A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a type of acquired brain damage caused by external violence, or trauma, to the head. These types of injuries are seen when something outside the body strikes the head with enough force to injure the brain itself. TBIs are fairly common in motor vehicle accidents due to force of impact, causing drivers or passengers to hit their heads on surfaces.
While the immediate signs of a traumatic brain injury are often easily diagnosed by a medical professional, there are delayed or subtle symptoms of TBIs that can indicate long-term problems if overlooked.
Family members and loved ones should watch for the following symptoms, which can indicate long-term problems from a traumatic brain injury:
Signs Of Traumatic Brain Injuries Include Changes in Personality
One of the most detrimental long-term symptoms of a TBI is changes to personality. Depending on the type of head injury and the location of impact, changes can include more or less prone to risk-taking, becoming less affectionate or more analytical than before the injury. Any changes in behavior, emotional disposition, or general outlook after a head injury warrants a follow-up with a medical professional.
It’s common for those who have suffered a head injury to feel tired or exhausted shortly after their accident, but it can be problematic if general lethargy and exhaustion continue past the normal recovery period. Changes in sleep patterns, sluggishness and general apathy are all potential indicators of a long-term problem.
Subtle vision changes are often ignored but can be an indicator of acute long-term problems from a head injury. Difficulty reading up close, badly blurred vision, or limited long-range vision can be directly resulted to a head injury. Any field-of-vision problems should be addressed by a medical professional immediately.
Sensations of Numbness or Tingling
Head trauma can cause lingering scalp numbness or a tingling sensation around the body. This can be an early indicator of a nerve disorder, or signs of damage to a specific area of your brain. This “pins and needles” feeling often occurs predominantly on one side of the body due to how the brain splits control of the nervous system between hemispheres.
Faintness or Trouble Keeping Balance
After a head injury, there is often a lingering predisposition to fainting. Because of the disruption of blood flow to the brain, this symptom often presents itself alongside lethargy and increased sleep.
Memory problems are a common side effect of most head injuries, but there can be an indication of a more substantive injury when they linger past their normal recovery period. Forgetfulness worsened short-term memory and the inability to remember names and places are all symptoms of a TBI. If these problems persist, they could be signs of potential long-term damage to the brain’s ability to retain and process information.
Naturally, the first symptom many think of after a head injury is a headache. However, persistent headaches or dizziness could indicate a change in the brain, nerve damage or damage to the brainstem, which are signs of a traumatic brain injury.
Altered Sense of Taste or Smell
The olfactory organs are extremely sensitive and can be easily damaged with moderate head trauma. Although these symptoms may not be present at first, slight changes to smell and taste can occur over time.
When to Contact A Personal Injury Attorney For A TBI
Any accident that results in head trauma requires immediate medical attention. However, you can still suffer from symptoms of traumatic brain injuries years after your initial accident and can be extremely debilitating.
If you or someone you know has suffered head trauma due to an accident, be sure to seek medical attention as well as the services of a top injury lawyer who has experience working with traumatic brain injuries. It can take months or even years to recover from a TBI, resulting in expensive medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
A skilled traumatic brain injury lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve if someone else is responsible for your injuries. The team of attorneys at Cellino Law have over 60 years of experience helping accident victims who have experienced long-term effects of TBIs recover the compensation they deserve. If you’ve suffered a head injury as a result of an accident and show signs of a traumatic brain injury, contact our team today at 888-888-8888.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I am very pleased (and surprised) at the amount of the settlement. We will use the funds to help pay down the debt on the truck we had to purchase after ours was totaled. Thank you again.
- We'd like to thank you for all the assistance and time you spent on our case. Your professionalism and honesty will always be appreciated. The staff was always courteous and we were always impressed with your accountability. Your passion and dedication will never be forgotten, nor will you.
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.
- Now that reality has set in, I want to thank you for all your work and assistance in obtaining my settlement for the pelvic mesh. This money will make my life so much easier in the future. Medicare just isn't sufficient. I know that I will have enough to live on. I truly appreciate of your efforts. Thank you!
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.