Any workers comp lawyer in Buffalo knows that if you get hurt on the job, the last thing you should have to worry about is medical bills. Your employer should take care of your medical treatment. They should also provide you with replacement wages while you’re recovering from your injuries. And, no matter where you live, this is exactly what happens.
Employees are covered by workers’ compensation insurance. All employers are required to carry this insurance. There are a few exceptions. Some of these include companies that only employ a couple of people. It also doesn’t apply to certain types of employees, such as farmworkers, nannies, and railroad workers. But, for everyone else, as long as you follow the rules, there’s no reason why your workers’ comp claim in Buffalo should be denied.
Unfortunately, not all employers do the right thing. They may deny your claim for an illegitimate reason. Or, your claim could be denied because you simply didn’t meet the requirements for workers’ comp benefits. If this happens, the first thing you need to do is call and talk to a skilled Buffalo workers comp lawyer. They’ll help you appeal your claim. They’ll also make sure your claim is handled properly from the start.
If You Don’t Meet the Basic Requirements, Your Workers Comp Claim in New York Will Be Denied
There are certain things you must do in order to have your New York workers comp claim approved. These requirements are the same no matter where you live. For example, if you don’t report your accident to your Human Resources manager right away, your claim may be denied. Here are some of the other reasons why this could happen:
- Your injury or illness didn’t take place on the job
- You refuse to be treated by a company-approved doctor
- You were drunk or high at the time of your accident
- Something other than your job caused your injuries
- You have a history of filing false claims
- The company doesn’t think you were actually hurt
- You refuse to take a drug test immediately after your injury or accident
If any of these are the basis for your claim being denied, there may not be much your Buffalo workers comp lawyer can do to help. Your employer has some level of protection when it comes to paying out these claims. So, if you refuse to comply with these basic requirements, there’s a good chance your claim will be denied. And, there is a good chance you may lose on appeal as well.
How Can a Buffalo Workers Comp Lawyer Help?
If you get hurt at work, you should call a skilled workers comp lawyer in Buffalo right away. Very few employees understand how the workers comp laws in New York work. You may think you have rights that you don’t have. For example, a friend may tell you that you have the right to refuse to take a drug test after your work-related accident. This isn’t the case. Your employer has a right to know if you were under the influence of alcohol or any drug at the time you were hurt. And, if you were, they have a right to refuse to pay for your medical treatment. The same is true for your replacement wages.
Call and Schedule Your Consultation with an Experienced Workers Comp Lawyer in Buffalo
If you get hurt on the job, you should call and talk to a skilled work injury lawyer as soon as possible. You have no idea if your claim is going to be approved. It all depends on your employer and their insurance company. And, if your claim is denied, you only have a certain amount of time to appeal your claim.
Your Buffalo workers compensation attorney will make sure your claim is handled properly. They’re also going to ensure that you the benefits to which you’re entitled. If you aren’t represented by counsel, the insurance company is going to take advantage of you. You also have no idea how the law works. You may not understand how you’re supposed to appeal your claim. The best way to do that is to hire someone who does this for a living.
Call today and schedule your free initial consultation with an experienced workers comp lawyer in Buffalo, New York. You can sit down with someone who’s handled dozens of cases like yours before. They can give you an idea of whether your claim is valid. They can also let you know what your case is worth. The good news is that your initial consultation is free and you don’t pay a dime until your case is resolved.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.
- Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I am very pleased (and surprised) at the amount of the settlement. We will use the funds to help pay down the debt on the truck we had to purchase after ours was totaled. Thank you again.
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.