A construction site is a place with lots of noise, people working on various things, tools, lots of noise, and risks of injuries. Working in such a place is dangerous and no matter how careful you are, things may not go as you hoped for.
Even if the construction site owner took all measures to keep the place safe, even if the workers are completely careful, injuries happen.
The most dangerous ones are head injuries. Tripping and falling because of tools or debris, falling several stories down, hitting on things, can lead to severe head and brain injuries.
And while at the moment it may seem like it’s not a big deal and you feel well, make sure that you get a medical examination.
Seek legal assistance from a New York personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
Symptoms of a Brain Injury
You may experience a blow to the head as a result of falling or being hit by falling materials or tools. This may result in a traumatic brain injury that includes various injuries such as open head wounds, brain bleeds, and concussions. Traumatic brain injury must be taken very seriously as it can be a reason for long-term disabilities, seizures, speech impairment, vision loss, and death.
If you suffered a hit in your head while working on a construction site, watch out for the following symptoms:
- Blurry vision
- Short-term memory loss
- Headaches or migraines
- Problems remembering important details such as names, location, dates
- Mood swings
- Drowsiness or troubles sleeping
- Hearing problems
- A lack of coordination
- Trouble speaking or forming sentences
If after the accident, you experience any, some, or all of these symptoms, make sure to see your doctor and report them, along with the details of the accident.
Types of Construction Accidents Тhat Cause Head Wounds
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has outlined strict regulations to reduce construction site injuries and deaths. Among these regulations is the obligation to wear a hard hat at certain construction sites. OSHA also requires other rules to protect workers. Depending on how heavy machinery should be operated to provide fall safety equipment, all employers and workers must follow OSHA standards.
Accidents happen every day in New York construction sites and the following may easily lead to traumatic brain injuries:
Falls – Usually happen from great heights. However, even shortfalls on hard concrete can cause devastating head and traumatic brain injuries.
Falling objects – Falling power tools, debris, building materials, and other equipment. Even if you wear a helmet, you can easily experience head injuries.
Trench collapse – Loose material and equipment can fall onto workers, and cause head and brain injuries, and it’s not uncommon for workers to get killed this way.
Demolitions – Tunnel collapses for instance can be dangerous when collapsing onto workers.
Vehicle crashes – Forklifts, bulldozers, and scraper accidents are far more dangerous than auto accidents.
Exposure to toxic chemicals – Breathing vapors, burns, or explosions of toxic chemicals can also be a reason for head and traumatic brain injuries.
What to Do If You Hit Your Head At a Construction Site
If you’re a construction worker who got a head injury while working on the site it’s important to seek medical help as soon as possible. If you aren’t conscious, your co-workers must seek paramedics to transport you safely to the hospital. If you’re capable of walking, be sure to have someone else drive you to the hospital. Do not sit behind the wheel no matter how well you feel (even if you have no visible head injuries).
Your supervisor should be informed about the accident. This way you will be sure that you will get a workers’ compensation claim. In case you’re an independent contractor, and your injuries resulted from someone else’s act of negligence, you might be able to file for a personal injury claim against the person who caused your injury (contractor, property owner) or a group (construction company, third party).
Be sure to get help from a personal injury attorney. These types of cases may get complex. If you’re an independent worker, your attorney will have to gather evidence that your accident happened because of someone else’s negligence (poor safety on-site, lack of safety nets or equipment).
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I am very pleased (and surprised) at the amount of the settlement. We will use the funds to help pay down the debt on the truck we had to purchase after ours was totaled. Thank you again.
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.