One of the most common causes of brain injuries in the U.S. is car accidents. Even when car occupants are properly restrained, the sheer force exerted in the crash may be enough to cause serious internal damage, with or without an impact. Brain injuries can range in severity from a mild concussion that resolves in a matter of days to a traumatic brain injury that irreparably impairs function or causes death.
In an instant, the actions of a negligent driver can completely upend your life. You may accumulate staggering medical bills while undergoing treatment, have to take time away from your career, and struggle emotionally.
The car accident attorneys of Cellino Law understand that the settlement you receive can have a profound impact on your family’s future and your peace of mind. We have decades of experience as personal injury attorneys, which makes us highly qualified to negotiate a settlement that meets your needs.
A concussion is a mild form of traumatic brain injury. That is not to say that it should not be taken seriously, as a severe concussion can lead to seizures, loss of consciousness, and permanent damage if left untreated. Concussions can be typically identified by signs of nausea, confusion, blurry vision, and headache.
Car accident victims can sustain a concussion from the rapid lurching of the vehicle on impact or from being thrown against a hard surface such as a window or the steering wheel.
Car accidents can also be responsible for brain contusions, which refer to an injury where an area of brain tissue is bruised. Signs of a brain contusion include issues with speech, focus, and mobility. The affected area of the brain is typically more confined as compared to a concussion. In the context of a car accident, a brain contusion could be caused by being struck by an object within the car or hitting a hard surface.
Diffuse Axonal Injury
A Diffuse Axonal Injury to the brain can be catastrophic, as it tears nerves inside the brain. If a car occupant sustains a Diffuse Axonal Injury, they will likely fall into a coma, and if they survive, they may have serious issues with their memory. DAIs are caused when the brain is suddenly and violently shaken or thrown forward, but the rest of the brain doesn’t immediately catch up, resulting in tearing.
Second Impact Syndrome
Car accident victims who sustain a concussion should be cognizant of the risk of Second Impact Syndrome if they have recently sustained a concussion prior to the car accident or sustain a concussion following the car accident injury. Second Impact Syndrome is almost always disabling, if not deadly, and the onset is rapid.
Essentially, the brain swells because it has not fully healed from the first concussion, which is also referred to as edema. This prevents the brain from controlling cerebral spinal fluid pressure. Even a small jerk in a car accident can potentially trigger SIS in a person who has had a recent concussion, so it is imperative that you seek prompt medical attention.
A skull fracture refers to breaking the bone of the skull. Not only is this often quite painful, but it can be dangerous if bone fragments dislodge and enter other parts of the brain or bloodstream. Mild cases may heal on their own, but fractures that occur at the base of the skull or are depressed may require prompt surgery to correct.
In car accidents, skull fractures can occur when a car occupant’s head is slammed against a hard surface like the dashboard or ejected from the car and thrown against the road or other structures.
Penetrating Brain Injury
As the name would suggest, a penetrating brain injury involves an object that has breached the skull. This is one of the most severe forms of traumatic brain injury. In addition to the extensive damage a penetrating brain injury can inflict, these types of open wounds are more likely to develop infections because they are exposed.
In a car accident, a penetrating brain injury can occur when an object, such as glass or debris from the crash, collides with a car occupant’s head.
A coup-contrecoup injury is common to rear-end car accidents, as this type of brain injury occurs when the brain is slammed against the front of the skull from the initial impact and then thrown back against the back of the skull. This results in a brain injury to two sides of the brain. The risk of misdiagnosis in these situations may be higher because one area may appear significantly more affected than the other, resulting in one side being overlooked.
Why You Should Choose Cellino Law to Represent You
When you have sustained a brain injury in a car accident, you need a reputable personal injury attorney to represent you, lest you risk walking away with a lesser settlement. At Cellino Law, we are proud of our results and equally as proud of the reputation we have among our clients for being straightforward, hard-working, and dedicated advocates.
Cellino Law clients know that they can trust our team to go the extra mile to ensure that their settlement reflects not just their past expenses but the future costs that they are likely to sustain. With our car accident attorneys by your side, you can feel confident that every effort will be made to maximize your compensation.
Call Cellino Law to File a Brain Injury Claim Today
Hiring a brain injury attorney can have numerous benefits for your claim. Beyond lending your case credibility, you can secure expert legal advice with a simple call to your attorney. At Cellino Law, we are accessible to our clients as we work to help them navigate the personal injury claims process.
Our team of personal injury attorneys has ample courtroom experience that sets us apart from other New York personal injury law firms. The capable, diligent car accident lawyers of Cellino Law can be depended on to use the resources at our disposal to maximize your compensation.
If you or a loved one has sustained a brain injury in a New York car accident, don’t delay seeking medical attention. Then, contact the auto accident attorneys of Cellino Law to help protect your right to seek compensation for your damages. You can contact us at (800) 555-5555 or through our online form to schedule a free case evaluation with our car accident attorneys.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.
- Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I am very pleased (and surprised) at the amount of the settlement. We will use the funds to help pay down the debt on the truck we had to purchase after ours was totaled. Thank you again.
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.