Car accidents can result in various types of injuries, including facial injuries. These injuries occur when the face comes into contact with the steering wheel, dashboard, airbags, windshield, or other objects within the vehicle during the collision. Facial injuries can range from minor cuts and bruises to more severe damage, affecting the bones, soft tissues, and nerves in the face.
If you’ve suffered a facial injury in a car accident, it’s essential to consult an experienced car accident attorney who can guide you through the legal process. A lawyer with Cellino Law will work to help you obtain maximum compensation from everyone who played a role in causing the wreck. Schedule a free review of your case by contacting us online or calling 1-800-555-5555.
How Do Car Accidents Cause Facial Injuries?
Car accidents can cause facial injuries due to the force and impact involved in the collision. When a car comes to a sudden stop or collides with another vehicle or object, the occupants inside the car experience rapid deceleration. This abrupt change in motion can cause the head and face to move forcefully in different directions, leading to facial trauma.
Not only can a victim’s face hit one of the interior vehicle surfaces mentioned above, but shattered glass from the windshield or windows can also result in cuts and lacerations.
Types of Facial Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
Car accidents can result in several types of facial injuries, all of which can have devastating consequences. Here are just some of the more common ones that occur.
Soft Tissue Injuries
These are among the most common injuries in car accidents and include cuts, bruises, and lacerations. These injuries can be superficial or deep, requiring stitches or surgical intervention to promote healing and minimize scarring.
The facial bones, such as the nose, jaw, cheekbones, and eye sockets, can fracture during a car accident. Fractures may range from simple fractures to more complex ones that require surgical repair. Facial fractures can cause pain, swelling, and difficulty breathing or eating. Broken facial bones may also alter the victim’s appearance.
The forceful impact of a car accident can cause dislocation of the jaw joint (temporomandibular joint) or other facial joints. Dislocation may result in pain, trouble opening or closing the mouth, and problems with jaw movement.
Car accidents can lead to dental injuries, including chipped or broken teeth, tooth intrusion (due to the force of impact pushing the tooth into the gum), or tooth loss. These injuries may require dental procedures, such as fillings, root canals, or dental implants, to restore the function and aesthetics of the teeth.
Symptoms of Facial Trauma
The symptoms of facial trauma resulting from car accidents may vary depending on the type and severity of the injury. Common symptoms include:
- Pain and tenderness in the face.
- Swelling and bruising.
- Cuts, lacerations, or bleeding.
- Difficulty in moving the jaw or mouth.
- Changes in facial appearance.
- Numbness or a tingling sensation.
- Vision problems, if the eye socket is affected
- Dental pain or tooth sensitivity.
Long-term Effects of a Facial Injury
Facial injuries caused by car accidents can have long-term effects on both physical and emotional well-being. Some of the long-term effects may include:
- Scarring and disfigurement: Severe injuries may result in permanent scarring and disfigurement, affecting a person’s self-esteem and confidence.
- Chronic pain: Injuries to the face can also lead to chronic pain, especially if there is damage to the nerves, muscles, or temporomandibular joint (TMJ). Chronic pain can significantly impact a person’s quality of life and require ongoing medical management.
- Functional impairment: Depending on the severity of the injury, there may be functional impairments such as trouble speaking, eating, or breathing correctly. Facial injuries can also affect the senses, including vision, taste, and smell.
- Emotional and psychological impact: These terrible injuries can have a profound impact on a person’s mental health and emotional well-being. The changes in appearance caused by facial trauma can lead to feelings of self-consciousness, social anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Mental Health Impacts Facial Injuries May Cause:
Victims of severe facial injuries can experience significant mental health impacts as well. These impacts can last for years or even decades, ruining a person’s quality of life. Some common effects include the following:
Body Image and Self-Esteem
Facial trauma can alter a person’s physical appearance, leading to body image concerns and decreased self-esteem. Coping with visible scars or disfigurement may require psychological support and counseling.
Social Anxiety and Isolation
Victims will often experience social anxiety and withdrawal from social activities due to self-consciousness or fear of judgment. This can lead to feelings of isolation and negatively impact personal relationships.
Facial injuries can cause emotional distress, including symptoms of depression, anxiety, or PTSD. Coping with the trauma and adjusting to the changes in one’s appearance can be emotionally challenging.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident Causes a Facial Injury
The moments after a car accident can be incredibly jarring, especially with an injury to the face. However, there are a few steps you should take to help your future lawsuit.
- Seek medical attention: Please seek prompt immediate medical attention for your injuries. Seeing a doctor as soon as you can help ensure your well-being and establish a record of your injuries and treatments.
- Document the accident and injuries: Gather evidence of the car accident and your injuries. This includes photographs of the accident scene and pictures of the injury. Keep copies of all your medical bills and any other relevant documentation.
- Consult with an experienced car accident attorney: Consult a skilled car accident attorney who specializes in personal injury cases. They can evaluate your case, collect evidence, help determine liability, and pursue compensation from all the parties to blame for your suffering.
- File an insurance claim: Your attorney will assist you in filing an insurance claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company. They’ll negotiate to seek a fair settlement that covers your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other related damages.
- Consider legal action: If the at-fault driver’s insurer refuses to settle, your attorney may recommend filing a lawsuit to pursue your claim in court. They will advocate for your rights and represent your interests throughout the litigation process.
Recovering Damages After a Facial Injury
If you’ve suffered a facial injury, you’ve likely been left with high bills to pay. Thankfully, by filing a car accident lawsuit, you can recover your damages. “Damages” is a legal term that refers to the losses you experience because of the accident. Damages can be economic (monetary) or non-economic (abstract).
Economic damages include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
Non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Permanent injury and disability
- Disfigurement and scarring
Speak with an Experienced Car Accident Attorney
Dealing with a facial injury caused by a car accident can be physically, emotionally, and financially challenging. It’s essential to seek legal guidance from an experienced car accident attorney who can navigate the complexities of your case, protect your rights, and help you seek the compensation you deserve. The attorneys with Cellino Law are standing by to provide personalized advice and support, allowing you to focus on your recovery and well-being.
You can schedule a free consultation by calling 1-800-555-5555 or using our online form.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe
- We'd like to thank you for all the assistance and time you spent on our case. Your professionalism and honesty will always be appreciated. The staff was always courteous and we were always impressed with your accountability. Your passion and dedication will never be forgotten, nor will you.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.