Speeding accidents cause unnecessary pain and suffering for victims and their families. A speeding driver not only endangers his or her own life but also the lives of other motorists and pedestrians.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), speeding accounted for 26 percent of all traffic fatalities nationwide. This included 266 speed-related deaths in the State of New York in 2019.
If you have been among the New York speeding accident numbers, please make sure to seek legal advice from an experienced car accident lawyer with Cellino Law as soon as possible. Our car accident lawyers can look into your case and find out what financial damages you might be able to recover.
When we take on your case, we will fight for the maximum amount of compensation available to you. Call us at (800) 555-5555 for a free, no-obligation case evaluation to ensure you get the right advice for your case.
How is Speeding Relative to Road Conditions?
Generally, speeding is a form of aggressive behavior a person displays when driving over the legal maximum speed limit. Speeding drivers disregard the laws that have been put in place to protect New York residents. Speed limits are set to protect all road users. When these are ignored, accidents happen, causing needless pain and heartache to injured parties and their families.
However, even if a driver sticks to the legal speed limit but it is still too fast for the current road or weather conditions, he or she can still cause a serious accident.
A driver is required to adjust his or her speed according to:
- Wet or slick roads
- Snow-packed roads
- Limited visibility
- Limited space available
- Traffic conditions
- Traffic accidents
- Pedestrians or other distractions
- Emergency vehicles on the road
The New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) even recommends driving below the posted speed limit for a safe journey.
New York Traffic Laws for Speeding and Risky Behavior
When speeding is combined with other dangerous behavior such as drunk driving, road rage, or distracted driving, driving becomes much riskier. If convicted, speeding drivers may face both traffic and criminal charges.
Although rare, there are some instances where a jury may award punitive damages if the at-fault party acted with complete disregard for the plaintiff’s safety and warrants punishment. One of our NYC speeding accident lawyers can examine your case and explain whether this is a viable option to pursue.
Types of Injuries Caused by a New York Speeding Accident
When speed is a factor in auto accidents, the injuries tend to be much more serious in nature. Victims may have to endure long hospital stays, lengthy rehabilitation, or permanent disability. Sadly, speeding accidents contribute to about one-third of all traffic fatalities in New York.
Speed-related motor vehicle accidents impact the everyday lives of victims and their families. Recovery may take months or years depending on the severity of the car accident injuries.
Common physical injuries crash victims may experience can include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Head injuries
- Neck injuries
- Organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Wrongful death
Emotional and mental trauma
Psychological wounds rarely have a quick-fix solution and can affect a person’s quality of life for years to come. Physical injuries may be easily identified, but emotional and mental trauma can go unseen for some time, unfortunately.
Survivors of serious car accidents may experience psychological trauma including:
- Anxiety and fear
- Extreme stress
- Emotional withdrawal
- Loss of relationships
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
How a New York Speeding Accident Lawyer Can Help
It can be overwhelming for speeding accident victims to juggle their health and economic needs while having to deal with insurance companies. Many are unaware of their legal rights, leaving them vulnerable to sly insurance adjusters. That is why it’s crucial to have an experienced personal injury lawyer by your side every step of the way.
We empower our clients by arming them with knowledge and understanding about their rights. Knowing they have the support of a qualified attorney can put you at ease, letting you make better-informed decisions for your sake and for your family’s.
Our New York speeding car accident lawyer’s duties include:
- Visiting the scene of the car crash to investigate and collect relevant evidence
- Interviewing witnesses and recording their statements
- Gathering police reports and affidavits
- Seeking help from qualified professionals to give supporting evidence
- Managing all communication and negotiations with insurance companies
- Preparing legal documentation to file a lawsuit with the courts, if necessary
- Keeping clients up to date with the progress of the case
If you have suffered harm due to the actions of a speeding driver, we can help you explore the financial recovery options available to you. Schedule a free consultation with Cellino Law and find out how we can efficiently handle your New York speeding accident case today.
How Does New York’s No-Fault Insurance Law Work?
New York is a no-fault state, which means Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance must be held by all vehicle owners. Thus, when you are involved in a New York speeding accident, your no-fault policy can cover your damages regardless of who caused the motor vehicle accident. This insurance scheme was designed to help victims receive prompt payments for their injuries to help them get back on their feet as quickly as possible.
No-Fault Coverage Benefits and Limits in New York
New York’s no-fault policy allows you to claim accident-related expenses up to $50,000 per person. This includes medical bills, lost wages, and reasonable out-of-pocket expenses. However, a claimant can’t seek compensation for non-economic damages.
If your losses exceed your no-fault benefits, you might be able to file a lawsuit to claim the additional expenses and any non-economic damages you have suffered. An experienced New York car accident attorney can examine your case to determine whether your case qualifies for these additional damages.
How to Seek Compensation Beyond No-Fault Benefits
To seek compensation beyond your no-fault benefits, you must prove that you sustained “serious injuries” as a result of the speeding accident. Our car accident lawyers understand the New York laws that govern no-fault policies and personal injury claims. We know what information you need to build a solid case to recover compensation for both your economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages relate to compensation for financial losses caused by your injuries. These damages are monetary costs that can be proven by bills and receipts.
Economic damages can include:
- Past, present, future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Property damages
- Funeral expenses
Non-economic damages refer to the psychological injuries a victim suffers after an accident. These damages don’t come with a price tag, so they can be harder to calculate.
Non-economic damages may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Anxiety and stress
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
Cellino Law has successfully recovered over $2 billion for our clients helping them to move past the damage and forward with their lives. Let us put our knowledge and experience to work to help you get the justice you deserve.
How Can I Establish Negligence in the State of New York?
All drivers are required to abide by the law and drive their vehicles in a reasonably safe manner. When a negligent driver speeds and causes harm to others, he or she can be held liable for the resulting damages. According to New York’s negligence laws, compensation can only be rewarded when the following four facts are established:
- Duty: The driver has a duty to all motorists and pedestrians on the road to obey traffic laws and exercise caution when driving
- Breach: The driver breached that duty of care through wrongful action, a failure to act, or careless behavior
- Causation: The driver’s actions, or lack of action, caused your injuries
- Damages: The injuries you suffered led to your financial damages or mental anguish
Where to Get Reliable Legal Counsel for Your New York Speeding Accident Case
Speeding accidents place a heavy burden on the lives of victims and on their families. Many wonder how they will pick up the pieces of their lives and start to rebuild a new life. But the legal team at Cellino Law is here to help you through this challenging time.
If you have been injured or have lost a loved one in death due to a speeding accident, you do not have to carry your burdens alone. We have over 60 years of combined experience in helping New York residents find satisfying solutions for their legal concerns.
If you have questions about your case, a qualified personal injury lawyer can sit down and discuss the options available to you. We work on a contingency basis, so you don’t need to pay a thing until we successfully win your case.
Let Cellino Law make a difference in your life. If you hire us, you will have access to experienced legal professionals who know how to handle personal injury litigation the right way.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- My experience during the time of negotiations was extremely positive. Josh Sandberg handled my lawsuit with the utmost integrity. He returned all my phone calls in a timely manner and answered all my questions. Josh made things less stressful. I would highly recommend Josh and the entire staff at Cellino Law.
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.