New York rental truck accidents have the capacity to be nearly as destructive as semi-truck accidents due to their size. Yet, they are usually not operated by professional drivers. Most people only drive a rental truck for specific occasions, such as moving a child into college, relocating across the state for a new job, or switching apartments.
This lack of familiarity with the truck’s limitations and potentially unfamiliar streets can increase the likelihood of a collision with another motorist, bicyclist, or pedestrian. Determining liability can be a nightmare, depending on the cause of the crash. Meanwhile, you may be struggling to pay your medical bills, sacrificing necessities to make up for lost wages, and suffering from painful injuries.
At Cellino Law, we are prepared to deal with the complexities that often arise in a rental truck accident claim. With several decades of experience negotiating fair settlements for injured New Yorkers, Cellino Law is the team you want to represent your interests. You can call us at (800) 555-5555 to schedule a free consultation with our team or reach out through our online form.
The Dangers of New York Rental Truck Accidents
Rental trucks’ unfamiliar design makes turning, merging, changing lanes, and coming to a safe stop significantly more difficult for many renters. The length of the trailer portion creates large blind spots, which can quickly become a problem. Drivers must make wider turns than they are likely used to, creating another opportunity for a collision.
Additionally, the weight of a rental truck means it will take longer to stop as compared to the passenger vehicles most renters are accustomed to. Rental trucks share similar drawbacks with semi-trucks, but the difference is that you don’t need a commercial driver’s license to operate a rental truck.
Further, rental truck drivers are not bound by the same requirements as professional drivers, like mandatory breaks to decrease the risk of drowsy driving. Rental truck drivers who are distracted, impaired, fatigued, or simply reckless are further jeopardizing the safety of their fellow motorists and road users.
A study conducted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, a government agency regulating commercial vehicles, offers data to support that rental truck accidents are almost exclusively attributable to driver error, whether the rental truck driver or another driver.
Understanding Your Coverage as a Rental Truck Driver in New York
In a scenario where you are driving a rental truck and causing an accident, knowing what coverage your insurance provides is essential. While you were likely asked to present proof of insurance when renting the truck, your insurance does not necessarily provide coverage for rental truck accidents. In fact, many insurance carriers don’t because of the heightened risk of liability.
Rental truck companies are aware of this, and many offer temporary supplemental coverage. Penske, a well-known rental truck provider, has several options for renters. The lowest level covers physical damage to the truck regardless of fault, the next level includes coverage for authorized drivers against third-party claims seeking compensation for injuries or property damage.
This is followed by a package that also protects your cargo up to $15,000, and the last level offers all of the aforementioned coverage plus insurance for a rental truck driver and their passenger if they are injured or killed in an accident. In the event that your personal insurance excludes rental trucks and you do not purchase supplemental coverage, you are effectively uninsured.
Pathways for Compensation if You Were Injured in a Rental Truck Accident
No-Fault Insurance Offers Straightforward Coverage for Financial Losses
New York mandates that drivers carry Personal Injury Protection insurance, which offers no-fault coverage in the event of an accident. That means you are entitled to $50,000 as the policyholder, and any passengers in your car can also potentially claim $50,000, even if your actions caused the rental truck accident.
The limitations of this option are that New York PIP does not cover property damage, nor does it compensate you for non-economic damages like loss of quality of life. Instead, it focuses on the two most common major expenses for injury victims: medical bills and lost wages. You might rely on PIP if you only sustained minor injuries or were at fault for the collision with the rental truck.
Small Claims Court is an Option for Low-Value Recoveries
Small claims courts deal with cases seeking less than $5,001 for economic damages. While no-fault PIP insurance handles medical expenses and lost wages, it excludes other common monetary losses like property damage. Where filing a third-party insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit is often time-consuming, representing yourself in small claims court can be a hassle-free way to recover these types of costs.
Say that you were in a rear-end rental truck accident where you sustained a relatively minor whiplash injury and your car’s bumper was damaged.
Your Personal Injury Protection covers your doctor’s visit for your whiplash injury, but you still have the expense of repairing the bumper and the rental car you used while your vehicle was in the shop. All told, you’re only seeking about $1,000, which doesn’t really justify a personal injury lawsuit.
Third Party Insurance Claims Offer More Types of Compensation if You Can Meet the Qualifications
This type of claim involves making your case for compensation to the negligent rental truck driver’s insurance carrier, arguing that their actions caused your injuries. Your claim will be adjudicated by an insurance agent, which can lead to a faster settlement. The tradeoff is the agent’s agenda is to pay you the lowest justifiable amount to protect their profits.
Third-party insurance claims provide compensation for both economic and non-economic damages. In order to file a third-party insurance claim, you must meet the legal threshold to be eligible. Either you sustained a serious injury, had more than $50,000 of damages covered by PIP, have inadequate insurance, or are filing a wrongful death claim on behalf of someone who was fatally injured.
Personal Injury Lawsuits Often Take Longer to Settle But Can Result in Better Compensation
The legal threshold still applies to injured parties seeking compensation in a personal injury lawsuit. Once you have cleared that, you still have to provide enough evidence of the defendant’s negligence and its connection to your injuries and damages to fulfill the burden of proof for a personal injury claim.
If you can establish that the rental truck driver, the rental truck company, or another party like the truck parts manufacturer is liable, you are one step closer to recovering compensation for your economic and non-economic damages.
You may have a better chance of maximizing your compensation, as personal injury lawsuits are negotiated with a judge or jury as the final decision rather than an insurance company.
Choose Cellino Law to Negotiate Your New York Rental Truck Accident Claim
If an insurance company is involved in the process of you seeking compensation for your damages, you need a reliable legal advocate to represent your interests. The rental truck lawyers of Cellino Law can provide that knowledge base and beneficial resources. New Yorkers have trusted our family for generations based on the treatment they receive and the results we secure.
Our team is tenacious and thorough, which is a great combination when it comes to parsing complex insurance issues and documenting damages. At Cellino Law, you can feel confident that our personal injury attorneys will go the extra mile to maximize your compensation in your New York rental truck accident claim.
Contact Cellino Law About Your New York Rental Truck Accident Lawsuit
After a New York rental truck accident, you may be in the fight of your life. Maybe you are overwhelmed by medical debt after being T-boned by a U-Haul, facing a claim against your insurance after you reversed into a rental truck, or considering a personal injury lawsuit to seek compensation for your chronic pain.
The personal injury lawyers of Cellino Law are ready to support you in a variety of scenarios to ensure you are properly compensated for your damages. Our team will prioritize your needs as we protect your right to seek compensation, evaluate how much your claim is worth, and compile evidence to establish the defendant’s negligence, if necessary.
Don’t let the multitude of options for compensation deter you from seeking the financial relief you need. At Cellino Law, we are committed to making the claims process as streamlined as possible so that you can receive the compensation you are entitled to sooner rather than later.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.