- Seek medical attention as soon as you can after a Lyft car accident to protect your health and create a credible medical record.
- Obtain evidence from the scene of your Lyft car accident to verify and strengthen your case.
- Be careful when discussing the accident with insurance agents, and do not offer more information than necessary. Speak with a personal injury attorney before entering any settlement agreements.
- Explore your options for Lyft car accident lawyers before deciding on who you want to represent your personal injury claim.
New Yorkers can benefit from having an understanding of how to approach the aftermath of a Lyft car accident. By following these recommendations, you can potentially protect the integrity of your future personal injury claim and create a stronger case for maximum compensation in a Lyft car accident lawsuit.
The personal injury lawyers of Cellino Law are available to explain the conditions for establishing liability in a Lyft car accident lawsuit, how comparative negligence may factor into your claim, and what rights you have as the injured party when you schedule a free consultation with our team. We can be reached at (888) 888-8888 or through our online contact form.
Receiving Medical Attention Should Be Your First Priority
A Lyft car accident may leave you in a state of shock, making it difficult to process the true extent of your injuries. Once you are out of harm’s way, seek out a medical provider to assess and treat your car accident injuries. Not only does this reduce your risk of complications from an untreated injury, it creates a record that the insurance company and your attorney can refer to.
As an unbiased third party, a provider’s professional medical opinion is viewed as a credible source of information. Medical records are also needed to establish that your case meets New York’s serious injury threshold. By seeking prompt treatment, you are demonstrating to the insurance company that your injuries were as severe as you described and resulted from the Lyft car accident.
Make an Effort to Preserve Evidence of the Lyft Car Accident
An unfortunate reality of Lyft car accidents is that key evidence can be short-lived. To account for this obstacle, you can collect your own evidence from the scene of the collision. Make a note of the weather conditions or construction work, the contact information of any witnesses and all parties involved in the Lyft car accident, as well as the timeline of events while the details are fresh.
It is also a good idea to take pictures and videos of the scene from multiple angles, as these can be used as evidence to validate your account of the Lyft car accident provided that it meets New York’s standards. You can also contact law enforcement to handle the scene so that you have a police report to reference for evidence, as they will conduct their own assessment of the Lyft car accident.
Avoid Common Mistakes When Discussing Your Lyft Car Accident Case With the Insurance Company
After being injured in a Lyft car accident, you will likely have to deal with an insurance company. Approach any conversation with an insurance agent with caution, even if they work for your insurance company. Provide the agent with the basic details of your Lyft car accident, but do not give an opinion about who you think caused the collision or the severity of your injuries.
You may be contacted by an insurance agent working for the defendant, but you should never give a statement without first consulting with your Lyft car accident lawyer. This can be used to undermine your claim. It is also highly inadvisable to accept a settlement offer from the defendant’s insurance agent before your Lyft accident attorney has had the opportunity to negotiate on your behalf.
Research a Reputable and Experienced Lyft Car Accident Lawyer
Given the complexity of the typical rideshare accident claim, hiring a Lyft accident attorney is the most effective way to ensure that your claim will yield a fair settlement. When you are researching potential Lyft car accident attorneys, start with personal injury attorneys near you who have a verifiable record of settling claims and have experience dealing with rideshare accidents.
Once you have narrowed down your list, consider scheduling a few free consultations with different personal injury law firms. That will give you a better idea of how they communicate, if they actually have the rideshare law experience they claim to possess, what their caseload is like, and what they think your Lyft car accident settlement is worth.
How the Lyft Car Accident Attorneys of Cellino Law Can Help Maximize Your Compensation
At Cellino Law, we take pride in being able to offer comprehensive legal services to injured New Yorkers, as we have done for more than 65 years. Clients value our advice because they know it yields exceptional results, and it is offered with their best interests in mind. Our team has cultivated trust with our clients by being diligent advocates and honest communicators.
Contact Cellino Law About Your New York Lyft Car Accident Lawsuit
Although rideshare services like Lyft have been hailed as a solution to drunk driving, their drivers are still involved in their fair share of car accidents. If a Lyft driver’s recklessness has left you seriously injured, it is likely that you have sustained considerable medical bills, lost wages, and other non-economic damages like loss of quality of life.
As your New York Lyft accident lawyers, we will remain dedicated to pursuing maximum compensation for your damages until we are satisfied that your settlement acknowledges these losses. If that involves taking your case to trial, we are equipped to meet that challenge.
The personal injury attorneys of Cellino Law are a respected voice for injured New Yorkers based on our dedication to client satisfaction, and we are prepared to leverage our skills to secure the compensation you need for your Lyft car accident claim. We encourage you to reach out to us at (888) 888-8888 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the burden of proof in a Lyft car accident claim?
Lyft car accident lawsuits are considered civil disputes, which means that the plaintiff must meet the burden of proof to establish that the defendant’s negligence renders them liable for damages. The burden of proof standard for civil cases is a preponderance of the evidence, which roughly means more than half of the evidence is in favor of the plaintiff’s position.
Who is liable in a New York Lyft car accident lawsuit?
Rideshare car accident claims have different qualifications for determining liability, as Lyft drivers are considered independent contractors rather than employees of the company. Generally speaking, if a Lyft driver was behaving recklessly while operating their vehicle for personal use, they would likely be held liable like in a typical car accident claim.
If the Lyft driver was operating negligently as a rideshare driver logged into the app, the damages they cause would potentially be covered under Lyft’s insurance policy. Lyft itself could be found liable in cases where the company’s hiring practices or response to driver misconduct is deemed negligent. Many of the Lyft sexual sexual claims are based on the last condition.
Can you drive for Lyft with a bad driving record?
Rideshare companies have policies in place to identify and reject dangerous drivers during the hiring practice because they know that they can potentially be held liable for their drivers’ negligent actions. However, these standards are not always adequate or successful in keeping drivers with previous citations or convictions on their records from working for Lyft.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support
- Tim Cellino handled my case beautifully. He is very knowledgeable and patient with all my questions. He kept in touch with me through out my ordeal. Tim also got a settlement for more than I expected. I highly recommend Tim Cellino!
- We'd like to thank you for all the assistance and time you spent on our case. Your professionalism and honesty will always be appreciated. The staff was always courteous and we were always impressed with your accountability. Your passion and dedication will never be forgotten, nor will you.