Drivers in New York are required to carry auto insurance to protect themselves and others in the event of a car crash. While not entirely common, there are drivers on the road that are operating a motor vehicle with insufficient or no insurance coverage.
What is SUM Insurance Coverage?
SUM stands for supplemental uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage and protects you if you are injured in an accident by a driver that is uninsured or underinsured. The term “uninsured” means that the at fault driver has no insurance while “underinsured” means that the liable driver has less liability insurance coverage than you do and it is not sufficient to properly compensate you for your injurie
Insurance companies are required to offer SUM coverage, and if your policy includes it, you can file a claim with your own insurance company to receive compensation for injuries that are beyond the liable driver’s policy limits.
Do I Need SUM Coverage If I Have No-Fault?
In New York State, every automobile driver carries no-fault insurance coverage, which will help to pay for medical bills if you are injured in a car accident. However, no-fault does not compensate you for all your damages including pain and suffering, lost wages or earning capacity or future medical expenses. Those damage items are covered by the at fault driver’s liability coverage.
However, when a liable driver does not have enough bodily injury liability insurance (or no insurance) to cover your injury-related damages, SUM may be used to cover your damages up to the amount of SUM coverage purchased.
What Are My Options For SUM Coverage?
By New York State Law, every insurance carrier must offer SUM coverage at a minimum of $25,000 per person for bodily injuries and $10,000 for property damage. Since the cost of a serious injury can easily exceed these limits, you should have more than this minimum amount.
However, it’s important to note that your SUM coverage cannot exceed the bodily injury coverage amount on your own insurance policy. For example, if you’d like to increase your SUM coverage to $50,000 per person, you must also do so for your bodily injury liability coverage.
If you’d like to choose to opt out of SUM insurance coverage, you must notify your insurance company and let them know you would not like SUM coverage on your policy — although removing this coverage is not recommended.
If you’ve been injured in an accident, it’s important to contact a trusted personal injury attorney who understands the in’s and out’s of what is SUM coverage. For a free consultation with a member of our experienced injury law team, contact Cellino Law 24/7 at 800-555-5555.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a fantastic job as our attorney. We could not have been more pleased with the work you and your team has done on this case. This past four years or so has been such a roller coaster for our family. We are very pleased and grateful with the result. We have made a good choice by choosing you. Thank you.
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe