- Mechanical failures contribute to a significant number of New York truck accidents, with brake issues being the most common.
- Truck accidents can result from mechanical failures like defective brakes, weak windshield wipers, burnt-out headlights, and tire blowouts.
- When a mechanical failure causes a New York truck accident, liability usually rests with the truck owner for inadequate maintenance or the manufacturer for defective parts.
- Truck accident plaintiffs must meet the serious injury threshold stipulated by New York to seek compensation for their damages in a personal injury claim.
Commercial truck accidents are often attributable to reckless drivers, but the reality is more nuanced. Truck accidents caused by mechanical failure can also be responsible for inflicting life-threatening injuries on other road users. The financial and emotional fallout of a New York truck accident can be considerable, so many injured truck accident survivors pursue compensation.
To schedule a free consultation with a reputable New York truck accident attorney, reach out to our team at (888) 888-8888 or complete our online contact form. At Cellino Law, we can offer expert insight into the personal injury claims process, estimate your truck accident claim’s value, and give a preliminary liability assessment.
How Frequently Do Mechanical Failures Lead to Truck Accidents
In 2021, there were about 16,467 large truck accidents in New York. According to the Institute for Traffic Safety Management & Research (ITSMR), 88 of those truck accidents resulted in at least one fatality. Some of those truck accidents were likely preventable had the vehicle been properly maintained and mechanical failure averted.
The Large Truck Crash Causation Study conducted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) offers some insight into the role of mechanical failure in collisions involving a truck weighing over 10,000 pounds. Researchers selected a representative sample of truck accidents that occurred over a two-year period and identified critical reasons for crashes.
The study cites mechanical failure as the reason for 10% of the truck accidents in the study. It was three times more common than environmental causes, such as a pothole in the road or inclement weather. About a third of the truck accidents in the study involved a problem with the vehicle, even if that was not the direct cause of the crash.
Examples of Truck Accidents Caused by Mechanical Failure
A semi-truck may experience a mechanical failure because a worn-out part has not been replaced or installed incorrectly. Mechanical failure can also occur when a defective truck part malfunctions.
Faulty Brakes May Be Responsible For Devastating Truck Accidents
A responsive braking system is essential for large trucks, which require more time to stop due to their size and weight. Unsurprisingly, brake issues are the most common mechanical failure associated with fatal truck accidents. Given that a fully loaded semi-truck can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, an uninhibited truck can easily inflict catastrophic injuries if it collides with another vehicle.
Missing or Ineffective Windshield Wipers Interfere With Visibility
Truck drivers are charged with keeping a colossal vehicle within lane lines, knowing that even a small deviation could side-swipe an adjacent car or run it off the road. To do so, they need to be able to clear debris or rain from their field of vision. Functioning windshield wipers are even more critical in climates like New York, where snow can obscure a truck driver’s view of traffic.
Trucks With Burnt Out Headlights Pose a Threat to Motorist Safety
Truck drivers are already at a disadvantage in terms of visibility because the size of their vehicles creates massive blindspots. Powerful headlights are one of the few defenses they have against low visibility conditions at night or in inclement weather. Operating with one headlight can result in a truck driver missing things like a pedestrian crossing the road or a car turning in front of them.
Truck Drivers May Lose Control Due to Tire Blowouts
Truck tires need to be regularly inspected for punctures, leaks, and worn down tread because this makes them more susceptible to a sudden blowout. When a truck tire suddenly rips open, it can impair a driver’s ability to steer or brake. It may also cause the cargo load to shift, disrupting the truck’s balance and sending it skidding into other vehicles.
Who is Liable For New York Truck Accidents Caused by Mechanical Failure
As any qualified truck accident attorney will tell you, determining liability in a collision involving a commercial truck requires an in-depth investigation into the root causes of the crash. To begin with, it is not always the truck driver’s fault, which means you need to consider the possibility of third-party liability. It is also possible that more than one issue contributed to the truck accident.
For example, a collision may occur because the driver was speeding and the cargo loader did not secure the freight. Regarding truck accidents involving mechanical failure, there are a few possible sources of negligence. The truck owner can be liable if they fail to inspect, repair, and routinely maintain the truck, leading to the mechanical issue being overlooked.
Alternatively, a manufacturer could be at fault for a truck accident caused by mechanical failure. For a truck parts manufacturer to be negligent in a New York product liability claim, there must be an issue with the design, production, or distribution of the part in question that caused it to fail.
Our Team of Truck Accident Lawyers Are Exceptional Negotiators
At Cellino Law, our truck accident lawyers center our clients’ needs during the personal injury claims process. As our former clients will attest, our team is dedicated, reliable, and effective. These qualities have aided us time and again in negotiations, leading to impressive settlements for our injured clients. New Yorkers turn to Cellino Law when the stakes are high, and we deliver.
Contact Cellino Law About Your New York Truck Accident Lawsuit Today
In complex truck accident claims involving third-party liability, it can be easy to lose sight of your original motivation for seeking compensation as the process drags on. We want to reassure you that our team will be by your side every step of the way until you recover fair compensation for your medical bills, reduced earning capacity, and non-economic damages like emotional distress.
Our experienced truck accident attorneys will vocally support your rights, meticulously document the liable party’s negligence, involve expert witnesses to bolster your claim, and evaluate your damages. Reach out to our team at (888) 888-8888 or complete our online contact form to schedule a free consultation with one of our capable New York truck accident lawyers.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to hire a New York truck accident lawyer?
You can hire a truck accident lawyer to represent your case without making a down payment or providing a retainer. Instead, you indirectly compensate them for their services through a contingency fee. The truck accident attorney recovers the fee from the truck accident settlement they reach, so you are never responsible for any out-of-pocket expenses.
How do I know if my truck accident injuries meet New York’s serious injury threshold?
New York law requires that prospective plaintiffs meet the serious injury threshold in order to be eligible to seek compensation in a personal injury claim. In most cases, truck accident injuries will qualify. The serious injury threshold includes the following:
- Fatal injuries
- Fractured or broken bones
- Loss of a fetus
- A permanent loss of use or limitation of an organ, member, function, or system
- A temporary but substantial limitation of the use of a body function or system
- A temporary injury that interferes with the plaintiff’s ability to engage in their daily tasks for at least 90 days
What are the types of New York truck accidents?
Any impact from a commercial truck can cause extensive injuries, regardless of how the vehicles collided. The most common types of truck accidents include:
- Head-on collision
- Jackknife accident
- Lost load accident
- Override accident
- Underride accident
- Rollover collision
- Rear-end collision
- Side-swipe accident
- T-bone accidents
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I am very pleased (and surprised) at the amount of the settlement. We will use the funds to help pay down the debt on the truck we had to purchase after ours was totaled. Thank you again.
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.