There are a lot of similarities when it comes to motorcycle accidents vs. car accidents. They both involve motorized vehicles and can result in severe injuries and fatalities. But that’s about where the similarities end. There are many more differences between the two than you might have imagined.
If you’ve suffered an injury or lost a loved one in a motorcycle or car accident caused by someone’s negligence, contact Cellino Law as soon as possible. One of our experienced, skilled attorneys will tell you how we plan to help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
Motorcyclists are Considered “Vulnerable Road Users”
There’s no doubt that riding a motorcycle is one of the most liberating feelings anyone can have. But with that freedom comes significant risk.
Motorcyclists are considered “vulnerable road users” due to their limited protection compared to car occupants. While cars provide drivers and passengers with the protection of a sturdy metal frame, airbags, and seat belts, motorcyclists have little to shield them from the impact of a collision.
This lack of protection makes them more susceptible to severe injuries or tragic fatalities. Motorcyclists are exposed to direct impact, leaving them vulnerable to severe head injuries, spinal cord injuries, fractures, road rash, and internal injuries. The vulnerability of motorcyclists underscores the importance of raising awareness about their presence on the road and encouraging both motorists and motorcyclists to exercise caution and share the road responsibly.
Injuries Can Vary
In terms of injuries, there are distinct differences between motorcycle and car accidents. Motorcycle accidents often result in more severe injuries due to the lack of protective barriers. Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), are more prevalent among motorcyclists who aren’t wearing helmets. Spinal cord injuries and fractures are also common due to the direct impact of the collision.
Additionally, road rash, which occurs when a motorcyclist slides across the pavement. This injury can lead to severe skin abrasions, infections, and long-term scarring.
On the other hand, car accidents tend to involve a combination of impact injuries from collisions and injuries caused by seat belts and airbags. These include severe whiplash, fractures, concussions, and internal injuries.
Bikers are Stereotyped
Motorcyclists often face stereotypes that influence public opinion and bias in accident situations. Unfortunately, there’s a perception that bikers are reckless, thrill-seekers, and prone to dangerous riding behaviors. That’s usually how TV shows and movies portray riders.
As ridiculous as it sounds, people often believe what they see – and that can work against a rider when they’re hurt in an accident. These stereotypes can create biases during investigations and legal proceedings. The vast majority of motorcyclists are responsible riders who prioritize safety. But that doesn’t stop insurance companies from using stereotypes – employing other questionable tactics – to their advantage to deny riders their rightful compensation.
Overcoming these stereotypes is crucial for the fair and just treatment of motorcyclists involved in accidents. At Cellino Law, we’re well aware of the obstacles riders face when seeking justice. We use the facts of the case – facts based on hard evidence – to overcome whatever stereotypes the opposition tries to employ.
The Lawsuit Processes
The lawsuit processes for motorcycle accidents and car accidents share similarities but also have distinct differences. In both cases, it’s essential to gather evidence. This evidence, such as police reports, witness statements, and medical records, can support the claim.
However, due to the increased severity of injuries in motorcycle accidents, it’s often necessary to build a stronger case to establish liability and the extent of damages. Motorcycle accident cases may require expert testimonies, accident reconstruction, and detailed accident scene analysis.
Additionally, insurance companies may attempt to downplay the severity of injuries or shift blame onto the motorcyclist. Therefore, hiring an experienced attorney with extensive experience in motorcycle accidents is crucial to have the best chance of achieving a positive result in your case. Cellino Law attorneys will negotiate with insurers to achieve a fair settlement. But if that’s not possible, we’ll be well prepared to take your case to trial.
Resulting Damages from Motorcycle Accidents vs. Car Accidents
The financial losses, or “damages,” that result from motorcycle and car accidents are similar. Victims of each will usually have extensive medical bills and lose money because they can’t work. They may also suffer severe emotional distress.
The most significant difference is that motorcycle accidents frequently lead to more substantial damages due to the severity of injuries. Medical expenses, including emergency care, surgeries, rehabilitation, and long-term treatment, can be exorbitant. Furthermore, motorcyclists may experience significant pain and suffering and reduced quality of life. If a motorcycle accident is fatal, the emotional and financial toll on the surviving family members can be devastating.
Car accidents, while still capable of causing severe injuries and damages, may not always reach the same level of severity as motorcycle accidents. The protection provided by car structures, seat belts, and airbags can mitigate the impact and reduce the risk of injuries.
That’s not to say, of course, that car wrecks don’t lead to debilitating injuries and deaths. On average, however, the damages resulting from motorcycle accidents are typically much higher.
Motorcycle Accidents vs. Car Accidents: When to Hire a Lawyer
Determining when to hire a lawyer following a motorcycle or car accident is an important consideration. In both cases, you must seek legal representation immediately if you’ve sustained a severe injury. You’ll face high medical expenses and probably have to deal with stiff opposition from the insurance company. Seeking immediate legal counsel allows you to receive timely advice and ensure the preservation of crucial evidence.
However, due to the unique challenges associated with motorcycle accidents, it’s often more crucial to involve an attorney with significant experience handling these cases. They’ll have the expertise to gather the necessary evidence and navigate the complexities of your case.
Contact Cellino Law to Speak to an Experienced Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney ASAP After Your Accident
If you need legal assistance after a motorcycle or car accident, please don’t hesitate to contact Cellino Law. Our attorneys can provide the guidance and support needed to protect your rights and advocate for your best interests.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- My experience during the time of negotiations was extremely positive. Josh Sandberg handled my lawsuit with the utmost integrity. He returned all my phone calls in a timely manner and answered all my questions. Josh made things less stressful. I would highly recommend Josh and the entire staff at Cellino Law.
- We'd like to thank you for all the assistance and time you spent on our case. Your professionalism and honesty will always be appreciated. The staff was always courteous and we were always impressed with your accountability. Your passion and dedication will never be forgotten, nor will you.
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.