Slipping and falling at a friend’s house is a complex thing. Many people don’t want to sue their friend, but on the other hand, they’re facing injuries and high medical bills.
If the slip and fall was an accident, you have the right to seek a compensation claim through their insurance. If your friend doesn’t have insurance, the situation will become complex, but you still should seek compensation to cover your injuries.
A New York slip and fall attorney will advise you for such a case.
Slip and Fall Injuries
Slip and fall injuries are notorious for head and spinal cord injuries. Of course, people may end up with broken arms or legs, but the spine and the head suffer the most.
When falling on your head, you can easily lose consciousness, and end up with severe brain trauma. When falling, it’s very likely that you will hit your head on an object nearby such as a wall, or a piece of furniture.
For example, falling in the kitchen can be quite dangerous, because there are sharp edges where you can hit your head (counter, drawers).
Slipping and falling in the bathroom is also risky because you can hit your head on the bath nozzle or the tiles.
Other common injuries include tissue damages, cuts, or abrasions.
Assessing the Damages and Opting for Coverage Options
You would need medical help after the fall. Depending on your injuries, your bills may vary between a couple of thousands to several hundreds of thousands of dollars. Everything depends on the treatment you will need. Some people need surgeries, others will have to stay in the hospital for some time. Head trauma, for instance, requires a long recovery.
The hospital costs are just one factor of your damages, but you should get help from experts to determine all damages. For instance, you will be absent from work, which will affect your earning. Also, your psychological health will suffer.
All of these damages should be considered when seeking your compensation claim. Your attorney will help you put all the economical and non-economical damages in your request.
Homeowners Insurance Coverage for Slip and Falls
Your friend should have homeowner’s insurance which will cover your damages. However, the main question is if the homeowner had a chance to fix the problem (faulty stairs, damaged floor, leeks for e.g.). In most cases, even the homeowner wasn’t aware of the problem. If they knew, they would have probably fixed it. However, if the homeowner was aware or not, you can still seek a compensation claim.
One of the main purposes of homeowners having homeowner’s insurance is to avoid liability claims against them.
Even in cases where the person is renting the home, the landlord will be responsible to get a homeowner’s insurance. If your friend’s home is rented, then they may not be liable for the problem that led to the slip and fall. The claim, in such a case, will be directed to their landlord.
Get Help from a Personal Injury Attorney
Never underestimate the damages and injuries you can get from a slip and fall accident. It doesn’t matter if you fall in a home that is familiar to you. Sometimes even small things such as debris, liquid, or uneven floors can lead to a slip and fall accident.
No matter how careful you are, accidents happen. Your friend might not even realize there was damage on the floor or an uneven surface in the backyard.
It’s important to understand that the lawsuit against the homeowner, your friend, in this case, isn’t against them. It is not a personal thing. It is just your right to seek compensation for all the expenses that you will face after the accident.
Collecting your damages should not impact your friendship.
If you were involved in such an incident and don’t know what to do, how to start this process, or whether or not to file for a compensation claim at all, you should seek legal help from a skilled personal injury attorney.
Our team at Cellino Law has the experience and is here to answer your questions and dilemmas.
Keep in mind that even if you file for a claim, the insurance company will try to find ways to offer a lower settlement or deny it entirely. They may argue that you weren’t careful and that you should have to pay attention to your steps.
Let our team help you get your claim.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.
- Tim Cellino handled my case beautifully. He is very knowledgeable and patient with all my questions. He kept in touch with me through out my ordeal. Tim also got a settlement for more than I expected. I highly recommend Tim Cellino!
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!