- The construction industry is characterized by alarmingly high rates of injury and fatality
- Construction workers who are injured on the job are likely entitled to workers’ compensation benefits while they recover
- Falls are the most significant cause of fatal construction accidents
- New York construction workers face a higher risk of fatal occupational injury compared to the national average
- In 2019, there were 55 construction worker fatalities in New York, with subsets like Latino workers, recent immigrants, and those in smaller companies at higher risk.
- Workers’ compensation claims cover medical bills and lost wages for injured construction workers, even if they were at fault.
The construction industry deserves credit for establishing New York’s infrastructure, homes, schools, businesses, hospitals, and government buildings. Although its value is indisputable, construction work is widely considered to be one of the most accident-prone occupations in New York as well as the U.S. due to the high rates of injury and fatality.
Construction workers who have been injured on the job are often entitled to workers’ compensation benefits to offset the cost of medical bills and lost wages. Cellino Law has been the go-to personal injury law firm for New York construction accident claims for over 65 years because we deliver exceptional results. We encourage you to reach out to our team to schedule a free consultation by calling us at (888) 888-8888 or filling out our online form.
Most Common Causes of Fatality According to Construction Accident Statistics
New York construction sites rely on heavy machinery, flammable materials, and harsh chemicals to operate, putting workers at risk of catastrophic injuries. Even with safety protocols in place, the inherent hazards of a construction site are responsible for hundreds of fatalities across the U.S. each year. According to the CDC, falls are the leading cause of fatal construction accidents.
Their data indicates that about half of the 991 fatal fall accidents in 2019 involved a construction worker plummeting from an elevated surface. This represents a 25% increase in this type of fatal construction accident from the year before. After falls, the most common causes of fatal construction accidents are struck-by accidents, electrocution, and caught-in-between accidents.
Struck-by accidents can become deadly when a worker sustains a head injury from the impact or loses their balance and falls or stumbles into harm’s way. Even brief contact with high-voltage electricity can induce a fatal cardiac event and cause lethal electrical burns. Construction workers who become trapped by equipment, materials, or vehicles are at risk of life-threatening crush injuries.
New York Construction Accident Statistics Reveal How Many Construction Workers Die Each Year
New York construction workers are at a higher risk of fatal occupational injury than the typical construction worker in the U.S. Nearly a quarter of New York workplace fatalities are construction workers, which is 3% higher than the national average. The New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health reported 55 construction worker fatalities statewide in 2019.
In New York City, about 20 construction workers are killed on the job every year. The NYCOSH report on construction accidents also identified subsets of workers who are more vulnerable to being killed in New York construction accidents. These demographics include:
- Latino construction workers
- Recently immigrated construction workers
- Construction employees working for a company with fewer than 20 employees
- Construction workers who are employed at non-union job sites
Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim After a New York Construction Accident
While passersby are occasionally injured as a result of construction work or vehicles, construction accidents generally involve employees. Occupational injuries are usually compensated via the workers’ compensation claims process. Injured construction workers can recover partial compensation for their related medical bills and lost wages, even if they were at fault.
If an employee’s catastrophic injuries render them unable to work for an extended period of time or permanently, they may be entitled to disability benefits. For cases involving fatal construction accidents, the family of the deceased worker may receive benefits to go towards funeral expenses, last medical bills, and lost income.
After a construction accident, make it a priority to protect your eligibility to file a New York workers’ compensation claim. To start with, report your injury to your employer within 30 days. You should also see a healthcare provider as soon as possible to receive treatment for your construction accident injuries so your employer’s insurance carrier has one less reason to be skeptical of your claim. Consider hiring a construction accident lawyer to represent your interests.
The Construction Accident Lawyers of Cellino Law Have a Reputation For Quality Service
Keep in mind that workers’ compensation claims often cover only a portion of your economic damages, making it all the more important to maximize your benefits. With the help of our expert workers’ compensation attorneys, you can secure the financial support you need to afford medical bills and the loss of an income source.
At Cellino Law, we have been a consistent voice for injured workers in their time of need for more than six decades, with excellent results. We know that trust is earned, and we strive to be worthy of the faith our clients have in our skills. Our team will not hesitate to advocate for the workers’ compensation benefits you deserve after your New York construction accident.
Contact Cellino Law to Discuss Your New York Construction Accident Claim Today
Construction workers have played a pivotal role in helping New York prosper, but they incur significant risks to do so. The construction accident lawyers of Cellino Law are persistent when it comes to advocating for our clients’ rights, and we will unapologetically pursue the maximum workers’ comp benefits you are entitled to receive.
Our team’s unrivaled work ethic has been one of our greatest assets during our six decades of service to New Yorkers. If you have been seriously injured or lost a loved one in a New York construction accident, you could benefit enormously from our robust legal services. To schedule a free consultation, call (888) 888-8888 or fill out our online form.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does it cost to hire a New York construction accident lawyer?
As the injured party, it costs you nothing upfront to hire a personal injury lawyer to negotiate your workers’ compensation claim after a construction accident. They will represent you with the goal of reaching a fair resolution, at which time they recover a contingency fee from the compensation they negotiated.
For workers’ comp claims, this contingency fee is usually between 10 and 20%, but you should ask your construction accident lawyer about their specific rate. If they can’t settle your construction accident claim, you do not owe them any payment for their services.
How soon after my construction accident do I need to file a workers’ compensation claim?
If you have been injured in a New York construction accident and you want to have the option of filing a workers’ compensation claim, it is imperative that you report your construction accident injury to your employer within 30 days of the incident. Otherwise, your employer’s insurance carrier can deny your claim. In New York, you have 2 years to file a workers’ compensation claim to secure benefits.
Who is at fault in a New York construction accident?
Fault is not a consideration in workers’ compensation claims, which comprise the majority of construction accident cases. However, there are a few instances where a party’s negligence may warrant a personal injury claim instead of a workers’ compensation claim. At that point, ascertaining who is at fault for the construction accident would become relevant.
For example, if your employer’s gross negligence caused your construction accident injuries, that could be grounds for a personal injury claim. An intentional tort perpetrated by a co-worker or supervisor would also qualify. Finally, a third party, such as a forklift parts manufacturer, could be liable for damages in a personal injury claim if their negligence caused the construction accident.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe
- Now that reality has set in, I want to thank you for all your work and assistance in obtaining my settlement for the pelvic mesh. This money will make my life so much easier in the future. Medicare just isn't sufficient. I know that I will have enough to live on. I truly appreciate of your efforts. Thank you!
- We'd like to thank you for all the assistance and time you spent on our case. Your professionalism and honesty will always be appreciated. The staff was always courteous and we were always impressed with your accountability. Your passion and dedication will never be forgotten, nor will you.
- Tim Cellino handled my case beautifully. He is very knowledgeable and patient with all my questions. He kept in touch with me through out my ordeal. Tim also got a settlement for more than I expected. I highly recommend Tim Cellino!
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.