Road trips are a great way to explore new places, connect with your family, and take a break from everyday responsibilities. To travel safely with children, an extra layer of precaution should be taken to ensure that everyone arrives at the destination and returns home safely.
Otherwise, you could be putting yourself and your family at a greater risk of being injured or killed in a car accident. The financial costs of a car accident, like medical bills, car repairs, and lost wages, can drive families into debt, and the physical costs can entail permanent impairments as well as loss of quality of life.
At Cellino Law, our New York car accident attorneys represent families who have been injured in collisions caused by someone else’s negligence in order to obtain the compensation they deserve for their damages. To schedule a free case evaluation, call us at (800) 555-5555 or reach out through our online form. We provide high-quality service and outstanding results.
Model Safe Driving Behavior for Your Kids and Teens
It’s often said that kids learn the most when they aren’t being taught. A great way to take advantage of this is to exhibit good driving habits early on. That way, younger kids learn that safe driving is always the expectation. When you start teaching your teen to drive, they can’t claim you’re enforcing double-standard on them if they haven’t observed you engaging in dangerous driving behaviors like texting while driving.
That being said, road trips can be lengthy and exhausting. You may grow impatient with traffic and want to speed, tailgate, or briefly use your phone to find a faster route. It can also be easy to succumb to the distraction of adjusting your music, observing a roadside car accident, or chatting with your family. If you’ve been driving for some distance or you’re driving at night, you might even begin nodding off.
Though commonplace, aggressive, distracted, and drowsy driving significantly increases the risk of a fatal car accident. Instead, take breaks and switch drivers regularly to avoid fatigue.
Keep snacks and toys easily accessible to entertain the kids during longer stretches. Although easier said than done, remember that speeding and other aggressive driving maneuvers rarely get you to your destination significantly sooner, especially if they result in a car accident.
Take Advantage of Your Car’s Safety Features
Traveling can be stressful, especially when you’re responsible for kids, and it can be easy to get distracted or rushed. Modern technology advances have provided drivers with a number of tools to better protect themselves and their passengers both when the car is in motion and when it is stopped. Parents who are on the road with their children or teens can benefit from these detection and warning systems.
This includes everything from sensors that remind you to check the backseat before leaving the car to exit warning systems that alert car occupants to passing motorists and pedestrians so your child doesn’t open a door into traffic. When the car is moving, a lane change assist system can notify you that a car is in your blind spot, and an automatic braking system can prevent you from rear-ending another vehicle.
While you should certainly utilize your car’s safety features to your family’s benefit, keep in mind that they are not foolproof. For example, don’t neglect to check your blind spots with your mirrors instead of relying exclusively on your backup camera, and visually confirm that everyone is buckled in as opposed to waiting on the alarm to go off. Also, standard safety features like child safety locks and seat belts can often be just as important in preventing injury.
Keep Kids in the Backseat and Use Appropriate Car Seats
The back seat is the safest place for children under 13 to ride, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. Minors who do not meet the height and weight guidelines for sitting in the front seat of a car should remain in the back seat, or else they can sustain serious injuries from airbags in the event of a car accident.
In New York, children under 8 must always ride in a child restraint system, such as a car seat or a booster seat. Kids under 4 are required to ride in a child safety seat, and children under 2 must ride in car seats facing the rear of the car. Parents should also take into account their child’s height and weight when considering what level of restraint is appropriate.
Always double-check that your child has the correct restraint system before traveling. If you’re unsure how to properly install a car seat or a booster seat, most local fire departments are capable of doing so free of charge. Parents should also be aware that car seats expire, typically 6 years after being manufactured, to account for wear and tear as well as changing safety standards.
Choose Cellino Law to Negotiate Your New York Car Accident Claim
With over 65 years of experience to our credit, the Cellino family has demonstrated our commitment to injured New Yorkers again and again. We are proud to be one of the leading personal injury law firms in the state, and we work continuously to maintain that reputation. Client satisfaction is and always has been our priority.
Our team of personal injury lawyers has secured millions of dollars for injured clients. We have the legal knowledge, access to resources, and reputation to be a formidable force at any negotiating table. You can trust our team of car accident lawyers to act in your best interest to maximize your compensation.
Contact Cellino Law for Help With a New York Car Accident Lawsuit
As personal injury attorneys, we have seen how a car accident can destroy a family’s finances and wreak havoc on their lives. At Cellino Law, we will diligently work to establish liability and provide evidence to support the value of your damages as we seek to hold the negligent party accountable for their actions.
If the insurance company is unwilling to offer a fair settlement, our team will not hesitate to take your auto accident claim to trial and unapologetically represent your interests. The car accident lawyers of Cellino Law are ready to help you secure the settlement you deserve for your New York personal injury claim.
In a free consultation with one of our accomplished car accident lawyers, our team will clearly explain the personal injury claims process, thoughtfully answer your questions, and briefly evaluate your damages to determine the potential value of your claim.To schedule a free case evaluation, call us at (800) 555-5555 or reach out through our online form.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I am very pleased (and surprised) at the amount of the settlement. We will use the funds to help pay down the debt on the truck we had to purchase after ours was totaled. Thank you again.
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!