Car accidents can happen anywhere, and the nature of an accident can vary dramatically based on the location. In the hours and days following a crash, your main concerns are likely to be recovering from your injuries and pursuing the compensation you deserve from the at-fault driver. This raises the question of whether or not the location of the accident has any bearing on your case.
At Cellino Law, our personal injury attorneys take every factor into account when helping you secure the full amount of compensation you deserve from the insurance company. We are ready to answer any questions you might have regarding your case, including whether or not the location of the accident will affect your settlement.
What Are the Most Common Locations for Car Accidents?
When considering the importance of the location of an accident to your case, it is crucial to understand where car accidents are most common and why they are so frequent at those locations. This can help you and your legal team narrow down the root cause of your own accident, making it easier to establish fault.
Parking lots and residential neighborhoods are places where accidents are especially common even though most traffic moves slowly through these areas. The dangerous factor in these locations is that a reckless driver might not pay sufficient attention to pedestrians or does not exercise due caution when parked vehicles obstruct their view. When a pedestrian or a moving vehicle emerges from behind an obstruction, a reckless driver might make a sudden and desperate maneuver that causes an accident.
Intersections and highways are also likely locations for motor vehicle accidents. These are places where traffic is abundant and drivers tend to proceed at high speeds. A moment of distraction can have devastating consequences in these locations.
Can the Location of an Accident Help Determine Fault?
Success in a personal injury case hinges on your ability to prove that the other party was at fault and that their negligent behavior directly led to you sustaining injuries. Your attorney can bear the burden of collecting evidence that points at the other driver’s fault and presenting the case to the relevant insurance providers. This evidence can include photographs, police reports and even the accident location itself.
The nature of a location can make it clear who was at fault for the accident. For example, an investigation can clearly reveal who had the right of way at a traffic intersection. Knowing the traffic laws of that particular location can make a difference too, as the other driver might be guilty of speeding or performing an illegal maneuver.
How Can the Location of the Accident Help Create Evidence for My Case?
One important step to take in the aftermath of an accident, if you are physically able, is to document the scene with photographs or video. In this way, you create evidence showing the nature of the location, the extent of your damage and the physical dynamic between the two vehicles. This is one way that the location itself can help you produce evidence that strengthens your case.
Depending on the location, there might also be surveillance footage showing your accident in full and from a very telling angle. Some traffic intersections have red light cameras, for example, that will take a snapshot when a driver recklessly runs a red light. If your collision occurred near a business, you and your legal team might also ask to see the footage in case it captured the moment of the accident.
Are There Likely To Be Witnesses to My Accident?
Witness testimony is another powerful form of evidence that can lend a great deal of credence to your case. In the absence of video footage, the only impartial account that you can lean on is that of an uninvolved bystander who happened to see the collision as it happened. Your attorney can handle the legwork of finding witnesses and collecting their statements, but keep in mind that some locations are more likely to have witnesses than others.
The location of the accident affects your case greatly in terms of how likely it is that someone saw the moment of the collision. Some areas are very likely to have witnesses, such as busy intersections or active parking lots. Other places, like remote highways or quiet residential neighborhoods, might not produce any witnesses whatsoever.
Will the Location Affect My Recoverable Damages?
Recoverable damages refer to the expenses you incur as a result of an accident, as well as any pain or suffering for which the law states you may pursue compensation. Proving the presence of recoverable damages is another essential part of a personal injury claim, as it is necessary to demonstrate that you experienced losses in order for the insurance company to compensate you for those losses.
One way that the location of an accident might affect your recoverable damages is in the possibility that accidents in certain areas might be prone to higher severity. For example, an accident that occurs on the highway when vehicles are travelling at speeds of 70 miles per hour or more might result in greater damage to your own vehicle or more severe injuries.
A car accident can also have a significant impact on your quality of life, your enjoyment of life and your mental state. Depending on the location of your accident, you might find it difficult to drive through otherwise mundane areas due to genuine trauma or anxiety. If your accident occurred in a traffic intersection, for instance, you might experience a valid loss of your quality of life because you cannot easily approach similar intersections. This is an example of pain and suffering for which the insurance company owes you due compensation.
How Can a Personal Injury Attorney Help My Claim?
The location of your accident is just one of many factors to consider when building your personal injury case. On top of that, your main priority is to focus on recovering from your injuries and making a return to your everyday life. Working with an attorney removes the burden of your legal case from your shoulders.
The personal injury attorneys at Cellino Law can help your claim by:
- Investigating the circumstances of your accident
- Collecting evidence at and around the location of the crash
- Handling paperwork and other administrative tasks
- Negotiating with the insurance company on your behalf
- Representing you in court if necessary
While there is likely to be many thoughts racing through your head after an accident, contacting your lawyer is one of the first steps to take after confirming your well-being. Involving an attorney early in the process ensures you have all the help you need from filing your claim all the way to settlement.
Contact the Personal Injury Attornies at Cellino Law Today
You might have 100 valid questions after a motor vehicle accident, and it can be all too easy to overthink each and every one of them when you are dealing with stressful emotions and physical injuries. At Cellino Law, we stand ready to provide the guidance and support you need at every step of your personal injury case. Call us today by dialing (888) 888-8888 or contact us online to learn more.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I am very pleased (and surprised) at the amount of the settlement. We will use the funds to help pay down the debt on the truck we had to purchase after ours was totaled. Thank you again.
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry