When you are injured in New York City, either intentionally or through negligence, your first thoughts are not normally about finding a personal injury lawyer. Unfortunately, to recover emotionally, physically and financially, you will need the help of a lawyer who practices in this area and field.
Are You Within the Statute of Limitations
Many personal injury cases are subject to a statute of limitations. This means that in New York State, you only have ninety days to five years to seek damages, depending on the type of injury. This is when finding a personal injury lawyer in the Garment District, Manhattan, NY, right away becomes important.
Determine if Your Injury Qualifies
To file a lawsuit, your injury has to qualify. In most cases, the injury has to be intentional or due to the negligence of another party. Remember, if you are injured, and it is someone else’s fault, you can usually recover damages for:
- Lost opportunity, lost wages and loss of property
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Medical, therapy and other related expenses
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
A personal injury lawyer can help calculate the exact monetary value of these damages. The calculations vary depending on the type of injury and type of damages. The court costs and attorney’s fees are sometimes added to the damages.
Seek Referrals From Family and Friends
If someone you know won a personal injury lawsuit in the Garment District, Manhattan, NY, you can ask them which lawyer they retained. Be sure to ask them:
- How they felt about the outcome of their case
- How they felt about their lawyer overall
- If their lawyer helped to make the case less stressful
- Whether they had direct contact with their attorney or just paralegals
- How comfortable with their lawyer if their case went to trial
- If the lawyer made attempts at mediation or settlements before going to trial
Consider their answers carefully. Make sure that their experience was a positive one rather than a high-stress negative one.
Find Lawyers That Specialize in Your Type of Injury
Finding the right personal injury lawyer requires a lot of inquiries. There are hundreds of types of personal injury cases. Some personal injury attorneys practice in general areas, while others specialize. You might find a firm with lawyers specializing in only car accidents or slip and falls, and you might find ones that only take on negligence cases. Remember to look for experience with your type of case.
Research the Personal Injury Lawyer in the Garment District, Manhattan, NY
In some cases, the internet is your friend. Check out review-based and social media websites. Be your own detective when it comes to researching a lawyer. Bar associations, social media and client review websites are sometimes good sources of information about a firm.
Be objective when you are reading reviews. Sometimes a disgruntled client will state things about the firm that are not exactly true. Check if the firm replies to reviews and pay attention to how they respond.
Ask Questions About the Firm
Write down a list of questions to ask a potential lawyer, including:
- Can I talk to former clients or read client reviews?
- Have you handled cases like mine before? If so, what was the outcome?
- Are you familiar with and licensed to practice in the Garment District Manhattan, New York?
- How many cases do you settle or take all the way to trial?
You will probably have many more questions than these but ask anything that you are curious about or want to know. Make sure that the lawyer can easily answer these questions. A lawyer that dodges questions is a red flag.
Most law firms keep case statistics on file. You should ask about their win, loss and settle ratios as well as their general track record. You do not want to hire a lawyer who loses more than they win. Keep in mind settlement is a win as well.
Write Down What You Will Need During the Consult
It is very important that you write down the facts of your case. Before your initial consult, answer these questions:
This will help you clearly state your case to your lawyer. You should also gather supporting documents such as:
- Police reports
- Medical records
- Names of witnesses
- Bills for services such as home health and transportation
Bring along anything that you believe will support your case. You will have to give copies to the lawyer your choose, and having it all in one place is helpful. Gathering the documentation may also jog your memory about the details of the case.
Discuss Your Rights and Responsibilities
Some of the rights that you have when you hire a lawyer are:
- You have the right to your lawyer’s undivided loyalty with no conflicts of interest
- You have the right to receive timely responses to your questions and concerns
- You have the right to have your objectives and goals addressed by the lawyer
- You have the right to privacy
- You have the right to know the lawyer’s fees upfront
These are just a few of your rights. Your responsibilities are very similar. Some of your responsibilities include:
- Giving your lawyer all of the facts as you know them
- Telling the lawyer about any changing circumstances
- Understanding that a lawyer may decline your case
- Paying any fees and expenses that the lawyer accrues after a previous discussion about the payment
You should know or have a copy of your rights and responsibilities and abide by them.
Talk to Lawyers That Work on Contingency
Most personal injury lawyers work on contingency. This means if you do not win, they do not get paid. If you win or the case settles, the lawyer takes a percentage of what you won. It could also be attorney’s fees billed to the defendant in the case. Either way, the defendant pays for your lawyer if you win. If for some reason, you do not win or settle your case, the lawyer does not get paid.
Choose a Lawyer You Respect
A very important part of choosing the right lawyer is choosing one that you respect and who respects you. You will work closely with your lawyer, so this aspect is important.
Your lawyer should always be professional and knowledgeable about your type of case. Some lawyers are very personable, while others are not. This is not an indication of how well they do their job.
If you do not respect a lawyer, do not hire them.
Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer In the Garment District, Manhattan, NY
Hiring a personal injury lawyer is a big decision. You need to be able to count on your lawyer to keep your best interests in mind. If you would like to discuss your personal injury claim in the Garment District, Manhattan, NY, the representatives at Cellino Law can help. We handle various personal injury cases with no upfront fees and only get paid when you win. Call us at (332) 263-3340 or contact us on the web 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to get your free case review.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support