New York City’s Garment District draws thousands of tourists and visitors each year, making it a hub of activity for those who appreciate fashion and the unique shops the area has to offer. However, like many other areas in the city, the Garment District often experiences heavy traffic, and accidents occur there often. Here at Cellino Law, our lawyers stand ready to assist car crash victims and those who need a car wreck lawyer near the Garment District to answer questions about injuries, property damage and how to proceed after an accident.
What Is the Garment District?
The Garment District lies in the heart of Manhattan and plays a major role in the global fashion industry. From textile manufacturing to clothing design, the district is a hub of fashion-related stores, warehouses and showrooms. Many people visit the historic area to shop and view historic buildings and landmarks that honor the area.
Drivers in the district will probably encounter a large number of pedestrians who use public transportation to visit because non-commercial motorists cannot park in the district from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily, according to the City of New York’s website. The presence of pedestrians, along with busy Manhattan traffic, can make the area difficult to navigate. These conditions can lead to a car wreck in the Garment District, and those involved might not know how to proceed. Crash victims can protect themselves in several ways before contacting us for a car crash lawyer in Garment District office locations.
What Actions Can Manhattan Motorists Take After an Accident?
When accidents in the Garment District occur, motorists can protect themselves with a few simple actions once the vehicles and their occupants move to a safe area to take stock of the damages. While they wait for authorities and medical assistance to arrive, those involved can build a positive foundation for a future personal injury lawsuit by knowing what to do and say.
Avoid any admittance of guilt
Drivers involved in the accident can avoid future legal trouble by avoiding any admittance of guilt on their part. Injured parties might take even general apologies as an admission of guilt or blame, so they may want to stay as silent as possible until the authorities arrive.
Photographic evidence is a powerful tool in any court case, so drivers may want to take pictures of their injuries as they seek medical attention. They can also ask friends or family members to take photos of any damage to their vehicles as well. Photos of intersections, traffic signage and crosswalks may also provide proof of how a Garment District car accident happened.
Ask for an exchange of information
According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, drivers must report crashes that cause damages in excess of $1,000. Obvious severe damage to either vehicle or a crash that caused injuries that could lead to legal action in the future, so motorists may want to exchange information, including:
- Driver license numbers
- Insurance information
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses
An exchange of information can protect everyone involved in a Garment District car accident, but motorists may want to refrain from oversharing, such as admitting fatigue to the other driver or another piece of information that might incriminate them.
Visit a doctor
Car crash injuries may take hours or even days to present themselves, especially in cases of soft tissue trauma, such as whiplash. Shock may also reduce or mask symptoms of injuries. Visiting a doctor as soon as possible after a crash in the Garment District can help those injured document their injuries and provide medical reports to a car wreck lawyer near the Garment District.
Safeguard medical information
After a Manhattan car accident, the family and friends of injured loved ones may want to know all the facts about the wreck and what injuries occurred. However, discussing any information with loved ones could cause privacy leaks that affect an upcoming court case. Only injured drivers, their doctors and a medical proxy, if any, need to know.
Does Personal Injury Protection Cover All Damages and Injuries in New York State?
Because New York is a no-fault state, all residents must carry Personal Injury Protection to cover the cost of injuries to themselves and their passengers or injured pedestrians. This includes a variety of circumstances, including:
- The cost of medical treatment
- Lost wages
- Transport to medical treatment facilities
PIP does not cover damage to vehicles or other property and exists primarily to cover losses of the policyholders and their passengers, as well as any pedestrians that experience injuries due to a wreck. This coverage also pays drivers even if they have personal medical insurance. The New York State Department of Financial Services notes that PIP covers up to $50,000 per person.
Why Do Motorists Need a Car Wreck Lawyer Near the Garment District?
Because New York motorists must carry PIP, they may not feel the need to hire a lawyer after an accident in the Garment District. However, their injuries may eclipse that coverage and they may need to sue other motorists to cover additional expenses. Speaking to a lawyer in the district can provide injured drivers with a variety of benefits when their PIP coverage cannot satisfy the cost of their losses.
Our car crash attorneys know what kind of evidence to look for while building a case. They track down and speak to witnesses and collect police reports and medical bills as proof of fault or loss. They can even serve subpoenas to call in reluctant witnesses.
When crashes in the Garment District happen and driver injuries eclipse their PIP, insurance agents who represent other drivers may push for a settlement out of court. Our attorneys here at Cellino Law know how to handle calls and letters from these companies and defend our clients from unfair settlement offers during a time when they may feel particularly vulnerable.
Building a solid case
Injured drivers may find it difficult to gather all the information and documents they need or have the experience to represent themselves in a courtroom. Our attorneys can take the puzzle of a car crash lawsuit out of their hands and build a case built on individual facts and current New York State motor vehicle laws, as well as local Manhattan traffic codes.
Because technology and social media changed how people interact and discuss their lives, it also affects the way injured Manhattan drivers might discuss their crash with friends and family. Our lawyers can safeguard upcoming cases by advising clients to avoid social media or discussing any facts that could have a negative impact. Even the most innocent comment on a social media page open to viewing by almost anyone can appear accusatory or as an admission of guilt.
Contact Us for Garment District Personal Injury Assistance
Manhattan roads are difficult to navigate, even for the most experienced drivers. When accidents happen in the Garment District, injured motorists may not know how to proceed or where to turn when the cost of their injuries eclipses their PIP. Call us here at Cellino Law at 800-555-5555 or send us a message online today for further information and assistance regarding a Garment District car wreck.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!
- Now that reality has set in, I want to thank you for all your work and assistance in obtaining my settlement for the pelvic mesh. This money will make my life so much easier in the future. Medicare just isn't sufficient. I know that I will have enough to live on. I truly appreciate of your efforts. Thank you!