Unfortunately, pedestrian accidents are far from uncommon in New York City. According to the NYPD collision statistics, a total of 273 people died in motor vehicle accidents in New York City in 2021 — among those numbers, 124 were pedestrians.
Although pedestrian injuries and deaths are on a decline since the introduction of Vision Zero, an initiative set to eliminate pedestrian fatalities and serious injuries in New York City, pedestrian accidents are still far too common and can end with tragic results. Here are some of the main causes of pedestrian accidents that happen in NYC:
Distracted Driving/Distracted Pedestrian
As one of the major causes of most car crashes, distracted driving has become a major hazard to both drivers and pedestrians across the United States. Drivers that are distracted by smartphones, GPS systems or even eating while driving may not be able to adequately assess their surroundings and fail to yield to proper traffic signals or crosswalks.
Likewise, any pedestrian who is distracted by cellphones or something else may fail to yield to traffic signs, signals, appropriate crosswalks, or other hazards resulting in injuries and sometimes fatalities.
Driving While Intoxicated
When drivers make the choice to get behind the wheel while intoxicated, serious consequences can result from those actions. While driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, motorists have slower reaction times and inhibited judgment — making them a danger to other drivers and pedestrians.
Speeding & Reckless Driving
Speeding and reckless driving are often overlooked and dangerous driving behaviors that have become the norm for many drivers in NYC.
Impatient drivers will often drive recklessly; failing to fully stop at stop signs, speed through neighborhoods, or even disregarding turn signals. Speeding and driving recklessly puts many at danger, especially children and pedestrians in highly populated or residential neighborhoods.
Failing to Obey Traffic Signals
By failing to properly obey all traffic signals on the roadways, drivers and pedestrians alike are putting themselves and others in a potentially dangerous situation.
Drivers and pedestrians should always be aware of posted traffic signals including yield signs, stop signs, crosswalk signals and traffic lights. Failure to do so could result in serious injuries to the pedestrian, regardless of who is at fault.
Sometimes, the cause of the accident doesn’t lie fully on either the driver or the pedestrian. The physical layout of NYC can cause some issues that may compel pedestrians to enter or cross roads in unsafe situations.
Some physical factors that can contribute to pedestrian accidents can include inconvenient crosswalk placements, narrow roads that encourage jaywalking, poor sidewalk conditions or absence of walkable sidewalks and inadequate crossing devices.
What To Do If You’re Injured In A Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrians who are involved in traffic accidents can suffer from catastrophic injuries including traumatic brain injuries, disfigurement, broken bones, or death. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury due to a negligent driver, it is important for you to have a lawyer represent your interests.
A competent and experienced personal injury lawyer will fight on your behalf to ensure that you or your loved ones receive the maximum amount of compensation for their injuries including pain and suffering. The team of personal injury attorneys at Cellino Law have decades of experience working with pedestrians who have been severely injured due to negligent drivers. Call us today at 800-555-5555 for your free and confidential case consultation.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I am very pleased (and surprised) at the amount of the settlement. We will use the funds to help pay down the debt on the truck we had to purchase after ours was totaled. Thank you again.
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!