Accidents happen all the time and unfortunately, people get injured. But what if the car insurance policy holder dies? Is the insurance company required to pay?
When a person dies in a car accident, one of the driver’s insurance companies will cover the damages. However, which company will pay, how much will they pay, and what damages will be covered, will depend mainly on the type of the accident.
If your loved one was killed in a car crash, you should file for a compensation claim. Even though moments like that are harsh, you shouldn’t delay the claim. Consult with a New York car accident attorney if you find yourself in such a situation.
Which Insurance Company Pays When a Person Dies?
In most cases, the at-fault driver’s insurance company will be the one that pays for the damages and injuries, including death. If the driver has auto insurance, then their insurance company is responsible for the damage.
If you’re a victim of a car accident or have lost a loved one in a crash, you should file an insurance claim to seek a settlement. However, things don’t go smooth, since insurance companies aren’t fond of paying high settlements. They may use some of these tactics:
- The company may offer a lowball settlement upfront in hope that you’ll accept it because you’re desperate.
- They may try to get info that can be used against you.
- The company may intimidate the victim and their family.
In case the victim dies in a car accident, their family will file for the damages.
Who Will Get the Settlement When a Person Dies in a Car Crash?
The victim’s family should be able to file a compensation claim if their loved one dies in a car accident.
Usually, the surviving spouse, children (if there’s no spouse), or parents (if there’s no spouse or no children) can file the compensation claim.
If the victim has children and a spouse, the spouse can file a wrongful death claim, but the settlement must be shared with the children. The spouse should get at least one-third of the compensation no matter how many children the deceased had.
How Much Does the Insurance Company Pay to the Deceased’s Family?
The amount the insurance company will pay will depend on the degree of fault of the driver who caused the accident, the total damages the deceased and their family face because of the accident, and if the family has legal representation.
Wrongful death claims may include medical bills, funeral and burial costs, property damage, as well as pain and suffering the victim experienced before the death.
When filing for this claim, the family of the deceased person will have to show that the at-fault driver was negligent and that their loved one died because of the accident.
Insurance companies aren’t eager of paying high amounts, but this shouldn’t be the case if you have a skilled attorney by your side.
In case the other driver is uninsured, you should ask your insurance carrier about such a case. If your policy has underinsured or uninsured coverage, it could save you if the other driver isn’t able to pay for the damages.
What to Do If a Loved One Dies in a Car Accident?
Although during times like these people can hardly think of anything else, it’s important to consult an experienced wrongful death lawyer as soon as possible. The lawyer would help you file the compensation claim. Facing the insurance company on your own might be stressful and in a time of mourning, it’s the last thing you want.
Your attorney works on the case so you do not have to worry about what to do.
If the insurers offer a low settlement, your attorney would certainly advise you not to accept it. There will be negotiation until you get a suitable offer.
Many people end up with lower settlements because they fear that the company won’t offer anything higher, out of desperation, or simply because they want to get over with that and simply have at least something.
Don’t rush this, no matter how painful it was. Not only will the claim cover the medical expenses and property damages, funeral, and burial fees, but also will help you move on with your life. If you’re looking for an experienced attorney in this area, the Cellino Law attorney team is here for you. Allow us to review your case.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.