Whether you’re in a busy city like Manhattan or a smaller village like Melville, New York, drivers must stay aware of their surroundings to prevent car accidents. Negligent drivers can expose others to health risks from car accidents when driving distracted, speeding, running red lights, or driving drunk. Car part manufacturers can also behave negligently in creating car parts and cause New York car accidents.
New York car accident victims that suffer severe injuries can hold the at-fault party accountable by filing a car accident claim with their insurance company. They can suffer significant damages, such as medical bills, lost earning potential, and mental anguish.
A car accident attorney can use their experience litigating car accident claims in New York to help victims file their claims, gather evidence, and negotiate a settlement with the at-fault party’s insurer.
Distracted Driving Can Cause a New York Car Accident
Car accidents commonly cause severe injuries and fatalities in New York. According to the New York State Department of Health, car accidents cause over 1,000 fatalities in New York each year and over 100,000 visits to emergency rooms. New York car accidents result from negligent behavior, such as distracted driving.
There are four types of distractions that can lead to a New York car accident: visual, manual, auditory, and cognitive. These distractions can divert a person’s attention by taking their hands off the steering wheel, eyes off the road, and focus away from driving safely.
A distracted driver may not notice another driver, required lane change, traffic control signal, or unexpected debris. Failing to properly adjust their speed, stop when required, and swerve out of the way of danger can cause a car accident that can expose other drivers to significant harm.
The Dangers of Drunk Driving in New York
Drivers that operate their car when they are above the legal drinking limit of 0.08 blood alcohol content can cause a New York car accident. When a driver is inebriated, their decision-making, reaction time, and vision can decline, making it hard for them to drive safely.
Drunk driving is the number one cause of motor vehicle accident deaths in the United States because inebriation by alcohol can leave a person incapable of driving safely. They can miss red lights, drive above the speed limit, and possibly drive in the wrong lane. People who have recently used drugs or strong medication also should not operate a vehicle, as it can negatively affect a person’s vision and cognitive ability.
New York Car Accidents Can Result from Speeding
A speeding accident occurs when a driver operates their vehicle above the listed speed limit and crashes into another car. Speed limits are instituted for a reason, as that is the safest speed a person can go and still respond to certain obstacles that may be in the way. It’s difficult for a driver to go well above the speed limit when they must account for stop signs, traffic control signals, and multiple chances to turn their car.
When a driver is speeding, they may not notice another car in their way, drive through a red light or stop sign, or fail to yield the right of way to another car or pedestrian. The driver will not have the proper amount of time to adjust their vehicle before crashing into another car at a stop sign, red light, or intersection, leading to them causing a catastrophic car accident that can cause severe injury.
Reckless Driving Behavior That Can Cause New York Car Accidents
Reckless driving is when a driver intentionally fails to properly drive their car in a way that can keep others safe. This can include disobeying road rules and intentionally driving their car aggressively.
This type of driving occurs when a driver has no concern for the health and well-being of other drivers out of frustration, stress, or lack of control. Reckless driving breaches duty of care, which is the standard of behavior expected by drivers to keep others on the road safe. A reckless driver can be held liable in a New York car accident claim for causing an accident through reckless driving behavior.
The following are some instances of reckless driving behavior that can cause a car accident:
- Failing to yield to other drivers
- Running red lights
- Failing to use a turn signal
- Not stopping at stop signs
- Failing to signal before a lane change
- Purposefully bumping into another car
New York Car Accidents Caused by Defective Car Parts
While most New York car accidents result from another driver’s negligence, defective car parts can also cause them. If a car part like brakes, ignition switches, or steering systems malfunctions, the driver will not be able to maintain control of their vehicle. They could lose control, swerve out, and crash directly into another driver.
In this case, the manufacturer, designer, seller, or distributor can be liable for damages. These companies are responsible for ensuring car parts are sold without problems that can lead to issues when driving. Failing to design and manufacture safe products can leave them liable for car accident damages.
Should You Hire a Car Accident Lawyer to Help You Recover Compensatory Damages?
A car accident lawyer with specific experience in New York can help with the process of pursuing compensation for damages. They will know the laws and procedures involved in filing a New York car accident claim and will be able to advise you along the way. A New York car accident lawyer can help by assessing the full cost of your damages, determining who caused the car accident, gathering evidence to prove your case, and negotiating a fair settlement with the at-fault party’s insurer.
Contact Cellino Law for Help With Your New York Car Accident Claim
The New York car accident lawyers at Cellino Law have a proven track record of earning over $2 billion in combined earnings for our past clients. We can help you recover compensation for car accident damages, such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our car accident lawyers have specific experience helping victims across New York State in places like Brooklyn, Manhattan, Long Island, and Queens.
We can use our knowledge of New York’s streets, car accident laws, and personal injury rules to help you recover fair compensatory damages. Contact Cellino Law today for a free New York car accident case evaluation by calling us at 888-888-8888 or leaving a message on our online contact page.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.