Road construction zones are risky and dangerous places for both workers and drivers. Things can get quite complex if construction companies are negligent and fail to keep the area safe. Accidents at these places can happen because of debris, trenches, uneven roads, bright lights, confusing detours, and workers who are too close to the road.
Although you should be extra careful when driving near a construction site, such an accident can happen.
If you get involved in a construction site accident, it should be determined if the company holds liability for your injuries. This is a difficult process and can’t be done without the help of a skilled and experienced attorney.
Make sure to call a New York personal injury with experience in construction site accidents.
Construction Company Responsibilities in Road Work Zones
Construction companies are legally responsible for keeping the zone safe for their workers but also for everyone else who passes near this area. The company that oversees the project must take necessary precautions to lower the risk for car accidents, such as:
- Posting warning signs on the entrance to the work area
- Keeping equipment and debris off the road
- Making safe detours
- Making sure the road is safe for driving
If the construction company fails to take appropriate steps, it could be held liable for damages and injuries that resulted in a crash. These accidents can be anything from a blown tire by nails on the road, to a car flipping over because of debris or uneven road.
Who Can Be Liable for a Car Accident Caused by Construction?
Road construction projects involve several different parties who may potentially be liable for a car accident in a construction zone:
- The city or municipality – The city or municipality must put warning signs around the construction area. Lack of proper barriers, signs, medians, poorly constructed roads, unsafe surfaces, and damaged guardrails are just a few of the things that the city or municipality should take care of. In case the crash happened on land that is owned by the city or state, they should be held liable for the damages.
- The product manufacturer – If the construction company uses (unknowingly) faulty equipment that anyhow leads to road damage and causes an accident, the manufacturer of the equipment could be held liable for the damages that resulted in the accident.
- Third-party claims – Building companies frequently use outside contractors to help them with certain tasks on the worksite. If your accident happened because of the negligence of these third parties, you can file a claim against them. If multiple parties share liability for your accident, you have a chance to get a compensation claim from each party. This way your settlement will be much higher so you can cover all expenses.
Safety Tips to Prevent Car Accidents in Building Zones
Although it’s best to avoid driving near construction zones, sometimes it is impossible. But if you have to drive near heavy machinery, damaged roads, and faulty equipment, you should be extra careful and follow these tips to stay away from an accident:
- Pay attention to all warning signs as soon as you see them
- If there are instructions, follow them, including adjusting your speed while driving in the construction site area.
- Keep a safe distance from construction vehicles, construction workers, cones and barriers, and work equipment.
- Avoid making random lane changes (unless you must).
- Drive carefully and stay focused on the road.
- Avoid distractions such as texting, talking on your phone, eating, changing the radio station, or adjusting the air conditioner.
Do You Need a Qualified Attorney for Legal Assistance
Car accidents are never easy and besides the fact that you will deal with injuries and damages, medical treatments, and expenses related to these things, you will also have to deal with legal things.
Legal assistance is always needed in such cases. This is why you should contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible. After you get your medical help, call your construction accident attorney, and tell them what happened.
They will review your case and give you legal advice for the next steps.
Such accidents are complex because the liability should be determined (and that is always difficult where there are several parties – construction site company, equipment manufacturer, city, state, or municipality).
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support
- We'd like to thank you for all the assistance and time you spent on our case. Your professionalism and honesty will always be appreciated. The staff was always courteous and we were always impressed with your accountability. Your passion and dedication will never be forgotten, nor will you.
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- Now that reality has set in, I want to thank you for all your work and assistance in obtaining my settlement for the pelvic mesh. This money will make my life so much easier in the future. Medicare just isn't sufficient. I know that I will have enough to live on. I truly appreciate of your efforts. Thank you!