A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a type of acquired brain damage caused by external violence, or trauma, to the head. These types of injuries are seen when something outside the body strikes the head with enough force to injure the brain itself. TBIs are fairly common in motor vehicle accidents due to force of impact, causing drivers or passengers to hit their heads on surfaces.
While the immediate signs of a traumatic brain injury are often easily diagnosed by a medical professional, there are delayed or subtle symptoms of TBIs that can indicate long-term problems if overlooked.
Family members and loved ones should watch for the following symptoms, which can indicate long-term problems from a traumatic brain injury:
Signs Of Traumatic Brain Injuries Include Changes in Personality
One of the most detrimental long-term symptoms of a TBI is changes to personality. Depending on the type of head injury and the location of impact, changes can include more or less prone to risk-taking, becoming less affectionate or more analytical than before the injury. Any changes in behavior, emotional disposition, or general outlook after a head injury warrants a follow-up with a medical professional.
It’s common for those who have suffered a head injury to feel tired or exhausted shortly after their accident, but it can be problematic if general lethargy and exhaustion continue past the normal recovery period. Changes in sleep patterns, sluggishness and general apathy are all potential indicators of a long-term problem.
Subtle vision changes are often ignored but can be an indicator of acute long-term problems from a head injury. Difficulty reading up close, badly blurred vision, or limited long-range vision can be directly resulted to a head injury. Any field-of-vision problems should be addressed by a medical professional immediately.
Sensations of Numbness or Tingling
Head trauma can cause lingering scalp numbness or a tingling sensation around the body. This can be an early indicator of a nerve disorder, or signs of damage to a specific area of your brain. This “pins and needles” feeling often occurs predominantly on one side of the body due to how the brain splits control of the nervous system between hemispheres.
Faintness or Trouble Keeping Balance
After a head injury, there is often a lingering predisposition to fainting. Because of the disruption of blood flow to the brain, this symptom often presents itself alongside lethargy and increased sleep.
Memory problems are a common side effect of most head injuries, but there can be an indication of a more substantive injury when they linger past their normal recovery period. Forgetfulness worsened short-term memory and the inability to remember names and places are all symptoms of a TBI. If these problems persist, they could be signs of potential long-term damage to the brain’s ability to retain and process information.
Naturally, the first symptom many think of after a head injury is a headache. However, persistent headaches or dizziness could indicate a change in the brain, nerve damage or damage to the brainstem, which are signs of a traumatic brain injury.
Altered Sense of Taste or Smell
The olfactory organs are extremely sensitive and can be easily damaged with moderate head trauma. Although these symptoms may not be present at first, slight changes to smell and taste can occur over time.
When to Contact A Personal Injury Attorney For A TBI
Any accident that results in head trauma requires immediate medical attention. However, you can still suffer from symptoms of traumatic brain injuries years after your initial accident and can be extremely debilitating.
If you or someone you know has suffered head trauma due to an accident, be sure to seek medical attention as well as the services of a top injury lawyer who has experience working with traumatic brain injuries. It can take months or even years to recover from a TBI, resulting in expensive medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
A skilled traumatic brain injury lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve if someone else is responsible for your injuries. The team of attorneys at Cellino Law have over 60 years of experience helping accident victims who have experienced long-term effects of TBIs recover the compensation they deserve. If you’ve suffered a head injury as a result of an accident and show signs of a traumatic brain injury, contact our team today at 800-555-5555.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support
- My experience during the time of negotiations was extremely positive. Josh Sandberg handled my lawsuit with the utmost integrity. He returned all my phone calls in a timely manner and answered all my questions. Josh made things less stressful. I would highly recommend Josh and the entire staff at Cellino Law.