- Personal injury accidents like car crashes or sports accidents can cause internal injuries that may be difficult to detect.
- Though you may not notice an internal injury at first, they can be very serious conditions that carry long-term consequences.
- Internal injuries can include organ damage, cracked ribs, or internal bleeding.
- Working with a personal injury lawyer can help you defend your rights and secure the compensation you deserve.
Personal injury accidents can cause serious injuries, like broken bones or blood loss. However, the hidden dangers of internal injuries are often overlooked. These injuries aren’t readily visible and are hard to detect, but are often very serious.
If you or a loved one has suffered an internal injury, and you believe someone else’s negligence is to blame, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. Getting thorough medical treatment right away is key for any case you may file later on.
Immediate Steps to Take After a Personal Injury Accident to Prevent Further Internal Damage
After any personal injury accident, you should seek immediate medical attention. Even if you feel fine, you may be experiencing internal bleeding or other types of internal injury that may not be obvious at first.
Identifying Internal Injuries
While some internal injuries manifest immediately, others might go unnoticed for hours or even days. Be vigilant and look out for these warning signs:
- Abdominal pain or tenderness
- Unusual bruising or swelling
- Internal bleeding (bloody stools, vomiting blood)
- Difficulty breathing
- Headache or dizziness
- Sudden weakness or fatigue
- Changes in vision or consciousness
Let your doctor know if you’re experiencing any of these symptoms after an accident. They may not be serious, but they also may be a sign of potentially deadly internal injuries.
Types of Internal Injuries Caused by Personal Injury Accidents
The term internal injury includes a broad range of damage that may occur from a personal injury accident.
- Blunt force trauma can be caused by sudden, forceful impacts like car accidents or falls. Organs like the liver or the kidneys may be bruised or otherwise damaged, and you may suffer internal bleeding or cracked ribs.
- Penetrating trauma is when a sharp object like a knife or glass penetrates the skin and causes internal damage. This can include punctured lungs or stomach and serious internal bleeding.
- Soft tissue damage is often overlooked, but personal injury accidents may cause trauma to the muscles or tendons, making it difficult to move or breathe properly.
Treatment Options and Recovery
Treatment options for internal injuries can vary depending on the type and severity of the injuries. Most internal injuries tend to be severe, and recovery can be painful and time-consuming.
Bed rest is often recommended to recover from internal injuries, as further movement can exacerbate the damage. Medication like painkillers and antibiotics may be prescribed to aid recovery.
In some cases, surgery is required to stop internal bleeding or repair damaged organs.
Rehabilitation exercises and physical therapy may be recommended to aid in recovery as well.
With the unique danger presented by internal injuries, it is especially important to work with doctors and follow whatever treatment plan is recommended. You can’t always tell what’s going on internally, and you don’t want to risk permanent damage if something goes wrong.
The Importance of Documenting Your Injuries and Treatment
If your internal injuries have been caused by someone else’s negligence, it’s important to keep thorough records of any injuries and their treatment. You may be able to recover compensation for the damages you suffer, and evidence like medical records will be key to presenting a strong case. Medical records can demonstrate the intensity of your injuries and their effect on your life and provide proof of how much it costs to treat them.
Any other evidence collected, like photos of the scene of the accident or eyewitness accounts, can also help present the best possible case. Be sure to save any documentation you can.
How an Experienced New York Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
If you sustained internal injuries as a result of someone else’s negligent actions, a New York personal injury lawyer can help you file a claim and receive compensation for your damages.
Navigating the complexities of the legal system can be very difficult without expert knowledge. An experienced attorney can help you with this process by:
- Investigating the incident and collecting evidence
- Negotiating with insurance companies to secure a fair settlement
- Filing a lawsuit and representing you in court if necessary
The team at Cellino Law understands the physical, mental, and financial toll that internal injuries can take, and we’re ready to defend your rights. To learn more about how we can help or to schedule a free case evaluation, please contact us online or at (800) 320-HELP.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the long-term effects of internal injuries?
The long-term effects of internal injuries depend on the type and severity of the injury. Some people might suffer from chronic pain, organ dysfunction, or other forms of disability.
Early diagnosis and proper treatment are key to mitigating these long-term effects. You should seek medical attention right away after any accident that could cause internal injury.
Can I receive compensation for an internal injury?
If your internal injuries were received as a result of someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for damages such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- And more
The available compensation is different from case to case, so get in touch with an experienced New York personal injury lawyer for an evaluation of your unique circumstances.
Do I need to seek immediate medical attention after a personal injury accident?
You should always seek medical attention right away after a personal injury accident, even if you feel fine. You may have injuries that you’re not aware of, and prompt treatment is essential for a speedy recovery and minimal long-term damage.
The evidence provided in medical records will also be crucial if you decide to file a personal injury claim to recover compensation for your damages.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.
- We'd like to thank you for all the assistance and time you spent on our case. Your professionalism and honesty will always be appreciated. The staff was always courteous and we were always impressed with your accountability. Your passion and dedication will never be forgotten, nor will you.
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.