There are far too many instances where someone’s negligence leads to severe injuries – or worse. One of the most common results of negligence is slip and fall accidents. This type of incident results in the most visits to the emergency room. On average, 8 million people visit an ER after a fall, while 1 million need emergency treatment after slipping. Together, these two incidents account for more than 30% of all trips to the ER.
If you’ve suffered an injury in a slip and fall case caused by negligence, the attorneys with Cellino Law are ready to help you get the money you deserve. Please call (888) 555-5555 or use our online contact form for a free evaluation of your case.
When steps are broken, they may have uneven surfaces, missing sections, or weakened structural integrity. This compromises the stability of the step, making it more difficult for individuals to maintain their balance while walking on them. As a result, they may slip and fall, suffering a potentially debilitating injury.
Broken steps also often have irregular or jagged edges, making it challenging for people to place their feet securely on the step’s surface. This can cause individuals to misjudge their step or catch their foot on a protruding edge, leading to a sudden loss of balance and a subsequent slip and fall.
Handrails provide a crucial source of stability and support when ascending or descending stairs. Without a handrail to hold onto, individuals may struggle to maintain their balance, especially if they have mobility issues or encounter unexpected elevation changes. This lack of stability increases the risk of slipping and falling.
Stairs can be challenging to navigate, particularly for people with limited mobility or physical impairments. Handrails offer a secure grip and aid in distributing weight going up or down the stairs. When handrails are broken or missing, they may struggle to find a suitable means of support, making it more likely for them to lose balance and experience a slip and fall incident.
When encountering an uneven surface, a person could unexpectedly encounter changes in elevation or irregularities in the walking path. This can disrupt their balance and stability, causing them to stumble or lose their footing, suffering broken bones or worse injuries.
Cracked sidewalks, potholes, or damaged flooring create physical obstacles that can very easily cause someone to trip. Tripping hazards can include uneven edges, gaps, or protruding objects, which can catch a person’s foot and cause them to trip and fall.
Damaged carpeting, such as torn or frayed sections, loose edges, or ripples, can create tripping hazards. When someone walks on a damaged carpet, their feet can get caught in those imperfections, causing them to trip and potentially fall. A damaged carpet can also create an uneven surface that is not easily visible. This can lead to a loss of balance as individuals may unexpectedly encounter variations in height or shifting areas of the carpet, making it easier to slip and fall.
Worn-out or damaged carpet can also lose its original texture and grip. Without sufficient traction, people may experience their feet sliding or slipping on the carpet’s surface, leading to a loss of balance.
Spills or Clutter
Spills like liquids, oils, or food substances create slippery surfaces. If someone inadvertently steps on these spills, their feet can lose traction, causing them to slip and potentially fall.
One of the reasons spills are so dangerous is that they may not always be immediately visible, especially if they’re transparent or blend in with the flooring. Inadequate lighting or a busy environment can further obscure the presence of spills, making it easier for a victim to unintentionally step on them and experience a slip and fall accident.
Cluttered areas or scattered objects can disrupt the typical walking pattern and reduce the grip between a person’s footwear and the floor. This unexpected change in traction can make them lose their balance. Clutter, such as loose cables, debris, or objects obstructing walkways, can create tripping hazards. When people encounter cluttered areas, they may inadvertently trip over them.
Insufficient lighting makes it difficult to see potential hazards on the walking surface, such as uneven floors, changes in elevation, or obstacles. If someone can’t see where they’re walking, they’re obviously more likely to stumble or trip.
Inadequate lighting can also obscure or cast shadows on objects, obstacles, or hazards in walkways. This makes it challenging for people walking through the area to detect and avoid tripping hazards, such as steps, uneven surfaces, or clutter.
Ice or Snow
Ice or compacted snow creates a smooth and slippery surface, reducing the grip between footwear and the ground. Snow or ice can cover underlying uneven surfaces, such as cracks or bumps. This concealed irregularity can cause people to misjudge their steps, increasing the risk of a slip and fall accident.
In addition, ice or snow can hide other hazards beneath its surface, such as potholes, debris, or slippery substances. A person could unknowingly step on these hidden hazards, losing balance and suffering severe injuries.
Steps to Take After Slip and Fall Accidents
- Seek medical attention: If you suffer an injury in a slip and fall accident, seek immediate medical attention. Even if you don’t think your injury is that bad, get checked out anyway.
- Report the incident: Report the slip and fall accident to the property owner, landlord, or manager as soon as possible. Make sure to document the details of the incident, including the date, time, location, and any contributing factors.
- Gather evidence: Collect evidence related to the accident, such as photographs of the hazardous condition, contact information of any witnesses, and any other relevant documentation supporting your case.
- Document injuries and expenses: Keep a record of your injuries, medical treatments, and expenses incurred due to the accident. This documentation will be valuable when seeking compensation for your damages.
- Speak with an attorney immediately: Consult a slip and fall accident attorney specializing in personal injury law. They can provide legal guidance, assess your case, and help you navigate the legal process. While we’ll work to obtain a fair settlement on your behalf, we’ll be ready to take your case to court if that settlement offer isn’t forthcoming.
How Cellino Law Can Help You
The experts with Cellino Law have a deep understanding of slip and fall law. We also have a long track record of success representing clients injured due to the negligence of others. When you turn to us, we’ll immediately investigate the accident, collecting the evidence needed to help you obtain maximum compensation. Then we’ll hold those responsible for your suffering accountable for their carelessness.
Contact Cellino Law to Speak with a Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
Please don’t hesitate to schedule a free consultation with Cellino Law. We’ll be happy to answer whatever questions you may have and let you know exactly what to expect throughout your entire case. You can contact us online or call (888) 555-5555.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- My experience during the time of negotiations was extremely positive. Josh Sandberg handled my lawsuit with the utmost integrity. He returned all my phone calls in a timely manner and answered all my questions. Josh made things less stressful. I would highly recommend Josh and the entire staff at Cellino Law.