There is no understating how devastating a slip and fall accident can be, with broken bones and head injuries being common results of many falls. It goes without saying that property owners should compensate you if you experience a slip and fall due to their negligence, but what about accidents that happen on government property?
It can be confusing or unclear who is liable for a slip and fall that happens in a public place or on government property, but that does not mean you cannot pursue compensation. At Cellino Law, our slip and fall accident lawyers are ready to help you navigate the complexities of a slip and fall claim that happens on government properties in Manhattan.
How Can a Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Help Me?
There are specific procedures to follow when pursuing a slip and fall claim, especially if the accident occurred in a public place or on public property. These can be stressful and overwhelming to deal with while you are focusing on recovering from your injuries. Your slip and fall attorney can handle the difficult parts of your case for you so that you can make a smooth return to everyday life.
Our team at Cellino Law assists with your slip and fall claim by:
- Investigating the cause of your accident
- Collecting evidence that establishes the property owner’s negligence
- Filling out complex paperwork on your behalf
- Negotiating with insurance companies, government agencies and other lawyers
- Representing you in court if you so choose
Involving a slip and fall accident lawyer in the claim process as soon as possible can help ensure that things go smoothly from start to finish. Your legal team can even help with filing the initial claim, giving you peace of mind that everything is correct and accurate.
Can I File a Slip and Fall Claim on Government Property?
Government agencies are subject to the same premises liability laws as anyone else. This means that you can certainly file a slip and fall claim for an accident that happens on government property or in a public space. However, there are certain limitations to keep in mind when filing a claim against a government agency. It is necessary to notify the responsible government entity of the injury first before filing a claim within a tight 90-day window, meaning that swift action is crucial.
When it comes to certain public places, like parks and sidewalks, perhaps the biggest hurdle in filing a slip and fall claim is finding the responsible government agency to which you should report the injury. Your slip and fall accident lawyer can do the legwork for you and untangle the web of bureaucracy so that you get what you deserve from the at-fault party.
Who Is Liable for a Slip and Fall in a Public Place?
The party who is liable in a slip and fall claim in a public place is either the city government or the municipal department that was negligent in keeping that property safe and hazard-free. For example, a government agency that does not salt icy sidewalks or promptly clean up spills in its building’s lobby is liable for any slips and falls that happen.
New York City Administrative Code also specifies that, in addition to mitigating hazards, owners of public property must also warn those using the public property of any risks or dangerous conditions that may be present. This law extends to sidewalks, streets and bridges, but your slip and fall accident lawyer can help you understand if you have a valid claim if your fall occurred on any other type of public property instead.
How Can I Prove Liability in My Slip and Fall Case?
The first step toward proving liability in a slip and fall incident that happens in a public place is establishing that the party who owns or maintains that space has a duty of care toward you as a visitor. For example, the city has a duty to make sure that people can use sidewalks and bridges safely. You and your legal team must then prove that the government agency failed in that duty by neglecting to correct hazardous conditions.
Causation is an equally important factor, meaning that you must provide evidence indicating that the at-fault party’s negligence was the direct cause of your slip and fall accident. If you wish to pursue financial compensation from the agency responsible for your fall, it is also necessary to demonstrate that you suffered considerable damages as a direct result of the incident. Your slip and fall accident lawyer can help you link your accident to the government’s negligence and evaluate your damages so you receive fitting compensation.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Slip and Falls in Public Places?
Government property and city-maintained spaces come in many varieties. These include administrative buildings, sidewalks, other public walkways and more. This also means that the types of slip and fall hazards you might encounter on government property are numerous and unpredictable.
Some of the most common causes of slips and falls in public places include:
- Wet floors
- Loose or damaged carpeting
- Exposed wiring
- Potholes or cracks in the sidewalk
- Fallen trees or branches
If you experience a slip and fall for any of these reasons while in a public place or on government property, do not hesitate to file a claim so you can receive the compensation you deserve. Feel free to contact a slip and fall accident lawyer at Cellino Law if you are unsure whether the cause of your accident is grounds for a personal injury case.
What Injuries Can Occur in a Slip and Fall?
Demonstrating the presence of a resulting injury is an unavoidable aspect of a slip and fall case. If there is no noticeable injury, nor any other demonstrable damages, it may be difficult to pursue your claim further. Knowing some of the common injuries that can occur because of a slip and fall may help you understand how strong your case might be:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries or traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Cuts, bruises or abrasions
If you suffer such an injury, you might be facing significant financial damages and adverse effects on your quality of life. You deserve compensation for this pain and suffering, so it is important to work with a slip and fall accident lawyer to hold the negligent parties accountable, even if that party is a government entity.
How Is a Government Claim Different From a Private Business Slip and Fall Claim?
Slip and fall claims that you file with the government are very different from those you might file against a private business owner, not only because of the nature of the locations where these accidents happen but also because of the amount of time you have to pursue legal action. It is also worth noting that some city governments impose a cap on the amount of damages a claimant can recover in a personal injury case, though New York City has no such cap in place.
One of your most valuable resources in a government slip and fall claim is a legal team with the specialized knowledge and experience necessary to hold government entities accountable for negligent behavior that leads to a catastrophic slip and fall incident.
Contact a Manhattan Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Today
It can seem like the world is against you after a random slip and fall leaves you with devastating injuries, especially if it happens on government property with no clear liable party to pursue. If your accident is the result of someone’s negligence, though, then there is a clear chance for a favorable outcome. Contact the Manhattan slip and fall accident lawyers at Cellino Law today by calling (888) 888-8888 to set up a free case review.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.
- Now that reality has set in, I want to thank you for all your work and assistance in obtaining my settlement for the pelvic mesh. This money will make my life so much easier in the future. Medicare just isn't sufficient. I know that I will have enough to live on. I truly appreciate of your efforts. Thank you!
- Tim Cellino handled my case beautifully. He is very knowledgeable and patient with all my questions. He kept in touch with me through out my ordeal. Tim also got a settlement for more than I expected. I highly recommend Tim Cellino!