Car accidents can happen to anyone, including pregnant women. In New York City alone, there were 8,126 motor vehicle collisions in December 2022. These crashes injured 4,157 people and killed 21. Injured accident victims usually suffer from financial strain and wonder how much liable insurance companies will pay.
Do pregnant women receive more compensation for their injuries? How much is an average settlement? Cellino Law explains.
What Is the Average Settlement for a Car Accident While Pregnant?
There isn’t an accurate answer to that question. Every accident is different and has its own unique valuation. Many factors combine to determine the settlement amount for individual accident claims. Although your personal injury protection insurance covers medical bills and a portion of your lost wages, PIP policy payouts often aren’t enough.
Law enforcement officers, insurance companies and your attorney will investigate your accident to determine why it happened and who is to blame. Even if you share a portion of the fault, you can still seek compensation from other guilty parties.
An accident while pregnant does pose some issues that aren’t present in other claims, but again, compensation amounts can vary significantly. The physical, mental, emotional and financial costs are often devastating. Your attorney from Cellino Law can assess your situation to tell you what damages you can seek.
What Complications Do Pregnant Women Face?
Although the human body typically protects a fetus, some of the forces present in car crashes can injure both the mother and child:
- Tightened seat belts
- Airbag deployment
- Loose objects in the car that hit the woman’s abdomen
- Impact force when vehicles collide
All those things can cause trauma to an unborn child. They can also cause the mother significant bodily stress that can cause many unwanted consequences.
Doctors may designate the pregnancy as high-risk following the accident, which can lead to more doctor visits and tests. Unexpected medical bills will result. Physicians may also put mothers on bedrest, meaning that she can’t work until after the baby is born. This loss of income creates additional financial strain.
A fetus can sustain injuries in a car crash that lead to birth defects, disabilities or health conditions that may affect the child for its entire life. Depending on the type of injury, the child may need surgeries, round-the-clock care, specialized schooling or medical equipment.
The financial costs associated with birth defects are usually staggering. Emotional trauma to the mother is almost guaranteed.
The forces in a collision or the mother’s injuries can cause a miscarriage. The mother may require hospitalization for her physical condition and mental health therapy for her emotional and mental state.
Although this loss of life is tragic, you can’t file a wrongful death claim in New York. You can, however, file a loss of fetus claim.
The placenta connects a fetus to its mother’s uterus and provides oxygen and nutrients. Impact forces may cause the placenta to separate from the uterine wall. Depending on the mother’s condition and the degree of placental separation, a mother might face:
- Total bed rest for the remaining duration of her pregnancy
- A cesarean section
- Induced labor
Again, this condition can lead to loss of income and a significant increase in medical bills.
The stresses on a mother’s body can send her into early labor. Depending on how far along she is in her pregnancy, the newborn may require an extended hospital stay in a neonatal intensive care unit. The mother will likely stay with her child, possibly resulting in additional expenses for food and hotel accommodations close to the hospital.
What Compensation Can You Seek?
Although we can’t tell you an average settlement amount, you can seek compensation for several things. Your attorney from Cellino Law will tell you what your specific circumstances make you eligible for.
Anyone who qualifies can seek economic damages after a car accident, but expectant mothers may have additional eligible expenses. Each item has a specific cost, so you’ll receive reimbursement accordingly. Keep your invoices, bills, and receipts for things like:
- Medical treatments for the mother and fetus, hospital stays and medications
- Wages lost due to time away from work
- Certain daily expenses that may include food and hotel costs if the baby is born prematurely
- Property damage to your car, clothing, personal effects and items in your car
- Funeral expenses if you lose your fetus
Insurance companies may try to entice you to accept a settlement offer soon after your accident. Once you take it, you can’t go back for more if your medical condition worsens or your child develops issues resulting from the wreck.
You will probably qualify to obtain future medical expenses and lost wages. It’s crucial to involve a car accident lawyer to handle your claim so insurance companies don’t take advantage of you.
Every accident can cause physical, emotional and mental trauma. Pregnant women may experience these issues more deeply than others. Although money can’t make up for someone injuring your unborn child or losing your pregnancy, non-economic damages compensate you for:
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of social or personal relationships
Your attorney will ensure that you receive all the damages that you’re due.
You may receive punitive damages if the at-fault party intentionally caused your accident or drove recklessly or aggressively. The purpose of punitive damages is to deter others from similar actions and to punish the defendant.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help?
If a negligent party causes a car accident while you’re pregnant, you deserve reasonable compensation. Insurance companies aren’t likely to offer fair settlements willingly. A competent car accident attorney understands the applicable laws, how to prove negligence and which damages you qualify to receive.
Any car accident claim can be complex, but pregnancy and potential related complications can add to the challenges. When you hire Cellino Law, we will take care of your accident claim and let you focus on your health and that of your unborn child. We will:
- Advise and guide you
- Deal with insurance companies so you don’t have to
- Investigate your accident to gather evidence supporting your claim
- Assign fault where it belongs
- Negotiate to ensure that you receive maximum compensation or take your case to trial
We will take care of accident-related paperwork and keep you informed about your claim’s status. We’ll also explain your legal options and help you choose the best course of action.
Why Choose Cellino Law?
Cellino Law understands how traumatic it is to sustain injuries to yourself and your unborn child in a car accident, and your entire legal team will treat you with compassion and respect. We will ensure that you get proper medical treatment and the compensation you deserve. We have focused on personal injury law for over six decades and will use our experience to help you.
Accidents can happen anytime, so you can reach Cellino Law 24/7. There’s no obligation, so request your free case review now. Call us at (888) 888-8888 or use our contact form. You won’t pay us unless we win, so you have nothing to lose and the potential to gain more compensation than if you try to handle your claim alone.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
- My experience during the time of negotiations was extremely positive. Josh Sandberg handled my lawsuit with the utmost integrity. He returned all my phone calls in a timely manner and answered all my questions. Josh made things less stressful. I would highly recommend Josh and the entire staff at Cellino Law.
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!