If you have ever found yourself stranded with a dead battery or flat tire, you know tow trucks provide a necessary service to the public. Just give the towing company a call and they will send help as soon as possible. However, tow trucks do not always play the hero. Due to their massive size and a limited line of sight, it is not uncommon for tow trucks themselves to cause an accident.
Cellino Law will be there to help you fight for the compensation you deserve as the victim of a tow truck accident. Our trusted team of personal injury attorneys has supervised the recovery of over $2 billion in settlements for our clients. We have considerable resources at our disposal to do whatever is necessary to bring you justice.
Call Cellino Law today at (800) 555-5555. There is no fee unless you win your case!
Types of Tow Trucks
There are five different types of tow trucks on the road today:
- Flatbed tow truck: These trucks have a cab and behind it is a hydraulic flat space that can be lowered to ground level. The car is then slid onto the flatbed where it is raised again.
- Hook and chain tow truck: A hook and chain tow truck is a large, one-ton truck that has a wench, chains, and a hook to grab onto vehicles to tow them. The problem with this method is it is common for the chains to damage the paint on the cars being towed, so the driver must be extra careful.
- Rollback tow truck: The rollback tow truck is very similar to the flatbed. What is different is that the hydraulic bed moves backward and is tilted toward the ground, becoming a ramp. The vehicle being towed is then moved up the ramp.
- Heavy-duty tow truck: The heavy-duty tow truck is the largest of all the trucks out there. They are designed to haul larger commercial vehicles, like 18-wheelers. The heavy-duty trucks are a bit sturdier, utilizing an additional axle for support.
- Wheel-lift tow truck: A wheel-lift tow truck is essentially the hook and chain, but the chains are attached to a device that is fastened underneath the vehicle. The car is raised off the ground by the front end to be towed.
The Main Causes of Tow Truck Accidents
While we often rely on tow trucks to help us when we are in need, they can also be dangerous obstacles. You will likely see them on the side of a busy highway. They might even be in the middle of traffic while they attempt to clear an accident. While tow trucks provide a great service to the community, they are not the safest drivers on the road.
Most unsafe driving can be related to a company’s business model. The more vehicles they tow, the more money they make. Tow truck drivers can be competitive with each other to be the first to arrive on the scene. This push to be first creates a major hazard. It forces many drivers to drive recklessly. Some towing companies might even tell their drivers to break traffic laws and speed while taking chances.
The main causes of tow truck accidents can include:
- Reckless driving and speeding to be first
- Parking in a space that impedes other traffic
- Failing to properly secure the load
- Failing equipment
- Failing to check blind spots
- Failing to use proper signs and cones to warn other drivers
If you have been injured by a tow truck, call Cellino Law right away. We can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries and financial damages.
Instability of the load
Flatbed tow trucks are more likely to be involved in accidents than other types. This is due to the instability created by the cargo being hauled. Cars resting on the flatbed give the tow truck a high center of gravity. This gives it a higher risk of shifting back and forth while going down the highway. When this happens, the cargo can break off and fall into traffic.
If the car being hauled was damaged in an accident, the shaking can force pieces of that vehicle to become dislodged. Both of these scenarios create a danger for other motorists and pedestrians alike. Not only can falling debris cause damage and injuries, but drivers will also try to swerve out of its way and hit other vehicles.
Another cause of tow truck accidents is equipment failure. If you are seeking compensation for your injuries, you may be able to file two lawsuits here. The manufacturer who created the equipment that failed might be held responsible for what happened.
It is also the job of the tow truck company to properly maintain their equipment. All lighting and warning signs must be working properly. Faulty parts, like brakes or tires, can cause injuries or death.
Failure to train
Tow truck companies are responsible for training their workers on how to operate the trucks and their safety features. This training should be extensive and required of anyone who desires to work in the towing industry. Workers should know how to load and secure vehicles onto trucks and conduct regular inspections, but companies might bypass this necessary training to get drivers on the road quicker.
What You Should Do After a Tow Truck Accident
The moments during and after a vehicle accident are often scary. It helps to know what you should do after an accident with a tow truck.
After a collision:
- Try to stay calm
- Check yourself and your passengers for injuries
- Safely move away from traffic
- Call for emergency services
- Record eyewitness information
- Take pictures of the scene
- Collect information from the tow truck driver, including his permit number
- Contact your insurance company
- Call a tow truck accident lawyer
Why You Should Hire a Tow Truck Accident Lawyer
New York is a “No-Fault” insurance state. This means that reimbursement for your injuries, pain, and medical bills will come from your insurance company. The problem is that most people pay the least amount they can for their insurance premiums. There is a chance that your injuries and medical bills are higher than the amounts covered by your liability insurance.
To receive the additional compensation, you must prove that your case surpasses the no-fault threshold. The no-fault threshold determines whether your injuries are severe. This means you might be eligible to receive more money to get you through your recovery. This is a battle that must be fought in court.
We Handle Tow Truck Accidents
Cellino Law has decades of experience handling personal injury cases. We know New York’s statutes and laws like the backs of our hands. As our client testimonials show, we are a trustworthy team that will be there for you through thick and thin.
If you have been injured by a negligent tow truck driver, we will fight for every dollar you deserve. Our team of attorneys will go to work right away, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
There is no fee unless you win. You have nothing to lose by giving us a call today at (800) 555-5555. Our associates are standing by 24/7 for a free consultation on your case.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.