Commercial trucks, including cement trucks, provide a necessary service in transporting products throughout the county. In fact, here in Buffalo, NY, while going about your daily routine, you may frequently encounter commercial trucks on the road. Often, due to the sheer size and power contained in these vehicles, we might rightly feel nervous while passing one on the road.
Suffering an accident that involves a commercial truck can be a harrowing experience. Different from accidents involving only cars which may result in minor injuries, the injuries from commercial truck accidents are usually catastrophic. And cement trucks in particular pose great risk to other vehicles.
Cement trucks often experience lots of wear and tear. This makes them more prone to mechanical failures, which can cause collisions. Also, while driving on the road, cement trucks tend to spill cargo which can shatter the windshields of other cars or can cause skidding on the road.
If you or your loved one has been in an accident with a cement truck, the lawyers of Cellino Law can make your options clear to you. Call Cellino Law (800) 555-5555 for a free consultation. Our compassionate personal injury lawyers have over 60 years of success in resolving personal injury law cases.
How an Accident Involving a Cement Truck is Different From the Common Auto Accident
At first glance, it may seem that a cement truck accident is no different from a common car accident, except that one vehicle is bigger than the other. However, this is not the case. There are considerable differences between the two types of collisions. The following are some distinctions.
Damages and injuries
The average weight of a car is around 4 thousand pounds. While the average weight of a cement truck is 26,000 pounds unloaded, and 66,000 pounds loaded. It’s clear that these heavier, larger commercial vehicles create a lot more damage to other cars upon impact. Also, unlike car crashes, cement truck accidents usually result in life-changing injuries to multiple parties. As a result, medical expenses tend to be extremely costly.
Usually, in car accidents, there may be only a single party that is found to be at fault due to negligence. In accidents that involve a cement truck, though, there may be several parties who may be held liable. True, driver error or negligence may have caused the crash, but other responsible parties could have potentially contributed to it. These include the maintenance company, the trucking company itself, the company responsible for loading the truck, and even the vehicle manufacturing company.
In crashes with only cars, generally, only two insurance policies are involved in the litigation process. However, with cement trucks, as with other commercial vehicles, accidents tend to include multiple insurance policies.
Additionally, commercial trucks carry massive insurance limits on their policies, much different from auto policies which carry lower limits. Further, cement truck companies usually have a team of aggressive lawyers on their side to protect their interests by minimizing fault in cases of accidents.
Different laws and regulations
In an effort to maintain safe road travel in the country, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the US Department of Transportation (DOT) stipulate certain laws and regulations that all commercial trucks must obey. This is in addition to state laws that truck drivers and auto drivers must commonly follow.
FMCSA’s regulations cover items related to the function of the truck itself. They also contain guidelines that the driver and employer must follow. Failure to comply with these safety regulations and laws usually results in accidents.
These few examples highlight how complex it can be to navigate the process of pursuing compensation after experiencing a cement truck accident. This process is different from auto accidents, which tend to be less complicated. A lawyer experienced in navigating the process could provide valuable assistance in pursuing compensation for damages.
Common Causes of Cement Truck Accidents
There are a variety of causes of cement truck accidents in New York. Some of the most common include:
- Reckless driving: Speeding is one of the most common forms of reckless driving that’s done by cement truck drivers. In an effort to make more money by completing more hauls, a driver may speed to reach the destination. Drivers may also speed to prevent the cement from hardening before arrival.
- Inexperienced driver: A loaded cement truck is not only heavy but may also shift while moving. A driver who has not been trained properly may not know how to maneuver the truck to compensate for the weight. This can result in a rollover accident.
- Distracted driving: A cement truck driver who is using the phone while driving is not focused on the road and other vehicles in the area. Other types of distracted driving that can result in accidents include eating, adjusting the GPS, and even simply daydreaming.
- Fatigued driving: Cement truck drivers can work extensive hours in one day. As a result, a driver may continue to make hauls even while in a drowsy state. Additionally, any drivers taking medications may suffer fatigue as a side effect.
Of course, this list is not comprehensive. There are other causes of cement truck accidents such as driving while intoxicated or a defective truck part.
Common Injuries From Cement Truck Accidents
Quite often, cement truck accidents result in catastrophic injuries for victims. Some common injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Burn injuries
- Fatal injuries
If you or your loved one has suffered injuries from a cement truck accident, an experienced lawyer with Cellino Law can help you pursue compensation for damages. You may be able to recover the cost of:
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
Our Lawyers Stand Ready to Assist You
If you or your loved one has suffered injuries from a cement truck accident, do not attempt to pursue compensation on your own. Dealing with the aftermath of a cement truck accident can be very complicated.
You may find yourself fighting with multiple insurance adjusters in an effort to get a fair settlement. These adjusters are highly skilled at using tactics in an attempt to minimize the value of your claim.
Additionally, trucking companies tend to have teams of knowledgeable lawyers who are ready to defend the interests of the company. You too can have a team of experienced attorneys in your corner. Let Cellino Law’s skilled personal injury lawyers help you get through this tough time to get you the money you need.
You have no time to lose to file your claim. Keep in mind that the statute of limitations for filing most personal injury cases in New York is only 3 years. Our lawyers stand ready to provide you with assistance to make sure you file on time.
Cellino Law’s resources are extensive. For one, we have a network of highly experienced attorneys around the country who can review your case. We also have the means to determine whether the cause of the accident that left you with injuries was due to a defective part or a safety violation and identify the true liable parties.
Our lawyers are available 24/7 to offer injury victims a free consultation. Call (800) 555-5555 to speak with a member of our personal injury team.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a fantastic job as our attorney. We could not have been more pleased with the work you and your team has done on this case. This past four years or so has been such a roller coaster for our family. We are very pleased and grateful with the result. We have made a good choice by choosing you. Thank you.
- We'd like to thank you for all the assistance and time you spent on our case. Your professionalism and honesty will always be appreciated. The staff was always courteous and we were always impressed with your accountability. Your passion and dedication will never be forgotten, nor will you.