One of the most terrifying things is to get injured in a car accident; however, there is one even more serious thing and that is being involved in a car during pregnancy. There are too many things to worry about if you’re a pregnant woman. The crash may affect the unborn child, affect her general health and well-being.
In such cases, even an accident that may appear as a minor and insignificant may lead to severe outcomes such as the mother losing the baby, or having to deliver the child before the due date.
If you were involved in an accident while pregnant, you should get help from a skilled New York car accident attorney.
Pregnancy Concerns After an Accident for Women
Not every accident is fatal, but if a pregnant woman is involved in an accident, no matter how severe or minor it was, she may suffer various complications such as the following:
- Abdominal pain – It could be a sign of internal bleeding, fetal distress or other complications.
- Painful, difficult or irregular urination – It could be a sign of bladder injury or other internal injuries.
- Excess vaginal bleeding – Although bleeding is experienced by many women (periodic light spotting) if there is heavy or continued bleeding this could be evidence of trauma to the uterus or in extreme cases, it could be a sign of a miscarriage.
- Dizziness – Feeling dizzy after an accident may occur because changes in blood pressure can signal problems for the mother and the baby.
- Fainting or passing out – Fast changes in the mental status or drops in blood pressure is a very serious thing and should be treated immediately.
- Excess swelling – This can happen because of varicose veins. This may also be a sign of more serious health problems.
- Headaches – If you feel persistent and intense headaches you may suffer hormone imbalances, which may or may not be caused by the accident. If you suffered whiplash and muscle strain, it could make the headache even more severe. This can make pregnancy difficult and uncomfortable.
- Change in your baby’s movement – This is one of the most significant signs of a potential threat to the fetus; if there is a change in movement (if the baby typically kicks and moves a lot and suddenly stops after the accident) consider this as an emergency condition.
- Bruising to your stomach and chest – Pregnant women have large stomachs so seatbelts often do not position the same way as they did before the pregnancy. Abnormally severe bruising or serious trauma to your stomach and chest should not be neglected and you should instantly see a doctor.
Your car should have suitable equipment, including airbags. Many women fear that airbags may injure their babies, but if it’s used correctly while wearing a seatbelt, the airbag will keep you safe, instead of injuring you.
Steps You Should Take a Car Accident If Dealing With Pregnancy
First of all don’t take your accident lightly, even if it was a minor one. Make sure to go to the hospital, even if there are no visible injuries, and even if you feel entirely all right. The doctors will connect you to a fetal monitor to check your baby’s heart and the condition of other vital signs. The doctor may also ask for tests like X-rays, ultrasounds, blood and urine tests. Sure, this may take some time, but it’s a thing you simply must do for your and the baby’s health sake.
- Call your obstetrician right away – Let them know that you were involved in a crash and inform the doctor about the treatment for your injuries.
- Keep all of your records – Keep track of where you were treated for your injuries; these records will be necessary when you decide to file for a compensation claim.
- Stay calm and keep relaxed – Panicking and overreacting won’t bring you anything good. You must remain relaxed; avoid stressful situation after the accident. If you can, delay tasks and take a few days off to relax and rest.
You’ll Need an Attorney
Every person involved in an accident should consult with a car accident attorney. Women dealing with pregnancy are advised to have a skilled lawyer by their side so they don’t deal with further stressful moments that could affect their well-being and the health of their baby.
If you were involved in a crash and don’t know where to start, allow our team at Cellino Law to review your case and help you with the claim.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!
Now that reality has set in, I want to thank you for all your work and assistance in obtaining my settlement for the pelvic mesh. This money will make my life so much easier in the future. Medicare just isn't sufficient. I know that I will have enough to live on. I truly appreciate of your efforts. Thank you!
Tim Cellino handled my case beautifully. He is very knowledgeable and patient with all my questions. He kept in touch with me through out my ordeal. Tim also got a settlement for more than I expected. I highly recommend Tim Cellino!
I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.