Streets in Manhattan are often clogged with bumper-to-bumper traffic, cyclists, and pedestrians. This congestion can lead to frustration, impatience, and distractions, which can cause collisions that injure people.
Car accident insurance claims can quickly become complicated and difficult to handle if you don’t have the necessary experience and knowledge. While you can process your claim independently, many people hire a competent car accident lawyer. Cellino Law focuses on car accidents, so we know how to handle them successfully.
What If the Accident Isn’t Your Fault?
The number of people responsible for causing an accident can vary; sometimes, it’s one person’s fault, and other times multiple people are to blame. Each state has laws that govern who can seek compensation for their damages after a car accident, and these laws differ significantly.
Some states, including New York, require licensed drivers to obtain personal injury protection insurance, known as no-fault insurance. These policies should pay specific types of damages up to policy limits, regardless of who is at fault.
Both situations can complicate a car accident claim, even if you had no blame in causing the crash. An attorney who focuses on car accident cases can explain how these laws affect your case and assist you throughout the claims process. Ask your car accident lawyer about your state’s laws and your eligibility to seek compensation.
Are There Other Complications?
It would be nice if every car accident claim included the same factors and resolutions, but that’s not the case. Depending on the type and number of vehicles involved in a collision, you may face several complications in your insurance claim or civil lawsuit.
When privately owned automobiles crash, their drivers are typically the only responsible parties. If a commercial vehicle causes an accident, multiple parties can be at fault, including:
- The driver
- The employer
- The vehicle’s owner or leasing company
- Parts or vehicle manufacturers
- Companies that perform mechanical maintenance on the vehicle
- Cargo owners, shippers, and loaders
You’ll need to perform an in-depth investigation to determine who and what caused your accident, but do you have the know-how and resources? Cellino Law does.
Vehicles owned or operated by any government agency can cause accidents. So can malfunctioning traffic signals and poorly maintained streets. If any form of government involvement contributed to causing your car accident, your claim would be more complex than most.
Any claim against a government agency is subject to strict procedures and guidelines and a shorter deadline for filing. If you don’t follow them properly, you will likely lose your right to seek compensation. When you hire Cellino Law, we’ll handle your case appropriately to protect your rights.
With rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft providing transportation and delivery services, these vehicles cause a fair share of car accidents. Laws require these companies to provide car insurance, but these policies only apply under certain circumstances. The policy limits also vary depending on the driver’s status at the time of the collision.
When rideshare drivers aren’t on duty, their insurance policies are responsible for compensating victims if they cause a crash. However, many insurance companies require these drivers to have specific coverage. The company may deny any claims if they don’t obtain that coverage.
Underinsured or Uninsured Motorists
Laws require every licensed driver to carry car insurance. Each state specifies minimum amounts of coverage their residents should maintain. Unfortunately, some drivers don’t follow these laws and have minimal or no insurance coverage. Claims against these drivers are challenging.
Statutes of Limitations
State laws set deadlines for filing claims after a car accident. In New York, these statutes of limitations are:
- Personal injury: three years
- Property damage: three years
- Wrongful death: two years
- Claims against a government agency: 90 days (to file a notice of claim)/ one year and 90 days (to file a lawsuit)
If you miss these deadlines, you probably won’t receive any compensation, even if other parties are entirely to blame for your accident. Your attorney from Cellino Law will take appropriate action before these deadlines. However, you shouldn’t wait too long to contact us, especially if the government was involved in your accident. It takes time to prepare a claim properly, so allow us enough time to do so.
You Are Partially at Fault
New York allows you to seek compensation for your damages even if you bear partial responsibility for causing your accident. However, your degree of fault determines the amount you’re eligible to receive. If you’re 10% at fault, the total damages will be reduced by 10%.
It’s in your best interests to ensure that fault is assigned appropriately. Your Cellino Law attorney won’t let an unfair amount of blame fall on you.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help?
Unfortunately, insurance companies don’t like to pay compensation. Without legal representation, these companies often use underhanded tactics to deny or minimize payments to injured accident victims. When you hire Cellino Law, we won’t let them get away with that kind of behavior.
We will also:
- Provide information and legal advice
- Prepare and submit paperwork related to your claim
- Use our extensive resources to investigate the cause of your accident
- Gather evidence to support your claim and to ensure you’re not blamed unfairly
- Speak to insurance company representatives on your behalf
- Negotiate aggressively with insurance companies to obtain maximum compensation for your damages
- Take your case to court if necessary
You deserve time to recover from your injuries without worrying about your car accident claim. When you hire an experienced car accident attorney from Cellino Law, you’ll have peace of mind.
What Kinds of Damages Are Available?
Each accident is different, and the damages you can recover may vary. Ask your lawyer how much your case is worth.
Car accidents often cause injuries and property damage; in turn, those things cause expenses and financial strain. Economic damages reimburse you for accident-related costs, including:
- Medical treatment
- Lost wages
- Specific daily expenses
- Property damage
Your lawyer will need copies of your bills and receipts. If your injuries are severe, require ongoing medical treatment, and impact your ability to work, you may also qualify for compensation for future expenses and diminished earning capacity.
Car accidents can sometimes cause less apparent injuries, but you still deserve compensation for things like:
- Pain and suffering
- Losing your ability to enjoy life
- Damage to personal or social relationships
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
The severity of how these things impact your life affects the amount of compensation you may receive.
Punitive damages don’t apply unless the guilty party exhibited malicious or exceptionally reckless behavior, or deliberately caused your accident.
Why Should You Choose Cellino Law?
Hiring competent legal representation is a smart move if you sustained injuries in a car accident that wasn’t your fault. You’ll want an attorney who focuses on car accident cases with a successful track record. Cellino Law has represented injured New Yorkers for more than 60 years, obtaining over $2 billion in settlements for our clients.
There are several Cellino Law office locations in New York, so one is conveniently located for you. If your injuries prevent travel, we’ll arrange to meet you. You won’t pay any fees until we win compensation on your behalf, beginning with your free case review. We’ll assess your case and tell you about your options. Contact us 24/7 by calling (800) 555-5555 or submitting our contact request form.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.