If you have a personal injury case, and your damages and injuries are known (they got into your medical record) your (or you and your attorney if you hired one) will send a demand letter to the liable person or their insurance company. The insurers may respond to your demand letter with a low settlement (also known as “low-ball”). How you will respond to this will affect the money you will get and your ability to cover your medical bills, lost wages and other damages and expenses related to your injury.
It’s best if you have a New York personal injury attorney to guide you through this and negotiate the offer.
Analyze the Offer
It’s easy to get upset after a low-ball offer especially if your injury was serious and you have big bile of medical bills.
But, stay calm and analyze the offer. You don’t have to send an emotional response to the insurance company. Also, don’t make the mistake to accept this first low-ball offer.
Many people panic and believe that there is no chance for a higher offer, so they accept the small settlement even though they can get a higher offer with a proper negotiation.
The first offer by the insurance company is just the beginning of the settlement negotiations.
Respond in Writing
Before you write a formal response, you can send the adjuster an email or call them, asking detailed questions that will evaluate the basics for the low first offer. The answers to the questions will give you a clearer picture and guidance for the formal draft of your response.
The first low offer may occur because you didn’t send sufficient info about your injuries and other losses. If this is the case, give the adjuster important info such as your medical bills, lost wages and other relevant information.
If you don’t do this in your first demand letter, focus on the subjective and emotional points of your case. The timeline of the accident and your medical treatment were probably described in your first demand letter, so make sure you don’t repeat yourself. If you wrote the costs and date of your surgery in the first demand letter, don’t repeat that. Instead, write about the effects of the injury (additional medications, the hospital stay).
Now it’s a good time to write about the non-economic damages i.e your pain and suffering. You have gone through stress, trauma and other emotional states that the injury put you through. State that you no longer are able to enjoy the hobbies you used to have, for example.
Form Your Counteroffer
It’s not a very good idea to respond to a low-ball offer for your injury with a super high counteroffer. Keep a professional and detailed approach to your injury settlement negotiations, but consider the amount you believe you deserve and the limits of the applicable insurance coverage. Also, consider that the at-fault party has potential assets.
Maybe your injury was severe and changed the quality of your life forever and you may believe that you deserve $50 000. But, the other side may have low insurance policy limits, and your best chance is to get $25 000. Your reasonable counteroffer can vary between $35 000 – $40 000
You may have to offer more than one counteroffer. Sure, it may seem like a waste of your time especially if you’re still recovering, but the back-and-forth offers are pretty much a standard in personal injury settlement processes.
You Don’t Have to Settle Until You’re Healed
During your recovery process, you don’t have to accept any settlement. You can’t be sure what your costs will be in the end, so you don’t have to take the first (low-ball) offer.
remember that once you accept an offer, you can’t go back and file for a new personal injury lawsuit and ask for more money.
This is why it’s important to think well about the offer. If it’s necessary allow your attorney to negotiate until you get a satisfying settlement and you know will cover all your injury-related expenses.
We have experience with personal injury claims and negotiations. Our mission is to help you get the settlement you deserve. We offer you a free case evaluation; we’ll advise you on the next steps in your case and will help you write a demand letter as well as a counteroffer.
Contact our office today and schedule your first consultation.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a fantastic job as our attorney. We could not have been more pleased with the work you and your team has done on this case. This past four years or so has been such a roller coaster for our family. We are very pleased and grateful with the result. We have made a good choice by choosing you. Thank you.