Too often, New York streets are the scene of serious traffic accidents, leaving motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists severely injured in the aftermath. Despite efforts to eliminate traffic fatalities and devastating injuries, these dangerous intersections and streets remain high-risk locations.
At Cellino Law, our personal injury lawyers believe that negligence should not go unanswered. Whether your injuries are attributable to an issue like a drunk driver, speeding motorcyclist, malfunctioning traffic light, or poorly designed intersection, we can help protect your right to seek compensation for your damages.
As New York personal injury lawyers, we are familiar with the multitude of costs that accompany traffic accident injuries, and we have the resources and expertise to successfully maximize your compensation. To schedule a free consultation, give us a call at (800) 555-5555 or contact us through our online form today.
Understanding Reasons for Dangerous Intersections in New York
The best thing that a road user—whether that be a driver, motorcyclist, bicyclist, or pedestrian—can do to avoid a collision is to behave predictably and make themselves visible. Unfortunately, this is not always enough to prevent an accident, especially at a busy intersection where distractions abound.
At an intersection, drivers must account for the vehicle in front of them, cyclists in the bike lane next to them, pedestrians waiting to cross, and the color of the light. The disruption of traffic flow and the congregation of vulnerable road users can increase the chance that a crash will occur.
That being said, New York intersections are not a monolith; some are much more dangerous than others. Certain characteristics can contribute to the likelihood of a traffic accident at an intersection, such as:
- Convoluted traffic patterns
- Stop signs or traffic lights located around a curve
- Inadequate lighting
- Intersections on high-speed roads
- Lack of crosswalks or bike lanes
- High volume of foot traffic
- Damaged infrastructure
Obviously, road users like pedestrians and cyclists are more vulnerable to catastrophic injuries as compared to passenger vehicle occupants. Their smaller size makes them more difficult to see, which leaves their fellow road users with less time to react and avoid a serious collision.
Dangerous Intersections and Streets in New York City
In 2023, several New York City intersections and streets already stand out as problem areas, with numerous crashes involving a variety of road users. Based on data collected from police reports on traffic accidents, the intersections with the highest number of traffic collisions include:
- Boston Rd. & Bronx River Parkway, Bronx
- Major Deegan Expressway & W Fordham Rd., Bronx
- Buffalo Ave. & Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn
- Cross Bronx Expressway & & Jerome Ave., Bronx
- Francis Lewis Blvd. & Grand Central Parkway, Queens
- Brookville Blvd. & Rockaway Blvd., Queens
- East 96th St. & Madison Ave., Manhattan
- Avenue R & Ocean Ave., Brooklyn
- Clove Rd. & Narrows Rd. N, Staten Island
- 3rd Ave. & E 40th St., Manhattan
Streets with high accident rates include Neptune Ave., Eastern Parkway, Broadway, and Lenox Ave., among others. This is only reflective of traffic collisions that were serious enough to warrant a police report, so there are likely other intersections that see comparable or higher rates of crashes.
How New York is Working to Make Dangerous Intersections Safer For All Road Users
Over the last decade, New York City has adopted an agenda called Vision Zero, which refers to a multifaceted approach to eliminating traffic deaths. It includes stricter penalties for reckless drivers, additional monitoring, and the implementation of technology like leading pedestrian interval signals.
Another recent method involves raising crosswalks by four inches to force drivers to slow down. Raised crosswalks are also favored because they are affordable and simple to install. Thus far, they have been somewhat successful in reducing traffic fatalities and injuries among pedestrians and cyclists.
The city is also testing traffic control patterns like the Barnes Dance. Basically, the lights are coordinated so that all pedestrians, scooter riders, and cyclists at an intersection cross the road at the same time to make intersections safer. The hope is that a mix of enforcement, equipment, and other innovative solutions will eventually reduce the number of traffic accident casualties to zero.
Why You Should Choose the Personal Injury Attorneys of Cellino Law to Represent You
If you are considering taking legal action after being injured in a dangerous intersection accident, you may be unsure where to begin or what types of damages you can be compensated for. At Cellino Law, our team has been guiding injured clients through the personal injury claims process for more than 65 years.
We will take over the administrative duties of filing your claim, as well as crafting an effective strategy to maximize your compensation. Our award-winning team can provide you with the organizational skills, expert legal insight, and valuable resources required to settle your claim.
As former clients will verify, the personal injury attorneys of Cellino Law are communicative and reliable advocates. We will not hesitate to stand up to insurance companies who want to reduce or deny your accident injury claim because we understand what is at stake for you and your family.
Contact Cellino Law About Your New York Personal Injury Lawsuit Today
The fallout of a New York City traffic accident can reverberate through your life, causing you to lose income, incur staggering medical bills, and suffer from both physical and mental health issues long after the accident. In this situation, you need a diligent and experienced negotiator to pursue compensation in a personal injury lawsuit.
As a leading New York personal injury law firm, our team at Cellino Law has repeatedly demonstrated our dedication to New Yorkers who have been injured by another party’s negligence. Our team will be with you from the evidence-gathering and deposition stage all the way through the trial phase if needed.
We can offer the legal guidance you need to successfully settle your New York personal injury lawsuit for the compensation you deserve. To begin the process of filing a claim, call us at (800) 555-5555 or contact us via our online form today to schedule a free consultation with our team.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- We'd like to thank you for all the assistance and time you spent on our case. Your professionalism and honesty will always be appreciated. The staff was always courteous and we were always impressed with your accountability. Your passion and dedication will never be forgotten, nor will you.
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a fantastic job as our attorney. We could not have been more pleased with the work you and your team has done on this case. This past four years or so has been such a roller coaster for our family. We are very pleased and grateful with the result. We have made a good choice by choosing you. Thank you.
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry