When walking around sidewalks and buildings in New York, there can be walking hazards like wet floors, icy walkways, and missing steps that can cause slip and fall accidents. New Yorkers can slip and fall onto the hard floor, sustaining severe injuries from the blunt-force trauma.
Slip and fall accidents in New York are quite prevalent; locals and tourists should take steps to avoid these traumatic accidents. Some ways to avoid a New York slip and fall accident are to pay attention, wear non-slip shoes, use handrails, walk slowly, and do your best to avoid walking hazards.
In some cases, a slip and fall accident can happen unexpectedly, leading to someone suffering significant injuries and damages. A New York slip and fall accident victim can file a personal injury claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company to pursue compensation for damages.
Where Can Slip and Fall Accidents in New York Occur?
New Yorkers can experience slip and fall accidents anywhere they walk. These traumatic accidents can commonly happen on sidewalks and parking lots, especially in wintry conditions. Unsalted sidewalks covered in ice and snow can cause someone to lose their balance and fall to the ground, possibly suffering a serious injury.
Slip and fall accidents can happen at public properties, such as museums, restaurants, and stores. They commonly occur at busy stores, such as Big Lots, Bath and Body Works, and Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Store employees can leave walking hazards unfixed, and customers can come into contact with them without realizing they are there.
New York slip and fall accidents can also occur in private locations, such as a friend’s home. Homeowners must ensure their home is as safe as a public location. Homeowners and landlords can be liable for walking hazards causing slip and fall accidents.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in New York
Slip and fall accidents result from walking hazards, which can impede a person’s ability to walk safely. In most cases, this is a physical object or liquid that can get in the way of their walking path. Someone may not see it without a warning and can walk directly into it, falling to the floor and possibly suffering a life-threatening injury.
Walking hazards can also qualify as the absence of something that can make walking easier, such as missing steps, railings, and light sources. A homeowner can share liability for slip and fall accident damages if they cause an accident by leaving a walking hazard unfixed.
The following are some walking hazards that can cause New York slip and fall accidents:
- Wet floors
- Loose floorboards
- Wires stretched across the floor
- Parking lot potholes
- Missing steps
- Poorly lit walkways
- Elevated platforms without railings
- Debris in walkways
- Icy sidewalks
Remain Alert While Walking Around New York
Distractions can affect everyone in all facets of life and lead to mistakes. While people know about the dangers of distracted driving, people can also walk around while distracted and miss out on things in their way while walking.
Not all walking hazards are immediately apparent, so New York walkers must pay attention to where they are going. If they see that a sidewalk is slippery or there is a missing step, they can adjust how they walk to avoid the danger and prevent a slip and fall accident.
New York walkers should also take it slow when walking around. When someone is in a rush, they may miss a walking hazard that can cause a slip and fall accident. When walking on a sidewalk or a property, New Yorkers should take it slow and pay attention to protect themself from a slip and fall accident.
Non-Slip Shoes Can Help Avoid Slip and Fall Accidents During Wintry Conditions
New York can have wintry conditions, such as ice, sleet, and snow, making walking outside difficult. While streets and sidewalks are salted to prevent slippery surfaces, there can still be issues for people commuting on foot.
Preventing slipping during wintry conditions can be made easier when someone wears non-slip shoes. The bottoms of these shapes are made of slip-resistant materials that make it much easier to gain and maintain traction when walking over wet and slippery surfaces.
Use Handrails and Other Helpful Objects to Avoid Slip and Fall Accidents in New York
There are locations where slip and fall accidents can occur, such as steps or an elevated platform, that have handrails to make the walk easier. These handrails can help someone stay on their feet and not lose balance.
For example, let’s say it’s snowed, and you have to walk up outdoor steps on your walking commute. The steps are likely too slippery for you to handle without assistance. You can use the handrail to prevent yourself from slipping and falling, causing severe injuries like facial injuries, broken bones, and a broken tailbone.
What Should You Do Following a New York Slip and Fall Accident?
After a slip and fall accident in New York, there are many steps to take to heal your physical injuries and recover compensation for damages. Slip and fall accident victims must receive medical attention and prove another party caused the accident through negligence to recover fair compensation for damages.
The following are some steps to take following a New York slip and fall accident:
- Take pictures and videos of the walking hazard
- Exchange contact information with the at-fault party
- See a doctor to receive medical attention
- Write down every detail you remember from the slip and fall accident
- Begin collecting evidence to prove the at-fault party’s negligence
- Hire a New York slip and fall lawyer
Contact Cellino Law for Help With Your New York Slip and Fall Accident Claim
At Cellino Law, our experienced slip and fall lawyers can help you recover compensation for economic and non-economic damages, such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. We understand how New York slip and fall accidents can occur and the best way to recover fair compensatory damages.
Our New York slip and fall accident attorneys can walk you through the settlement process to help you receive compensation from the at-fault party’s insurance company. Contact Cellino Law today for a free consultation by calling us at (800) 555-5555 or leaving a message on our online contact page.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe
- My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a fantastic job as our attorney. We could not have been more pleased with the work you and your team has done on this case. This past four years or so has been such a roller coaster for our family. We are very pleased and grateful with the result. We have made a good choice by choosing you. Thank you.
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.