Is there a provision for Workers’ Comp for Truck Drivers?
Trucking is a big and growing industry in the USA. According to
The American Trucking Association estimates there are 3.5 million professional truck drivers in the country.
Driving a truck is a hard and risky business, and according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it’s one of the deadliest professions with more than a thousand fatalities per year.
This profession can be risky because of the chances of a crash, but besides the accidents, there are other hazards related to this profession.
So, if a truck driver ends in an accident, besides the accident claim, they can get a workers’ compensation claim which is guaranteed to them as an employee.
If you’re a truck driver and got injured while doing your job, make sure to get legal assistance from a New York workers’ compensation attorney.
What are Workers’ Compensation Benefits?
Workers’ compensation will cover injuries that occurred at work (the injury that happened as a result of an injury at the workplace) and occupational illnesses (that develop over time).
Just like in any profession, truck drivers can get injured at work or develop an occupational illness.
Worker’s compensation will cover medical treatments, lost wages and death benefits.
The compensation will cover all your surgeries, MRI, CT scans, X-rays, doctor and hospital visits, medical devices, prescribed meditations, prosthetics. It will cover past, present and future earnings and in case of death, the family of the deceased will get coverage for funeral and burial expenses, but also a percentage of weekly compensation.
Trucking Accident Injuries
These injuries can be anything from a small trauma like a minor concussion to a major and severe injury such as traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury or amputation.
In accidents when a truck is rear-ended or in an underride crash, the driver will have a better chance to get out of the accident without harsh injuries. This mainly because of the height of the truck cab, and the truck weight, compared to the smaller vehicle.
However, if the truck rolls over or ends up in a jackknife accident, the driver can end with severe injuries.
Truck drivers may end with severe injuries such as head trauma, broken bones, internal injuries like bleeding organs, seat belt injuries, rib or torso injuries, head trauma and back and neck injuries.
Occupational Injuries and Illness in Truck Drivers
These people aren’t just exposed to a motor accident. They don’t just sit behind the wheel driving the cargo from one place to other. The long hours, constant sitting position, hands on the wheel can lead to occupational illnesses.
Repetitive Stress Injuries
A repetitive motion or positioning during normal activities at work can easily cause a repetitive stress injury.
A repetitive stress injury often leads to soft tissue injuries that include muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves. These conditions include the following injuries:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Trigger finger
- Ganglion cysts
- Epicondylitis (tennis elbow)
You may feel pain, tingling, numbness or other sensations in any part of the body that is exposed to repetitive stress.
Truck drivers can feel these conditions, which can be affected by how they sit, how they drive, how long they drive, and their posture.
Truck drivers often suffer from neck and back disorders, but also upper extremities injuries, and pain caused by loading and unloading heavy cargo.
Besides lifting heavy cargo, truck drivers may develop back, neck and upper extremities disorders because they tend to climb into the truck cab, long hours of sitting and steering the wheel.
The truck cab is designed to affect the posture of the driver; they can’t just get up or stretch in the cab. Driving takes long hours, and these people have to sit carefully positions so they can always check the mirrors, steering the wheel, keep their legs on the pedals. All of these can easily affect the musculoskeletal system.
Truck drivers tend to become obese. Obesity, stress, smoking and eating junk food can easily lead to diabetes, heart failure, or cancer.
Substance abuse to stay awake on the road can lead to dependence. Besides these, the exposure to chemicals can be a huge risk for their lives and health in the long run.
If you’re a truck driver who develops an occupational illness or got injured while driving, schedule your consultation at Cellino Law.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a fantastic job as our attorney. We could not have been more pleased with the work you and your team has done on this case. This past four years or so has been such a roller coaster for our family. We are very pleased and grateful with the result. We have made a good choice by choosing you. Thank you.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.
- My experience during the time of negotiations was extremely positive. Josh Sandberg handled my lawsuit with the utmost integrity. He returned all my phone calls in a timely manner and answered all my questions. Josh made things less stressful. I would highly recommend Josh and the entire staff at Cellino Law.