The costs associated with hiring a workers compensation lawyer in the aftermath of a workplace accident can vary significantly based on several factors, including how the accident occurred and the severity of your injuries. Your initial consultation allows you to ask questions about your case, assess the attorney’s qualifications and learn more about the legal options available. The first step is to understand the legal fees process.
Deciding a Workers Compensation Lawyer’s Fees in New York
In New York, the process for determining attorneys’ fees in workers’ compensation cases is distinct from most U.S. states. Unlike the common practice of attorneys receiving a percentage of settlements or awards, in New York, the lawyer must submit a fee request to the Workers’ Compensation Board after a case concludes with an award or settlement. For fee requests exceeding $1,000, a detailed written form outlining the time spent on various services is mandatory. Clients must review and sign this form. However, they can object, stating their reasons and notifying relevant parties, including the lawyer, employer’s insurance company and the WCB.
Subsequently, a workers’ comp judge examines the fee request. This review includes any client objections. The judge has the authority to approve, reduce or deny the fee request. They then deduct approved fees from the cash portion of the client’s settlement or award, excluding medical benefits. This process ensures transparency and fairness in allocating legal fees in workers’ compensation cases in New York.
Who Pays for Other Costs Associated With the Case?
Apart from attorney fees, there are other costs that clients might incur. These costs are generally the client’s responsibility and can vary depending on the specifics of the case. Key expenses often include:
- Obtaining medical records. Clients may need to pay for the collection of medical records, which serve as crucial evidence in workers’ comp claims.
- Expert witness fees. If the case requires the testimony of expert witnesses, such as medical professionals, their fees are an additional cost.
- Deposition costs. Taking depositions from witnesses incurs charges, including court reporter fees and related expenses.
- Filing fees. Certain legal documents may require filing fees, which are usually small but necessary expenses in the legal process.
- Travel expenses. If a case requires significant travel by the attorney or the client, they must account for these expenses, especially for long-distance cases.
Clients need to discuss these potential costs with their attorneys at the outset of the case. This ensures a clear understanding of the financial responsibilities beyond the lawyer’s fees. Keeping an open line of communication about expenses helps manage expectations and prepares clients for the financial aspect of their workers’ comp case.
How Much Does an Initial Consultation Cost?
The cost of an initial consultation with a workers compensation lawyer varies. Most lawyers offer free initial consultations, providing an opportunity to discuss the specifics of your case without financial commitment. However, some attorneys may charge a fee for this first meeting. The amount can differ based on the lawyer’s experience, location and the case’s complexity. It is important to inquire about the consultation fee when scheduling your appointment.
Determining the Reasonability of Fees
In New York, judges engage in a detailed and multifaceted evaluation process when determining the appropriateness of workers’ comp lawyers’ fees. This assessment involves several critical considerations:
- Assessing client’s financial capacity. Judges actively evaluate the client’s ability to afford the fees, ensuring fairness in the case’s economic burden.
- Evaluating case complexity. They consider the intricacies of each case, recognizing that more complex cases may warrant higher fees.
- Considering injury severity. Judges look at the severity of the client’s injuries and losses, understanding that more severe injuries often require more legal work.
- Reviewing legal effort and expertise. They scrutinize the time and skill level the lawyer invested in the case, ensuring the fees align with the expended effort.
- Comparing to local fee standards. Judges also compare the requested fees with the standard charges for similar services in the same area, ensuring consistency in legal costs.
Judges include the outcomes the attorney achieves in their consideration but do not base their decision solely on the settlement or award amount. If clients disagree with the fee determination, they can file an objection with the Workers’ Compensation Board within 30 days. This approach ensures a fair and balanced assessment of legal fees, taking into account both the lawyer’s efforts and the client’s financial situation.
The Role of a Workers’ Comp Attorney in Your Case
In New York, a workers’ comp attorney plays a pivotal role in managing workers’ compensation cases, with responsibilities that span various aspects of the legal process:
- Attorneys initially assess the case’s merits, determining its validity and potential obstacles.
- They gather necessary evidence, including medical records and witness statements, to construct a robust case.
- They handle the paperwork and procedures required to file a workers’ compensation claim effectively.
- They handle all communication and negotiations with insurance companies to secure fair compensation for the client.
- If the case proceeds to a hearing, they represent their clients, advocating for their rights and interests.
These professionals offer vital legal advice and guide their clients through the complex legal landscape of workers’ compensation, working diligently to secure the most favorable outcome. Their expertise is instrumental in navigating claims’ legal, procedural and negotiation aspects, ensuring clients receive the benefits they deserve.
How Do You Know if You Need a Workers Compensation Lawyer for Your Claim?
Determining whether you need a workers’ comp attorney for your claim hinges on several factors commonly varying case by case. If your workplace injury is minor and your employer acknowledges that it happened at work, you might manage without legal assistance. However, certain situations almost always require an attorney’s expertise:
- Severe injuries. If your injuries are serious, leading to surgery, long-term impairment or chronic conditions, an attorney can help maximize your benefits.
- Disputed claims. If your employer or their insurance company denies your claim or you receive inadequate benefits, a lawyer can help challenge these decisions.
- Pre Existing conditions. If you have a preexisting condition, the insurer might attribute your injury to that, not your workplace accident. A lawyer can help prove the injury is work-related.
- Permanent disability. For cases involving potential permanent disability benefits, legal expertise ensures you receive the correct amount.
- Return-to-work issues. If you are unable to return to your previous job or cannot work at all, an attorney can assist in negotiating fair compensation or retraining benefits.
An experienced workers’ comp attorney can navigate the complexities of these scenarios, ensuring the protection of your rights and allowing you to receive the full benefits you deserve. It is prudent to consult with an attorney for a better assessment of your situation and to understand how they can assist in securing your rightful compensation.
Contact an Experienced Workers Compensation Lawyer Today
Several factors can complicate a workplace injury case. At Cellino Law, we work on contingency and charge no upfront fees to discuss your case and help you understand the legal steps available to you. We know the devastating physical, emotional and financial consequences the victims and families can suffer in the aftermath of an accident. We commit to providing our clients with compassionate support and aggressive rights protection. Contact Cellino Law to schedule your free consultation with an experienced workers compensation lawyer today.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- My experience during the time of negotiations was extremely positive. Josh Sandberg handled my lawsuit with the utmost integrity. He returned all my phone calls in a timely manner and answered all my questions. Josh made things less stressful. I would highly recommend Josh and the entire staff at Cellino Law.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.