Customers go to stores to pick up essentials, shop for gifts, and buy groceries. However, they could unexpectedly suffer a slip and fall accident due to walking hazards in the store, like wet or slippery floors, loose floor tiles, or wires splayed across the floor. These walking hazards can cause a person to lose their balance and fall, colliding with the hard ground.
Slip and falls that happen in stores can result in severe injuries like shoulder injuries, back and neck injuries, and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Slip and fall accident victims can experience significant economic and non-economic damages, such as medical bills, lost earning potential, and loss of enjoyment of life.
They can pursue compensation for damages by filing a slip and fall accident with the property owner, property manager, or an employee for their negligence that caused the slip and fall accident.
Causes of Slip and Falls That Happen in Stores
A slip and fall accident occurs when an unexpected walking hazard causes someone to fall to the ground, suffering an injury from the harmful impact with the hard floor. This type of personal injury accident can happen in multiple locations, such as a sidewalk, private home, restaurant, or workplace.
Stores are one of the most common locations where slip and fall accidents occur. Customers flock to stores to buy food, everyday items, and material possessions. Large crowds can create walking hazards by causing damage to floors, knocking things over, or causing water spills. The hustle and bustle of a busy store can lead to people not paying close enough attention to where they are walking, causing them to miss a walking hazard that can result in a slip and fall accident.
The following are some store walking hazards that can cause a slip and fall accident:
- Wet floors from food and liquid spills
- Merchandise on the floor that fell from shelves
- Wires running across the floor
- Loose or broken floor tiles
- Torn carpets
- Winter conditions like snow or ice outside of the store
- Parking lot potholes
- Broken or missing steps
- Poor lighting
Common Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
Falling to the ground can result in slip and fall accident victims suffering serious, life-altering injuries. Most stores have hard linoleum floors that provide no cushion for someone who falls down. A slip and fall accident in a store can expose a victim’s muscles, tendons, ligaments, vertebrae, and bone to harm, leading to severe physical injuries.
The following are some common slip and fall accident injuries:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Bone fractures
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Broken tail bone
- Shoulder injuries
- Knee injuries
- Facial injuries
- Internal injuries
Slip and fall accident victims can suffer damages that can affect their physical health, finances, and quality of life, such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. They can pursue compensation for these damages by filing a slip and fall accident claim with the at-fault party.
Property Owners Liable for Slip and Fall Accidents at Stores
Before filing a slip and fall accident claim, the victim must determine which party’s negligence caused the accident. In most cases, the property owner is held liable for damages in a slip and fall accident claim because they own the property and are responsible for ensuring it’s safe.
If there is a walking hazard at a store, the property owner must ensure the walking hazard is fixed to prevent victims from suffering slip and fall accidents. Failing to do so can leave them liable for damages in a slip and fall accident claim.
Property managers who run stores on a daily basis can also share liability for similar reasons. They are in charge of the store’s daily operation and should instruct employees to fix walking hazards that can expose customers to harm. If a preventable walking hazard is left unfixed, the property manager could share liability for damages.
Slip and Fall Accidents at Stores Caused by Employee Negligence
Employee negligence can also cause store slip and fall accidents. They can make mistakes, such as spilling water, knocking over merchandise, or leaving objects on the floor, which can cause slip and fall accidents. If they make one of these mistakes and fail to fix it, they can be held liable for damages in a slip and fall accident.
They can also share liability if they do not fix an issue their property owner or manager requests them to fix. For example, a property manager may ask an employee to mop a wet floor sign to ensure no one slips on an ice spill. Employees who fail to do so can share liability in a slip and fall accident claim.
Why Should You Hire a Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer?
After a slip and fall accident, a victim can file a slip and fall accident claim to pursue compensation for damages. However, this process can be complex for victims to handle alone. They do not have experience handling slip and fall accident claims and can make mistakes affecting their ability to recover fair compensation.
Their best chance of getting the most money possible to pay for their damages is to hire a slip and fall accident lawyer. They will know how to handle each step of the process effectively and can ensure mistakes cannot harm your settlement value. An experienced slip and fall accident lawyer can file the proper paperwork, gather evidence to prove the at-fault party’s liability, and negotiate a fair settlement with their insurance company.
Contact Cellino Law for Help With Your Slip and Fall Accident Claim
The slip and fall accident lawyers at Cellino Law have experience helping victims of slip and fall accidents at stores like Big Lots, Bath & Body Works, and Aeropostale. If a property manager, property manager, or employee fails to fix a walking hazard that causes a slip and fall, you could file a slip and fall accident claim to pursue compensatory damages. Our slip and fall accident lawyers can help assess your damages, determine the liable party, negotiate a fair settlement, and represent you in court. Contact Cellino Law today for a free slip and fall accident case evaluation by calling us at 800-555-5555 or leaving a message on our online contact page.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.