Many dangers can present themselves to drivers on New York highways, but one they may not account for is large trucks. When commuting on New York highways, you will likely see many large semi-trucks, so much so that you do not make much of them.
However, driving near large trucks and treating them like any other vehicle on the road can be a costly mistake, as failing to adjust the way you drive to account for the large vehicle can lead to a catastrophic truck accident. Victims of these accidents can suffer severe injuries and damages that affect their physical health and quality of life.
When driving near large trucks on New York highways, drivers should slow down, stay out of blind spots, give a large truck space to stop, and ensure they are entirely past the truck before merging into its lane. If you suffer a New York truck accident, you should contact a local New York truck accident lawyer to determine your options for pursuing compensatory damages.
The Dangers of Driving Near a Large Semi-Truck
Truck accidents can occur on New York highways when drivers do not properly adjust how they drive to compensate for a large truck. Semi-trucks are much different than cars; they are longer, weigh more, require longer stopping distances, and have to make wider turns.
If a New York driver does not adjust their driving when near a semi-truck, they can cause a severe truck accident. Semi-trucks can cause major damage when striking a car, including destroying the protective shell and exposing the driver and passengers to serious injuries.
Semi-truck accident victims who fail to give a large truck the proper space can suffer severe injuries like traumatic brain injuries, bone fractures, and spinal cord injuries. Their serious injuries can lead to long-term pain and suffering and, in some cases, wrongful death.
The following are some large semi-trucks that New York drivers should stay wary of on the highway:
Slow Down When Driving Next to a Large Truck on the Highway
When driving on a New York highway, you should slow down if you are coming close to a large truck. You should maintain the proper speed limit but do not go any faster than you have to to avoid coming into direct contact with a large truck.
If a large truck strikes your vehicle, it can cause significant damage to your car and expose you to severe injury risk. Avoiding a truck accident can involve slowing down and paying close attention to where the large truck is going.
Distracted driving or speeding when you are close to a semi-truck can prove disastrous, as you can come into direct contact with a large vehicle. Remaining focused and keeping a safe distance can help you avoid a truck accident and suffering severe injuries like 16,467 New York large truck accident victims did in 2021.
Stay Out of a Lage Truck’s Blind Spots
A major New York truck accident safety tip is to stay out of a large truck’s blind spots when driving near it on a New York highway. Large vehicles like semi-trucks will have blind spots where the driver cannot see, as mirrors cannot possibly cover the entirety of the areas around a semi-truck.
A semi-truck’s blind spots are located directly in front, behind the vehicle, and on each side. When you are driving in one of these spots, the truck driver cannot see you and could mistakenly make a move that can expose you to serious truck accident risk.
While you may think this is the truck driver’s fault, it’s your responsibility to stay out of the truck driver’s blind spots. Keep your distance and safely drive around a truck driver’s blind spots to avoid them being unable to see you on the highway.
Be Aware of a Large Truck’s Long Stopping Distance
Due to the size of a large truck, they require much longer stopping distances for the vehicle to come to a complete stop. It takes a semi-truck the length of two football fields to completely stop. New York drivers should account for that when driving near one on the highway.
When merging in front of a large truck, drivers should give the semi-truck extra space for them to stop. Rather than giving just a car’s worth of space, New York drivers should allow much more space to give the semi-truck the time to stop without crashing.
The Proper Way to Pass a Large Truck on the Highway
There will be situations where you must pass in front of a truck to allow for continuous traffic flow. When merging in front of a semi-truck, you must ensure the truck is visible in your rearview mirror. As you switch lanes, give the truck space for stopping distance, as mentioned above.
When switching lanes in front of a large truck, avoid passing from the right lane where truck drivers have less visibility. When a large truck passes in front of you, give them the space to safely make the lane switch to avoid a catastrophic collision.
Do You Need a Truck Accident Lawyer?
Following a truck accident, it’s essential to hire a truck accident lawyer who can help you with the steps involved in a truck accident claim. They can help you collect evidence to establish negligence in a truck accident claim.
Truck accident victims can suffer economic and non-economic damages, such as medical bills, lost wages, and loss of consortium. A truck accident lawyer can help you hold a truck driver or trucking company accountable for negligence that caused the accident and your severe injuries.
Contact Cellino Law for Help With Your Truck Accident Claim
The truck accident lawyers at Cellino Law have decades of experience helping New York truck accident victims who suffered damages from accidents caused by fatigued drivers, overloaded semi-trucks, and poorly maintained vehicles. They understand New York state and federal regulations that apply to truck drivers.
Our truck accident lawyers can help hold parties that fail to adhere to these regulations accountable for truck accident damages. They can help advise you on the best steps to receive a fair truck accident settlement. Contact Cellino Law today for a free consultation by calling us at (800) 555-5555 or leaving a message on our online contact page.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- We'd like to thank you for all the assistance and time you spent on our case. Your professionalism and honesty will always be appreciated. The staff was always courteous and we were always impressed with your accountability. Your passion and dedication will never be forgotten, nor will you.
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.