom. With their help, you may have an increased chance of getting full compensation and justice for the injuries you’ve sustained.
Speak To A Personal Injury Lawyer Risk-Free
The days following a car accident can be confusing, overwhelming and downright frustrating in some cases. Fortunately, you do not have to navigate the world of insurance claims alone. If you were injured, it could be in your best interest to contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss your options. Since most personal injury firms in New York operate on a contingency basis and offer free case consultations to prospective clients, there is absolutely no risk involved in contacting a legal professional following your accident.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, don’t wait to contact the attorneys at Cellino Law. Our team has decades of experience fighting for injury victims across New York to ensure they receive fair and just treatment from big insurance. For a free and confidential case consultation with one of our personal injury lawyers, call us any time at 888-888-8888.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!