A quick jog, playdate with friends, or afternoon stroll can quickly turn into a trip to the doctor after a slip and fall accident at a New York park or playground. Depending on the severity, slip and falls in parks and playgrounds can mean steep medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other costs.
Too often, injury could have been avoided if the space or equipment had been properly maintained. The slip and fall accident lawyers of Cellino Law can provide the legal insight needed to successfully navigate the personal injury claims process and recover compensation.
If you or your child was injured in a slip and fall accident at a park or playground due to another party’s negligence, you have a limited window to pursue compensation. Give our team a call at (800) 555-5555 or reach out through our online form to schedule a free consultation today.
Risks Associated with Slip and Falls in Parks and Playgrounds in New York
Locations like parks and playgrounds are prone to slip and fall accidents. This can often be attributed to the variety of terrain and the likelihood of distraction. For example, it is common for parks to have sidewalks or grassy areas surrounded by abrasive materials like mulch or gravel.
The transition between different textures can increase the likelihood of someone losing their footing. This risk is also elevated because people at parks or playgrounds are often distracted by watching and playing with their kids, checking their phones, or moving out of the way.
Although there may be a greater risk of a slip and fall accident injury at a New York park or playground, that does not automatically mean that you have the grounds to file a personal injury lawsuit to cover damages like medical bills, lost wages, and emotional distress.
When You Can File a Park or Playground Slip and Fall Accident Lawsuit
Slip and falls in parks and playgrounds become a legal issue when one party fails to fulfill their obligation to act with reasonable care towards another party. It is usually the local or state agency responsible for the park, the school where the playground is located, or a government contractor who is liable.
In the context of slip and falls in parks and playgrounds, a failure to fulfill a duty of care usually means the negligent party did not carefully maintain and install equipment, oversee visitors, or reduce hazards at the location. Common examples of negligence that lead to slip and fall accidents are:
- Lack of supervision on a school playground
- Damaged equipment, like steps that cause a loss of balance
- Construction materials left in walkways
- Inadequate drainage that leads to flooded or icy paths
- Insufficient lighting that conceals hazards
In order to recover compensation in a New York personal injury lawsuit, your injury must be the result of the slip and fall accident caused by another party’s negligence. You must also show evidence that the damages you want compensation for resulted from the slip and fall injury.
Injuries Caused by Slip and Falls in Parks and Playgrounds
Unfortunately, parks and playgrounds often have rough surfaces and hard edges that can inflict painful injuries in a slip and fall accident. For example, you may strike your head on the armrest of a bench, cut your legs on a gravel path, or break your wrist on a concrete step.
Injuries can be as minor as a scraped elbow or a bruised shin, but more severe injuries are also possible. Common New York slip and fall accident injuries include:
- Neck and back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Sprains and strained muscles
- Lacerations and contusions
- Soft tissue injuries
You should get your slip and fall accident injuries evaluated by a medical provider as soon as you can. It reduces the risk of undiagnosed issues worsening and complications like infection. Make sure to complete any follow-up instructions they give you for your health and to protect your claim.
If you try to pursue compensation for your damages in a slip and fall accident lawsuit, the liable party’s legal team will likely express skepticism at the legitimacy of your claim if you didn’t go see a provider for treatment or you delayed seeing a doctor.
This makes it look like you aren’t accurately describing your injuries or that you let them get worse on purpose. That gives the other side’s legal team justification to diminish or outright reject your claim. It’s better to promptly seek medical care and avoid this scenario.
Choose Cellino Law to Represent You In Your New York Slip and Fall Accident Claim
Bringing a slip and fall accident lawsuit against a negligent property owner is difficult enough, but there is an added layer of complexity when it comes to potentially filing a claim against a government entity. That demands a personal injury lawyer with a high level of experience.
Cellino Law can provide this in abundance, as we have tirelessly fought for the rights of injured New Yorkers for over 65 years. Our team is unrivaled when it comes to client satisfaction because we obtain the impressive results they expect and offer the support they deserve.
Contact Cellino Law About Your Slip and Fall Accident Lawsuit Today
At Cellino Law, our team will support you through every step of the settlement process for your slip and fall accident claim. For us, that looks like prioritizing your needs, meticulously documenting damages, effectively making a case for liability, and securing a fair settlement.
With the formidable negotiators of Cellino Law serving as your personal injury lawyers, you can rest assured that your park or playground slip and fall accident lawsuit is in capable hands. If your claim goes to trial, we won’t hesitate to continue to aggressively seek maximum compensation.
We encourage you to call us at (800) 555-5555 or reach out through our online form to schedule a free consultation today. One of our New York personal injury attorneys will assess the facts of your case, answer your questions, and explain the purpose and process of filing a slip and fall claim.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- My experience during the time of negotiations was extremely positive. Josh Sandberg handled my lawsuit with the utmost integrity. He returned all my phone calls in a timely manner and answered all my questions. Josh made things less stressful. I would highly recommend Josh and the entire staff at Cellino Law.
- Tim Cellino handled my case beautifully. He is very knowledgeable and patient with all my questions. He kept in touch with me through out my ordeal. Tim also got a settlement for more than I expected. I highly recommend Tim Cellino!
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.