One of the most terrifying things is to get injured in a car accident; however, there is one even more serious thing and that is being involved in a car during pregnancy. There are too many things to worry about if you’re a pregnant woman. The crash may affect the unborn child, affect her general health and well-being.
In such cases, even an accident that may appear as a minor and insignificant may lead to severe outcomes such as the mother losing the baby, or having to deliver the child before the due date.
If you were involved in an accident while pregnant, you should get help from a skilled New York car accident attorney.
Pregnancy Concerns After an Accident for Women
Not every accident is fatal, but if a pregnant woman is involved in an accident, no matter how severe or minor it was, she may suffer various complications such as the following:
- Abdominal pain – It could be a sign of internal bleeding, fetal distress or other complications.
- Painful, difficult or irregular urination – It could be a sign of bladder injury or other internal injuries.
- Excess vaginal bleeding – Although bleeding is experienced by many women (periodic light spotting) if there is heavy or continued bleeding this could be evidence of trauma to the uterus or in extreme cases, it could be a sign of a miscarriage.
- Dizziness – Feeling dizzy after an accident may occur because changes in blood pressure can signal problems for the mother and the baby.
- Fainting or passing out – Fast changes in the mental status or drops in blood pressure is a very serious thing and should be treated immediately.
- Excess swelling – This can happen because of varicose veins. This may also be a sign of more serious health problems.
- Headaches – If you feel persistent and intense headaches you may suffer hormone imbalances, which may or may not be caused by the accident. If you suffered whiplash and muscle strain, it could make the headache even more severe. This can make pregnancy difficult and uncomfortable.
- Change in your baby’s movement – This is one of the most significant signs of a potential threat to the fetus; if there is a change in movement (if the baby typically kicks and moves a lot and suddenly stops after the accident) consider this as an emergency condition.
- Bruising to your stomach and chest – Pregnant women have large stomachs so seatbelts often do not position the same way as they did before the pregnancy. Abnormally severe bruising or serious trauma to your stomach and chest should not be neglected and you should instantly see a doctor.
Your car should have suitable equipment, including airbags. Many women fear that airbags may injure their babies, but if it’s used correctly while wearing a seatbelt, the airbag will keep you safe, instead of injuring you.
Steps You Should Take a Car Accident If Dealing With Pregnancy
First of all don’t take your accident lightly, even if it was a minor one. Make sure to go to the hospital, even if there are no visible injuries, and even if you feel entirely all right. The doctors will connect you to a fetal monitor to check your baby’s heart and the condition of other vital signs. The doctor may also ask for tests like X-rays, ultrasounds, blood and urine tests. Sure, this may take some time, but it’s a thing you simply must do for your and the baby’s health sake.
- Call your obstetrician right away – Let them know that you were involved in a crash and inform the doctor about the treatment for your injuries.
- Keep all of your records – Keep track of where you were treated for your injuries; these records will be necessary when you decide to file for a compensation claim.
- Stay calm and keep relaxed – Panicking and overreacting won’t bring you anything good. You must remain relaxed; avoid stressful situation after the accident. If you can, delay tasks and take a few days off to relax and rest.
You’ll Need an Attorney
Every person involved in an accident should consult with a car accident attorney. Women dealing with pregnancy are advised to have a skilled lawyer by their side so they don’t deal with further stressful moments that could affect their well-being and the health of their baby.
If you were involved in a crash and don’t know where to start, allow our team at Cellino Law to review your case and help you with the claim.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I am very pleased (and surprised) at the amount of the settlement. We will use the funds to help pay down the debt on the truck we had to purchase after ours was totaled. Thank you again.
Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.
It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.