Personal injury attorneys in New York predominantly handle auto accident claims. For example, suppose you suffered an injury or lost a loved one due to someone’s negligent driving. In that case, lawyers for vehicle accidents can help you navigate the legal system and recover the losses you incurred while holding the at-fault driver liable for their actions. Consider what a personal injury lawyer does, the cases they handle, and how they can benefit your claim.
What Type of Law Do Lawyers for Vehicle Accidents Practice?
Vehicle accident lawyers practice personal injury law, also known as tort law. These cases are civil matters governed by state-mandated laws. Most auto accident lawyers work on a contingency fee basis because their clients often face devastating financial burdens while healing from physical injuries with heavy emotional consequences. They offer compassion and professionalism, taking over as the legal representative of their clients, protecting their rights and handling all communications with the insurance companies.
Personal injury law offers an avenue to recover the losses you incur from incidents involving another party’s negligence or malicious intent, and auto accident cases are the most common complaints presented in civil court. However, with the help of a vehicle accident lawyer, your case will likely settle without ever seeing the inside of a courtroom because an experienced attorney will use their legal knowledge to build a case meeting the burden of proof and listing all the damages available for recovery.
What Cases Do Lawyers for Vehicle Accidents Handle?
“Auto accident” is a broad characterization. There are many categories, and within those categories is the possibility of unique circumstances for every case. Consider some of the most common claims car accident attorneys see and what can make them challenging, especially for someone without experience in personal injury law.
Single and Multi-Vehicle Collisions
Collisions involving a single vehicle are not always the driver’s fault. For example, if you hit debris while driving on the highway that fell off the truck in front of you and crashed into the median, the truck driver would be liable for your damages. If a hazardous pothole causes you to lose control and crash, you might be able to hold the agency responsible for maintaining safe road conditions accountable for damages.
Multi-vehicle accidents can range from two vehicles colliding to a multi-car pileup, and the more vehicles involved, the more complex they can become. Accidents involving three or more cars can be challenging when determining liability, but an experienced attorney knows where to look for evidence of traffic violations and negligence.
Motorcycle accidents commonly have high states. Lawyers for vehicle accidents often deal with riders who suffered devastating injuries and families grieving the loss of a loved one. Motorcyclists abide by many of the same traffic laws as other motorists but also have laws unique to them. Understanding these laws is critical to building a solid case where people desperately need help.
Because fault is essential in accidents involving severe injuries, the position of the vehicles at impact is a critical factor to consider. Some common types of auto accidents defined by vehicle position include the following:
- Rear-end collisions are nearly always the rear driver’s fault, and the driver in front can suffer severe injuries.
- Head-on collisions are often severe, mainly when the accident occurs at high speed.
- Sideswipe accidents occur when vehicles collide while driving parallel. Common causes are improper lane changes and poor merging at on-ramps.
- T-bone accidents occur when one car drives head-on into the side of another. Either driver can be at fault, but these most commonly occur when someone runs a stop sign or red light.
Lawyers for vehicle accidents see each of these cases regularly. As a result, they can quickly assess who is liable and gather the supportive evidence needed.
Pedestrian and Cyclist Accidents
Pedestrians and bicyclists are vulnerable to auto accidents, so cases involving these parties require careful consideration. They often suffer severe injuries and need a fast and fair settlement to cover related expenses. They are also commonly struck in hit-and-run accidents, making legal representation even more critical in their pursuit of compensation.
Commercial Vehicle Accidents
Commercial vehicle accidents, or truck accidents, are most destructive when they involve standard passenger vehicles. They can cause excessive damage, leaving victims with substantial financial, emotional and physical burdens. Additionally, liability is sometimes complex because multiple parties, many of whom are not present when the crash occurs, can be liable for damages.
For example, if a large truck rolls over on a sharp turn, crashing into other vehicles, the driver could be liable if speeding. However, the party responsible for loading the truck could be liable for poorly securing it, causing the trailer’s center of gravity to shift. The trucking company could also be liable for incentivizing the driver to speed. Lawyers for vehicle accidents often face large corporations challenging their clients in these cases.
Can New York’s No-Fault Auto Insurance Policy Affect Your Claim?
Some auto accident cases can resolve without the fault-based system. This is because New York is a no-fault auto accident state. Before a licensed driver can operate a vehicle, they must purchase personal injury protection insurance. If you, any of your passengers or a pedestrian suffer injuries, state law mandates that everyone involved must file a claim with their own insurer through the PIP policy. It covers:
- All medical expenses deemed reasonable and necessary
- Up to $2,000 a month for three years or 80% of your lost monthly income
- $25 per day for a year to cover replacement expenses, such as help around the home or transportation to doctor visits
- A death benefit of $2,000 to the estate of anyone who died in the accident
The problem with PIP coverage is that it often is not enough to cover all expenses in cases involving severe injuries. For that reason, New York allows victims with bone fractures, significant disfigurement, substantial disability or limited use of a body organ, member, function or system to bypass the no-fault system and file a fault-based claim.
What Can Lawyers for Vehicle Accidents Do To Improve Your Claim?
When you hire an attorney to handle your car accident case, they take over all the tasks you would need to do to build your case. For example, they negotiate with the insurance company, investigate your accident, assemble evidence to support your claim and prepare your demand letter. They also handle all the overwhelming administrative work, completing and filing paperwork and ensuring you meet all the legal requirements. In addition, they guide you through the process, providing protection of your rights and helping you understand your options. Most importantly, they identify and value every potentially recoverable damage to ensure you receive adequate compensation.
When Should You Contact Lawyers for Vehicle Accidents?
Choosing the right team of lawyers for vehicle accidents is one of the most important decisions you will make. Auto accident victims face life-changing financial, emotional and physical circumstances, and having experienced legal representation can mean the difference between prolonged financial struggles and restoration. At Cellino Law, we have decades of experience helping accident victims in New York get the compensation they need and deserve, obtaining millions in recoveries for clients. Contact us at (800) 555-5555 today for your free case evaluation and speak with a qualified attorney.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe