- New Yorkers should be cautious of the increased risk of car accidents over the Thanksgiving season.
- Most Thanksgiving travelers are driving to their destinations.
- With tens of millions of drivers on the road for Thanksgiving, safety experts believe there will be hundreds of fatalities and tens of thousands of serious injuries.
- Holiday traffic can lead to reckless driving behaviors, including drunk driving and distracted driving.
Thanksgiving has traditionally been regarded as the beginning of the hectic holiday travel season. Airports are overrun, trains are packed to the gills, and highways are clogged with cars making their way to the homes of friends and family. Given the number of travelers on the road and the unfavorable conditions that creates, New Yorkers should be wary of car accidents this travel season.
A New York car accident can quickly cut a Thanksgiving celebration short with painful injuries, unexpected medical expenses, and lost income. At Cellino Law, our car accident attorneys are experts at recovering maximum compensation for clients who have been injured by the negligent actions of another driver. Schedule a free consultation by calling us at (888) 888-8888 or filling out our online form.
Experts Predict Hundreds of Car Accident Fatalities Among Thanksgiving Travelers
Estimates from AAA show that a staggering 55.4 million people will travel for Thanksgiving in 2023, with nearly 90% of that group opting to travel by car. As travel rebounds from the interruption of the pandemic, New York drivers and their passengers should heed the warnings of safety experts and reduce their risk of injury by wearing seat belts and driving sober.
The National Safety Council released a grim risk assessment for Thanksgiving travelers who will be driving over the next several days. Data indicates that there will be 507 car accident fatalities during the Thanksgiving holiday season. The NSC also anticipates that there will be 57,800 car accident injuries that are severe enough to require medical evaluation.
Holiday Traffic Can Lead to Reckless and Aggressive Driving Behaviors
Traffic congestion is a known risk of traveling in the days surrounding Thanksgiving, but that doesn’t make it any less stressful. When drivers are caught in gridlock, they become more prone to frustration and distraction, especially if they have a longer way to travel. Drivers who are irritated or impatient may engage in risky behaviors like cutting other vehicles off or even road rage.
It is also easy for drivers to become distracted while navigating Thanksgiving traffic. Perhaps they’re mentally reviewing the menu, trying to locate their exit, or trying to pass their kid a snack. All it takes is a moment of distraction or one careless maneuver for a New York car accident to happen. Examples of unsafe driving habits include:
- Failure to yield
- Ignoring traffic laws
- Texting while driving
- Eating while driving
Alcohol is a Significant Factor in Serious Thanksgiving Car Accidents
Drunk driving consistently ranks among the top causes of car accidents across the U.S., and tragically, this pattern is more pronounced during the holiday season. More than a third of Thanksgiving car accidents involved drunk drivers in 2021, according to the NHTSA, which is 5% higher than the average for a non-holiday.
If you are planning to drink over the Thanksgiving holiday, keep in mind that you are impaired long before you reach the legal limit. Consuming alcohol can render you incapable of judging distance and speed, let alone exercising the muscle coordination needed to operate a vehicle safely. There is no safe distance to drive when you are intoxicated.
Why You Should Hire the Car Accident Attorneys of Cellino Law
No one wants to deal with the aftermath of a car accident, especially during the holiday season. At Cellino Law, we aim to make the personal injury claims process as hassle-free for our injured clients as possible because we understand that you have other commitments. New Yorkers have relied on us for invaluable legal advice for over 65 years to recover fair compensation.
Our undeniable ability to get results for our clients has won us the respect of injured New Yorkers and colleagues alike. We have had the opportunity to litigate some of the most complex personal injury cases, further honing our skills as researchers, investigators, and negotiators.
Contact Cellino Law For Help With Your Thanksgiving Car Accident
The skilled car accident lawyers of Cellino Law value each claim we represent, regardless of size, because we understand that the outcome of your case can have considerable implications for your health, finances, career, and general well-being. As a client of Cellino Law, you can benefit from our years of experience, access to resources, and detailed knowledge of legal procedures.
If your Thanksgiving travel plans have gone awry, our team of car accident attorneys can help you pursue compensation for your damages. The first step to securing a settlement that reimburses your medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages is to schedule a free consultation with our capable team by calling us at (888) 888-8888 or completing our online form.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I still recover compensation even if the car accident was partially my fault?
In general, yes, you can recover compensation in a car accident lawsuit even if your actions contributed to the collision. New York uses a pure comparative negligence standard in personal injury cases, which allows a plaintiff to recover the percentage of their settlement that corresponds with the percentage of fault the defendant is responsible for.
Do I need a personal injury lawyer if I was injured in a Thanksgiving car accident?
While you may be questioning whether your car accident case warrants hiring a lawyer, it is best to err on the side of caution and take your claim to a personal injury law firm to be evaluated in a free consultation. The personal injury lawyer will look for several elements in your case to determine if it would be appropriate to file a New York car accident lawsuit to recover compensation.
To begin with, the defendant must have owed you a duty of care, breached that duty with their negligent actions, and you must have sustained serious injuries as a result. If their feedback is that your Thanksgiving car accident is grounds for a personal injury claim, hiring a personal injury lawyer is necessary to ensure you are treated fairly by the insurance company.
How long do I have to file a New York car accident lawsuit after a Thanksgiving collision?
New Yorkers have 3 years to file a car accident claim if they want to remain eligible to seek compensation for their damages. Unusual circumstances can cause the courts to pause or extend the statute of limitations for filing a claim, but you should not bank on this happening.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.