Dog owners are required to take care of safety around their pets by law. Every dog can bite, no matter how well trained, calm, big or small they are. If you won a dog you have rights and responsibilities to keep them guarded and to prevent them from potentially biting another person.
If you were bitten by a dog, you have the right to seek justice on your side. You can file a lawsuit against the dog owner and seek a compensation claim for your injuries as well as the pain and suffering you’ve been through.
If you were recently bitten by a dog, you should consult with a New York personal injury attorney.
What Should Dog Owners Do If Their Dog Bites Someone?
Both the owner and the victim should judge the medical complications of the dog bite. This can be a stressful moment, but they should remain calm. Exchange information with the victim – name, the insurance company, if your dog was vaccinated, just anything that is important in this case. If there was a witness nearby, ask them to share their contact info as well.
The victim should immediately seek medical help. The doctor should record their injury, and include photos of the bites, as well as info of the dog breed, size, color, and other identifying features.
The victim should report the dog bite attack to the local SPCA or local police department. They should seek legal help from a personal injury attorney.
What Protections Under the Law Will Protect Dogs That Have Bitten a Person Who Provoked Them?
This is a very possible scenario – a trained and peaceful dog, bites after being provoked. Under New York law if a dog attacks out of provocation, the law allows several defenses that the dog owner can use in their civil liability claim.
For instance, the owner can use the following:
- The dog attacked while protecting its home against trespassers or someone who wasn’t legally allowed on the property or was trying a criminal activity on the property.
- The dog was protecting its owner or even its puppies when it bit the person.
- The dog was experiencing pain or suffering when it bit someone.
- The dog was provoked, tormented, abused, or assaulted by the bitten person.
When Should Dog Owners of Aggressive Dogs Contact an Attorney?
If your dog bit someone and you could face a personal injury lawsuit or claim by the other party, you can face a misdemeanor which is known as “harboring a dangerous dog”. It’s best to contact an attorney as soon as possible (make sure the attorney has experience with animal law cases).
When Should the Bitten Person Contact an Attorney?
The bitten immediately or as soon as you can. Contact a personal injury attorney who has a history with dog bite cases. Before calling your attorney, be sure to have the insurance company info of the dog owner. It’s important not to answer additional questions asked by the owner’s insurers without your attorney. If they offer you an amount for your medical expenses, avoid accepting it. Also, you shouldn’t sign anything or go to meetings before consulting with your lawyer.
This way the insurance company may lead you to sign something that won’t work for your case. Any answer you give will be used against you, so they can deny the settlement or offer a low amount. Also, if you accept any settlement, you risk it being low. Maybe you feel that it’s a good option to accept the money and pay for your medical expenses, but you can’t be sure if there will be any complications with your injury. Once you have accepted the settlement, you can’t seek a new one.
One Bite Law
This rule means that the dog only has “one free bite” before its owner faces legal troubles. However, if the owner knew their dog was aggressive (even though they haven’t bitten anyone before) they will be held liable.
However, this can be quite difficult for proving (unless you know the dog and its owner).
If you’re a victim of a dog bite, make sure to contact an experienced lawyer who has a history with such cases.
The same goes for dog owners. If your dog has bitten a person who was trespassing or provoked your dog, you have the right to a good defense.
Here at Cellino Law, we have experience with dog bite cases; schedule your first free consultation and we’ll give you all the answers.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- Tim Cellino handled my case beautifully. He is very knowledgeable and patient with all my questions. He kept in touch with me through out my ordeal. Tim also got a settlement for more than I expected. I highly recommend Tim Cellino!