If you’ve been seriously injured in an accident that was caused by someone else, you may have the legal right to receive a settlement from that person’s insurance company to help cover any expenses that are not covered under your no-fault.
Unfortunately, many insurance companies will use dirty or deceptive tricks in order to pay as little as possible to an accident victim. Here are some of the dirty tricks and tactics insurance companies use:
Settling Claims Quickly and Cheaply
Many insurance companies will attempt to settle with accident victims as soon as possible in hopes that they will be able to settle for pennies on the dollar. Unfortunately, many accident victims already feel overwhelmed by medical bills, doctor visits, lost wages, or even repair costs to their property and insurance companies use that to their advantage.
Using Social Media Posts Against You
Insurance companies are known to scour social media sites to find any piece of evidence that they can use to devalue your claim. Even if you hide or delete a post that you’ve made in reference to your accident or your injuries, they can still be obtained as evidence with a subpoena.
Failing To Disclose The Full Amount Of The Insurance Policy
Insurance companies work hard to keep the value of the insurance policy a secret for as long as possible in an attempt to prevent the victim from receiving the amount that they may rightfully deserve under the law.
One Of The Popular Tactics Insurance Companies Use Is Making The Claim Process Difficult
If you’ve had to file an insurance claim before, you know how frustrating the process can be. These layers of bureaucracy are added in hopes that the accident victim will become frustrated with the process and either give up or fail to file the correct paperwork in order to receive adequate compensation.
Employing Stall Tactics
Big insurance companies are known for not returning calls, not returning emails and bouncing your claim from one adjuster to another. Since insurance companies know that an accident victim only has a limited amount of time to file a claim in court, they have been known to intentionally drag out the process in an attempt to prevent a victim from filing within the statute of limitations.
Requiring You To See A Doctor Or Specialist Of Their Choice
Similar to examining and repairing property damage, the insurance company you’re making a claim against may require you to see a doctor or specialist of their choosing. Since their goal is to pay as little as possible for medical bills, they will have you see a doctor that works within their network of providers. In most cases, the doctors of their choosing will be more likely to provide a medical analysis that is beneficial to the insurance company, but not to you.
How Can A Personal Injury Attorney Help?
If you’ve suffered injuries or losses in an accident, consider consulting with a reputable personal injury attorney in your area. When retained, an experienced personal injury attorney can alleviate the pressure and stress of dealing with the insurance companies by acting as your liaison. Your attorney will be able to file all the necessary paperwork needed to file a personal injury claim and negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf while you focus on rehabilitation.
For a free and confidential consultation, call the personal injury attorneys at Cellino Law at 888-888-8888. Our team is here 24/7 to help answer any questions you may have about the tactics insurance companies use and filing a personal injury claim.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- Tim Cellino handled my case beautifully. He is very knowledgeable and patient with all my questions. He kept in touch with me through out my ordeal. Tim also got a settlement for more than I expected. I highly recommend Tim Cellino!
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry