Accidents are an unfortunate part of life, but when injuries leave long-lasting harm due to someone else’s carelessness, you deserve compensation. Getting the maximum amount the law allows often requires the help of a personal injury lawyer.
Cellino Law is a personal injury firm in Civic Center Manhattan that can help. Discover more about what injury lawyers can do for you and why you might need one after an injury.
When Do You Need an Injury Lawyer?
Minor bumps, bruises and scratches rarely require the assistance of an injury lawyer. However, when you deal with a substantial wound due to someone’s negligence, you should seek an attorney’s advice to determine whether you have a case and the compensation you deserve.
A lawyer helps you navigate the rules of law and make claims or file a case on time, even if you’re going to settle out of court. Since reputable firms, such as Cellino Law, offer free case consultations, you don’t have to worry about paying anything to determine if your case has merit.
What Types of Cases Do Injury Lawyers Handle?
In the law, a personal injury refers to harm to your body that is not your fault. A lawyer assists you in recovering payment from someone who injured you, either intentionally or through carelessness.
Some firms only handle specific types of injuries. Established firms with abundant resources and robust staff can take on all sorts of injury cases. For example, at Cellino Law, our team can handle workplace injuries, slip and fall accidents, dog bites, vehicle collisions and medical malpractice, to name a few.
What Is the Difference Between a Civil and Criminal Case?
An injury lawyer is a civil lawyer who settles disputes between parties. We do not handle criminal cases that determine whether a person goes to jail. However, illegal activity may cause you harm, permitting you to file a civil lawsuit for compensation.
For example, someone may strike you and cause bodily harm. If you press charges with the police, the district attorney’s office assigns a prosecutor to charge that person with battery. The facts of the case would determine what types of fines or incarceration the attacker would face for the criminal act.
However, this prosecution does not address the physical and psychological harm you deal with as a result of the attack. You need to bring a case against the person in a civil trial, where a court determines how much the person owes you to make restitution for the damages you suffered.
In New York, you can receive compensation, even if you have partial responsibility for the incident. As a pure comparative fault state, you can file for whatever percentage that other parties were liable for your injuries. Discuss your situation with an injury lawyer whenever you experience a serious injury from someone else’s actions.
How Do Lawyers Investigate Your Case?
Defendants in personal injury cases often have their own lawyers who prepare to negate any argument you present in favor of compensation. Finding acceptable evidence is not as easy as it may appear in television and movies. For this reason, many accident victims seek help from an injury lawyer.
Determining the Facts of the Case
Our law firm must analyze the accident to discern your claim’s validity. With a team of investigators, case managers and paralegals, we look at the facts and determine if we can prove the case.
An injury lawyer also investigates the amount of damages available. We review medical records, property damage, lost wages and noneconomic factors to come to a reasonable conclusion of what the negligent party should owe you.
Determining How a Defendant Will Compensate
As a plaintiff, you need to understand what types of insurance or coverage are available to pay a claim. You must also determine if the individual who harmed you has assets or income that can help you recover. Your injury lawyer can look into whether a form of liability insurance covers the type of accident you suffered.
A common example is a motor vehicle accident. Your law firm checks out the defendant’s car insurance to see what limits the at-fault party has.
Another case could be if your injury occurred on a business’s property. Our team at Cellino Law attempts to verify who is responsible and what type of coverage the entity may have to pay your claim. We also discover a defendant’s assets, such as bank accounts, investments, businesses and property, that a court can award to cover your damages.
What Types of Damages Are Possible After a Personal Injury?
Recoverable damages can take three forms in New York, economic, noneconomic and punitive.
Economic damages reimburse you for the calculable expenses you suffered from the injury. These damages include medical bills, lost wages and property damage. Establishing the full value can be difficult because insurers or defendants may want to challenge whether expenses are due to the accident or another issue.
Insurance companies will also lowball your potential earnings, so you must be ready to fight for that reimbursement. An injury lawyer can help you access statistics and data to pursue a higher settlement.
Noneconomic damages compensate you for intangible losses. For instance, mental anguish, pain, suffering and loss of consortium may occur and reduce your quality of life.
Figuring how much such problems are worth can be subjective and relies on previous settlements or court awards, as well as the prevailing public sentiment. Bringing together these factors are often a struggle for people without extensive legal experience, but your injury lawyer can help.
Punitive damages punish the defendant for malice or gross negligence. These damages send a message to the wrongdoer and comparable individuals or organizations. The payment serves as a warning against committing a similar act.
These payments are rare, and you likely only see them in high-profile cases. Arguing for punitive damages typically requires a trained legal professional to make a convincing case.
Why Can’t You Just Work Through an Insurance Company?
Sometimes, an insurance company is willing to offer you a quick settlement, so you might think it’s unnecessary to request the help of an injury lawyer. Unfortunately, not seeking guidance could lead to less compensation.
The main reason for availing yourself of legal representation when dealing with an insurance company is that the insurer will typically initiate with a lowball offer and not even open the idea of negotiation to an accident victim. Many people do not realize they can bargain for more money to cover their injuries.
Insurance adjusters work from formulas to provide the lowest possible payouts after accidents to protect the insurance company’s bottom line. An insurance company may not take your attempts to communicate seriously, or the firm may move slowly, eventually denying you the ability to take the issue to court for a decision.
An injury lawyer helps by navigating the paperwork from the insurance company with you and communicating with them on your behalf. Our team has experience dealing with insurance companies and motivating them to operate in a timely and fair manner with our clients.
Which Injury Lawyer Can Help in Civic Center Manhattan?
If you have suffered harm due to someone’s carelessness or intentional attack, reach out to us at Cellino Law. We will provide a free case evaluation to determine how to fight for fair compensation with the help of a qualified injury lawyer.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
- My experience during the time of negotiations was extremely positive. Josh Sandberg handled my lawsuit with the utmost integrity. He returned all my phone calls in a timely manner and answered all my questions. Josh made things less stressful. I would highly recommend Josh and the entire staff at Cellino Law.
- Tim Cellino handled my case beautifully. He is very knowledgeable and patient with all my questions. He kept in touch with me through out my ordeal. Tim also got a settlement for more than I expected. I highly recommend Tim Cellino!
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe