If you or a loved one has sustained a serious head injury after being in an accident, then you will need to have someone by your side fighting for your best interest. A personal injury lawyer will be there to help you get the maximum compensation possible. The Melville traumatic brain injury lawyers at Cellino Law have recovered millions for injury victims across the state of New York. Hiring an experienced lawyer is a good idea because they can help with your recovery and moving on from the injury. Talk to a Brooklyn traumatic brain injury lawyer today and you are going to get a free case evaluation.
A traumatic brain injury can end up having a very big impact on someone’s life. Some people end up never working again. There might be drastic changes in your personality and physical abilities. This can force you to seek unique and special treatments, long-term care, and other types of resources you are going to need when recovering from your injury. If you or a loved require brain surgery, then there are challenges you are going to face.
You should let us handle the case and represent you. Our Melville injury law firm is ready to get started with your case. If the accident was a result of negligence and has led to a traumatic brain injury, then it is important for you to get compensated so you will be able to cover your current and future needs. Our professionals know the challenges that come after a brain or head injury, especially the effect it will have on your loved ones. This is why we go the extra mile to make sure justice is served and you get the compensation you deserve.
What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
TBI is damage to the brain as a result of an injury. TBIs usually happen when there is a collision of the skull and brain. This type of injury causes about 275,000 hospital stays and the death of 52,000 people every year. There are different activities that can cause accidents that lead to brain injury. Some of them include car accidents, violent acts, and playing sports. The brain isn’t tightly contained and it has a lot of space around it. This is why a person involved in an accident, the neck snaps back and the brain can move into the skull, which results in brain injury.
When the brain shakes inside the skull, it can start bleeding and bruising, and the tissues of the brain can tear. Traumatic brain injury is serious, but it can be a little harder to notice because it is not a visible injury. Concussions are easier to notice, but there are some that are harder – Anoxic Brain Injury, Diffuse Axonal Injury, and Hypoxic Brain Injury. Brain injuries, no matter the type, are complicated to deal with and there is no guarantee that you will recover.
What Causes TBIs?
Most cases of brain injuries are a result of trauma to the head, especially when an object strikes the head with some force. Below are some of the common causes:
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Car accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Construction Accidents
There are cases where people with traumatic brain injury lose their lives. According to the CDC, the leading cause of death from traumatic brain injuries from 2006-2010 was falls and car accidents. Death as a result of brain injuries in people age 5-24 was mainly caused by car accidents while in people 65 years and above it was a result of falling.
If you or your loved one is suffering from a serious injury or death that was caused by an accident, then you should talk to a traumatic brain injury attorney in Melville, NY. Give us a call on (800)-555-5555 so you can get started with a free consultation.
How are Brain Injuries Diagnosed?
Healthcare experts carry out the test. It will involve assessing the physical condition of the person, brain functioning, level of consciousness, and nerve function to determine whether there is a brain injury.
Below are some of the most common tests that can be used in diagnosing brain injuries:
If the medical experts suspect a TBI, they can request an image of the person’s brain using an MRI scan, PET scan, or CT-scan. This gives them a clear visualization of the brain injury, which is used when determining the best treatment option.
- A CT-scan generates a 360-degree cross-section image of the brain using X-rays. This scan is going to show any bleeding, bruising, and any other brain damage.
- MRI forms brain images using strong radio waves and magnetic fields. An MRI scan gives a more detailed image compared to a CT-scan.
- A PET scan will involve using a radioactive substance to identify any brain disease or brain damage. A PET scan allows the doctor to know more about the functioning of the brain.
The Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS)
The test will look at the ability of an individual to speak, open their eyes, and move. The doctor categorizes and rates the response, and later adds them all up and comes up with a score that is going to show how severe the brain injury was. When an individual has a score of 13 or more, it means they have mild brain injury, with 9-12 being moderate brain injury, and 8 or less a sign of severe brain damage.
There are different specialists who might be involved if a person is suspected to suffer from brain injury. The experts carry out the test to determine the individual’s motor, communication, and cognitive skills:
- Speech-language pathologist
- Occupational therapist
- Physical therapist
The medical workers are going to identify and evaluate impairments before recommending the right treatment option. This can also include managing the effects of brain injury and treating them so they can get close to the normal functioning of their brain.
Some traumatic brain injuries will require a little more involved care compared to others. Patients who are diagnosed and treated are able to get the care they need. If you or a loved one is suffering from brain injury, or you have lost a loved one, then talking to a brain injury attorney is a must. Cellino law in Brooklyn has experienced brain injury attorneys who offer a free consultation.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Brain injury can happen in various parts of the brain, and it is going to depend on how the trauma occurred. There are brain injuries that are going to go away after a short time and all that will be needed is rest and limited treatment. Some injuries are permanent and intensive treatment is needed. The treatment can also take a long time.
Some common types include;
This is a type of TBI where the head receives outside force but the skull does not break. They are classified into mild, moderate, and severe (the concussion)
This is a type of TBI where an object has penetrated the skull and compromise the outer meningeal layer of dura mater (the brain membrane)
Diffuse Axonal Injury
This type of TBI happens when the connecting fibers of the brain or axons tear and twist, and this happens when the brain shits in the skull.
This is when there is a bruising pattern in the tissues of the brain at the side of the impact and also the opposite side.
The disruption or fragments of the skull can result in the damage or infection of the brain.
When blood vessels inside the skull rupture, the blood goes into the empty spaces in the brain.
