Electric cars are becoming increasingly popular as a more environmentally friendly alternative to gas-powered vehicles. While there are undeniable benefits to electric cars, New York drivers should contemplate the possible trade-offs before making the switch to electric.
With more electric vehicles on the road every day, motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians should be aware of the safety implications of sharing the road with an electric car. If a collision occurs, they can be burdened with medical expenses, lost income, and suffer pain from a serious injury.
As car accident attorneys, we regularly litigate personal injury claims and negotiate for fair compensation for auto accident victims. We encourage you to schedule a free consultation with our team at Cellino Law by calling us at (800) 555-5555 or contacting us via our online form today.
Electric Cars Are Held to the Same Safety Standards as Gas Powered Cars, But Their Batteries Present a Fire Hazard
New York drivers should be reassured that electric cars are run through the same litany of tests that gas-powered cars are subject to, as well as a set of tests specific to EVs. They must also meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards before being approved, just like gas-powered cars.
That being said, electric cars are run on a large lithium-ion battery, which is a potential fire risk. To compensate for this, electric vehicles are equipped with safety features that turn off the car’s electrical system in the event of a crash or a short circuit to limit the risk of a fire.
Electric vehicle battery fires can be dangerous because they can spontaneously reignite, take longer to put out, and can lead to explosions. Firefighters are trained to be able to handle these types of fires, so the threat will lessen over time. EV ownership has only taken off in New York starting in 2021.
Rapid Acceleration Feature in Electric Cars Can Lead to Collisions in New York
Electric cars are capable of accelerating to maximum speed almost instantaneously. Drivers who are used to operating gas-powered vehicles may inadvertently injure themselves or others if they attempt to accelerate in an electric vehicle without accounting for the quick response.
This could easily lead to a rear-end car accident, particularly if the driver of the electric vehicle were already following too closely. An electric vehicle’s ability to accelerate rapidly can also result in serious pedestrian or bicycle accidents if the driver doesn’t allow them enough time to cross the street.
Electric Cars May be More Stable Than Gas Powered Vehicles
The design of most electric cars places their center of gravity closer to the ground than the majority of gas-powered cars. With more weight concentrated towards the bottom of the vehicle, there is a reduced risk of rollover accidents, which are notorious for inflicting catastrophic injuries.
The implications of a lower center of gravity potentially include better handling, especially while turning or navigating curves in the road. This kind of stability is particularly beneficial at higher speeds, where it is easier for a vehicle to be tipped over by a forceful impact or banked road.
Heavier Electric Cars Can Cause More Damage to Lighter Vehicles
When electric cars were first introduced to the market, most were comparable to the average gas-powered passenger vehicle in terms of weight. The early electric vehicles themselves tended to be compact, and the battery made up the rest of the difference. This is no longer the case.
Larger models of electric vehicles are now available, such as crossovers and SUVs. The extra weight of the electric battery, in combination with a bigger frame, has rendered many electric vehicles significantly heavier, sometimes by thousands of pounds, versus the average 4,000-pound passenger vehicle.
In a collision, this discrepancy works against drivers of lighter cars, as well as pedestrians and cyclists. Much like in a truck accident, the heavier vehicle can run the smaller car off the road, crush it, or cause it to lose control. One study indicated that a 1,000-pound difference made fatality 47% more likely.
Choose Cellino Law to Represent You in Your Electric Car Accident Claim
If you have decided to pursue a personal injury lawsuit after an electric car accident, Cellino Law is the team you want advocating for your claim. We are known as relentless negotiators with an in-depth knowledge of legal procedure, substantial resources, and years of experience.
In fact, the Cellino family has represented injured New Yorkers for more than 65 years. During that time, we have intentionally cultivated a dynamic with our clients based on trust. This has allowed us to be effective representatives for their needs as we seek maximum compensation.
We believe that clients should come first. For us, that means communicating proactively, taking the time to explain the implications of strategic negotiating decisions, and listening to your priorities. This approach has served us well over the years, as evidenced by our record of results.
Contact Cellino Law About Your New York Electric Car Accident Lawsuit Today
With 168,866 electric vehicles registered in New York as of 2023, the safety debate over these types of cars will only become more salient. The car accident lawyers of Cellino Law have been closely observing the role electric cars have played in New York auto accidents.
Our award-winning team is ready to offer you the legal support that you need to recover compensation for your damages after a collision involving an electric vehicle. We understand that the personal injury claims process can be confusing, but we will guide you at every step.
As your New York auto accident lawyers, we will not hesitate to take your claim to trial if we believe it is necessary to secure a fair settlement. To schedule a free consultation, give us a call at (800) 555-5555 or reach out through our online form today. We are prepared to help maximize your compensation.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.
- Tim Cellino handled my case beautifully. He is very knowledgeable and patient with all my questions. He kept in touch with me through out my ordeal. Tim also got a settlement for more than I expected. I highly recommend Tim Cellino!
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!