Whether you’re in a busy city like Manhattan or a smaller village like Melville, New York, drivers must stay aware of their surroundings to prevent car accidents. Negligent drivers can expose others to health risks from car accidents when driving distracted, speeding, running red lights, or driving drunk. Car part manufacturers can also behave negligently in creating car parts and cause New York car accidents.
New York car accident victims that suffer severe injuries can hold the at-fault party accountable by filing a car accident claim with their insurance company. They can suffer significant damages, such as medical bills, lost earning potential, and mental anguish.
A car accident attorney can use their experience litigating car accident claims in New York to help victims file their claims, gather evidence, and negotiate a settlement with the at-fault party’s insurer.
Distracted Driving Can Cause a New York Car Accident
Car accidents commonly cause severe injuries and fatalities in New York. According to the New York State Department of Health, car accidents cause over 1,000 fatalities in New York each year and over 100,000 visits to emergency rooms. New York car accidents result from negligent behavior, such as distracted driving.
There are four types of distractions that can lead to a New York car accident: visual, manual, auditory, and cognitive. These distractions can divert a person’s attention by taking their hands off the steering wheel, eyes off the road, and focus away from driving safely.
A distracted driver may not notice another driver, required lane change, traffic control signal, or unexpected debris. Failing to properly adjust their speed, stop when required, and swerve out of the way of danger can cause a car accident that can expose other drivers to significant harm.
The Dangers of Drunk Driving in New York
Drivers that operate their car when they are above the legal drinking limit of 0.08 blood alcohol content can cause a New York car accident. When a driver is inebriated, their decision-making, reaction time, and vision can decline, making it hard for them to drive safely.
Drunk driving is the number one cause of motor vehicle accident deaths in the United States because inebriation by alcohol can leave a person incapable of driving safely. They can miss red lights, drive above the speed limit, and possibly drive in the wrong lane. People who have recently used drugs or strong medication also should not operate a vehicle, as it can negatively affect a person’s vision and cognitive ability.
New York Car Accidents Can Result from Speeding
A speeding accident occurs when a driver operates their vehicle above the listed speed limit and crashes into another car. Speed limits are instituted for a reason, as that is the safest speed a person can go and still respond to certain obstacles that may be in the way. It’s difficult for a driver to go well above the speed limit when they must account for stop signs, traffic control signals, and multiple chances to turn their car.
When a driver is speeding, they may not notice another car in their way, drive through a red light or stop sign, or fail to yield the right of way to another car or pedestrian. The driver will not have the proper amount of time to adjust their vehicle before crashing into another car at a stop sign, red light, or intersection, leading to them causing a catastrophic car accident that can cause severe injury.
Reckless Driving Behavior That Can Cause New York Car Accidents
Reckless driving is when a driver intentionally fails to properly drive their car in a way that can keep others safe. This can include disobeying road rules and intentionally driving their car aggressively.
This type of driving occurs when a driver has no concern for the health and well-being of other drivers out of frustration, stress, or lack of control. Reckless driving breaches duty of care, which is the standard of behavior expected by drivers to keep others on the road safe. A reckless driver can be held liable in a New York car accident claim for causing an accident through reckless driving behavior.
The following are some instances of reckless driving behavior that can cause a car accident:
- Failing to yield to other drivers
- Running red lights
- Failing to use a turn signal
- Not stopping at stop signs
- Failing to signal before a lane change
- Purposefully bumping into another car
New York Car Accidents Caused by Defective Car Parts
While most New York car accidents result from another driver’s negligence, defective car parts can also cause them. If a car part like brakes, ignition switches, or steering systems malfunctions, the driver will not be able to maintain control of their vehicle. They could lose control, swerve out, and crash directly into another driver.
In this case, the manufacturer, designer, seller, or distributor can be liable for damages. These companies are responsible for ensuring car parts are sold without problems that can lead to issues when driving. Failing to design and manufacture safe products can leave them liable for car accident damages.
Should You Hire a Car Accident Lawyer to Help You Recover Compensatory Damages?
A car accident lawyer with specific experience in New York can help with the process of pursuing compensation for damages. They will know the laws and procedures involved in filing a New York car accident claim and will be able to advise you along the way. A New York car accident lawyer can help by assessing the full cost of your damages, determining who caused the car accident, gathering evidence to prove your case, and negotiating a fair settlement with the at-fault party’s insurer.
Contact Cellino Law for Help With Your New York Car Accident Claim
The New York car accident lawyers at Cellino Law have a proven track record of earning over $2 billion in combined earnings for our past clients. We can help you recover compensation for car accident damages, such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our car accident lawyers have specific experience helping victims across New York State in places like Brooklyn, Manhattan, Long Island, and Queens.
We can use our knowledge of New York’s streets, car accident laws, and personal injury rules to help you recover fair compensatory damages. Contact Cellino Law today for a free New York car accident case evaluation by calling us at 800-555-5555 or leaving a message on our online contact page.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I am very pleased (and surprised) at the amount of the settlement. We will use the funds to help pay down the debt on the truck we had to purchase after ours was totaled. Thank you again.
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.
- My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a fantastic job as our attorney. We could not have been more pleased with the work you and your team has done on this case. This past four years or so has been such a roller coaster for our family. We are very pleased and grateful with the result. We have made a good choice by choosing you. Thank you.
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- Now that reality has set in, I want to thank you for all your work and assistance in obtaining my settlement for the pelvic mesh. This money will make my life so much easier in the future. Medicare just isn't sufficient. I know that I will have enough to live on. I truly appreciate of your efforts. Thank you!