If you or your loved one has brain injuries resulting from an accident, talk to traumatic brain injury attorneys from Cellino Law in Brooklyn New York. Call (800) 555-5555 to schedule a free consultation with our attorneys .
Signs and Symptoms of TBI
No matter what accident caused the brain injury, it is going to have a very big impact on the life of the individual. It can take months or even years for the symptoms to go away. Individuals with traumatic brain injuries are forced to adjust to a new way of life because their capabilities are affected, from their ability to work to their ability to relate well with others.
Our attorneys have a good understanding of traumatic brain injuries and how devastating they are. We focus on helping victims of brain trauma by providing our legal representation. You may be eligible for compensation if you have a traumatic brain injury as a result of an accident. Contact us today to learn more.
Brain damage is very complicated, and this is why different people have different signs of damage. Losing consciousness is not proof enough that someone is suffering from brain damage. There are some symptoms that will come up fast, while there are those that take long before being noticed. Below are some of the signs:
- Dizziness, nausea, and tremors
- Difficulties with hand-eye coordination, impaired spatial orientation
- Difficulty recognizing faces and visually locating objects
- Impaired gross coordination and fine coordination
- Slurred speech or losing the ability to speak
- Unusually aggressive behavior
- Poor control of voluntary movements
- Mood changes: irritability, anxiety, and feeling sad
- Change in sexual drive and function
- Vision changes or hallucinations
- Chronic headaches (low-grade)
- Difficulty reading and/or writing
There are other signs of brain injuries. If you or your loved experiences have a problem with sleep, memory, motor skills, or change in behavior after being involved in an accident, then it is important to seek medical attention immediately then contact us so we can handle the legal issues.
How Can a Brain Injury Impact Your Life?
Brain injuries tend to vary from one person to another. In any case, the individual is going to have to learn how to manage and cope with any changes that come as a result of the injury. It can cause permanent physical and mental impairments.
A traumatic brain injury can result in short-term or long-term effects, and they can affect;
- Communication skills, including understanding speech or expressions
- Coordination and motor skills, like balance, posture, and grasping and holding objects.
- Cognitive processes, including concentration, reasoning, and memory skills
- Mental behavior such as changes in personality, acting out, anxiety, and depression
- Sensory processing and this includes touch, sight, smell, hearing, or taste
Traumatic brain injuries cause a lot of financial strain on the individual and their loved ones. The medical care needed when treating TBI is intense. Specialized treatment is needed to treat and manage these injuries, and this tends to be very expensive. When a person has a brain injury, they might have a hard time moving around and communicating. This means they lose their ability to work and advance in their career. They also have a hard time performing routine tasks. This might make it impossible for you to do the activities you used to do before the accident.
How can a Traumatic Brain Injury Case be Proven?
There is a lot of work that needs to be done when proving a traumatic brain injury, including the expertise of medical professionals. Other specialists are going to be involved in the process too. Some people realize they have a brain injury when it is too late. This is why you need to go to a doctor after being involved in an accident.
We work with experts in brain injury and accidents. Their experience is going to come in handy when building your claim. They will determine the value of your injuries, and will also look at the projected expenses for treatment in the future. Lost income will also be calculated.
Why Should I Hire a Lawyer for a Traumatic Brain Injury Claim?
Cellino Law has some of the most experienced lawyers. When hiring lawyers, we use a thorough selection process, and the lawyers who join us are those who have succeeded in winning many cases. We have a lot of experience handling cases out of the court, which saves time and money. We have succeeded in prosecuting different types of personal injury cases. Our experience and tough negotiation approach will ensure you get the maximum possible compensation for your injuries.
We work with you to look at all the options you have, then tell you what you can expect from working with us. We tell our clients the chance of succeeding whether the case goes to court or is settled out of court. We have succeeded in winning claims of over $4million for our clients who have suffered from car and motorcycle accidents. There is no need to go through the process alone. The process is much easier when you have a lawyer by your side.
How Much an I Get as Compensation for My Brain Injury?
Brain injury victims can expect to get substantial compensation because of incapacitation that comes with such injuries. Victims need enough support because the medical bills are very expensive and can last a lifetime. The amount you are going to get as compensation for your injuries is going to be determined by the specific details of the case, and the impact it has had on your life. You never know, it might be worth thousands or millions. You can get compensation for:
- Medical costs including long-term expenses
- Replacement services
- Loss of earning capabilities
- Lost wages
- Punitive damages
- Pain and suffering
Want to know how much your case could be worth? Contact personal injury lawyers from Cellino law so you can schedule a free consultation.
Give Cellino Law a Call to Talk With a Melville Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
Whether suffering from a TBI from a car accident or slip and fall, or any other type of accident, it is important to always keep in mind that the insurance company is not there to take care of your interests. No matter the injury you have, the insurance will be looking for a way to pay the least amount possible. The insurance company is a business like any other, and they always want to maximize their profits.
The insurance company might claim that you had a pre-existing condition or the brain injury is not that severe. They can also try to challenge the impact of the traumatic brain injury to your life so that you will accept a lesser compensation offer. You should not let the insurance company deny you the compensation you deserve. Our team of personal injury lawyers in Melville knows the importance of compensation, and this is why we go the extra mile to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- Now that reality has set in, I want to thank you for all your work and assistance in obtaining my settlement for the pelvic mesh. This money will make my life so much easier in the future. Medicare just isn't sufficient. I know that I will have enough to live on. I truly appreciate of your efforts. Thank you!
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.