When you think of dangerous driving behaviors, no doubt actions like drunk driving and distracted driving come to your mind. Yet, another seriously threatening driving scenario exists – driving while fatigued.
Each year, data is compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) concerning all car crashes filed with the police. The reported numbers show some100,000 accidents were related to drivers being fatigued behind the wheel. The data also reveals that these types of accidents result in more than 50,000 injuries annually. Worse yet, they cause the deaths of more than 800 people a year.
Clearly, a fatigued driver is a dangerous driver. This is especially true when the driver is behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle like a semi truck. If you have been in an accident with a large truck and suspect the driver was fatigued at the time, our personal injury attorneys are here to help you get the compensation you need.
You can contact our experienced Buffalo fatigued truck driver accident lawyers 24/7. Call us at 800-555-5555 for a free case evaluation.
Why Truck Drivers Drive While Fatigued
For many adults, getting adequate sleep each night is difficult. In fact, the CDC reports that every 1 in 3 adults will not get the recommended amount of sleep needed.
Nonetheless, jobs, exacting bosses, and relentless daily schedules require people to push through life in their tired state. Consequently, although exhausted, people continue to drive. Truck drivers are especially likely to face pressure to drive while exhausted.
To keep up with busy schedules, deliveries and other demands by the trucking company or client, truck drivers may forgo a good night’s sleep to comply with scheduling demands.
Federal regulations for commercial truck drivers exist to help avoid crashes caused by fatigued driving. Of course, both the truck drivers and the trucking companies must follow these rules to maintain safe driving.
Any truck driver who is concerned that their employer is not complying with any state or federal regulations can report the situation to the US Department of Transportation. In addition, if an employer threatens the truck driver with retaliation, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) can assist the driver.
Why Are Fatigued Truck Drivers So Dangerous?
A fatigued truck driver can quickly create an extremely dangerous situation while driving. When traveling at highway speeds, a truck can cover the distance of a football field in about 5 seconds. A long yawn, nodding of the head, or momentary spacing-out from exhaustion can cause the truck to collide, bump another car, swerve into another lane, or make some other dangerous movement. Because of the truck’s size, these actions can cause tragic results.
Studies have revealed that drivers who have not slept in the prior 20 hours can have significant impairments when it comes to concentrating while driving. A tired driver can exhibit impairment similar to a driver who is under the influence of alcohol, with slower reactions to changing road conditions and struggling to pay attention.
It is obvious that the weight and size of large trucks demand that their drivers have the highest level of attention and good judgment. These drivers must be able to make quick and precise decisions as they encounter a variety of situations on the road.
Around Buffalo, drivers must factor for inclement weather conditions as well.. Winter road conditions can be perilous for fully alert and vigilant drivers. The danger of winter roads is even worse for fatigued drivers.
What Are Common Injuries After a Fatigued Truck Driver Accident?
Tractor-trailers, 18-wheelers, and similar large trucks are among the most imposing vehicles regularly encountered on freeways, highways, and regular roads. When they collide with normal-sized cars and trucks, the damage to the smaller vehicles can be extensive.
The injuries can vary from scrapes and bruises to severe injuries or fatalities. Additional common injuries from truck accidents caused by fatigued drivers are:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injuries
- Neck injuries
- Burn injuries
- Bone fractures
- Back injuries
Our team of personal injury attorneys are familiar with laws and regulations set in place to prevent fatigued truck driver injuries from occurring. Don’t wait to contact us if you’ve been injured by a fatigued truck driver. As you recover and focus on healing, our team will be there to help handle the stressful and confusing insurance claims.
Compensation Available to You After a Fatigued Truck Driver Accident
An accident with a large truck can result in minor to severe injuries and damages. Although each case is unique, the available compensation frequently falls into a few specific categories. These are economic damages and non-economic damages. Additionally, punitive damages may be imposed if the guilty party was reckless or negligent.
A collision with limited damage and minimal injuries can receive less compensation than a truck accident with catastrophic results. For wrongful death and life-altering injuries, a judge or jury might require considerably more damages from the guilty party.
In most cases, compensation can be recovered for the following:
- Vehicle damages
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost wages
- Past and future losses
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses
- Life-changing disabilities
- Punitive damages
Realistically speaking, obtaining compensation for your injuries requires having an attorney familiar with truck driving cases. Guilty parties frequently try to minimize and hide their accountability.
With a member of our team of personal injury attorneys on your side, you can rest assured that your case is being pursued with your best interests in mind. We will have the goal of obtaining the highest amount of compensation you deserve.
How Can a Fatigued Truck Driver Accident Lawyer Help You?
Establishing guilt in a truck driving accident caused by a fatigued driver can be difficult. This is especially true when the driver denies being fatigued. Nonetheless, our lawyers know how to establish the truth in these cases.
We understand how the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations apply to truck drivers and trucking companies. We can isolate when and how these laws and guidelines have been ignored or disobeyed and use these facts to establish your case.
Throughout a case like this, the driver, trucking companies, and insurance companies may all try to conceal their accountability. They may attempt to minimize the injuries and damages you have experienced. It can be exhausting and overwhelming to fight with them day in and day out.
When a lawyer with our legal team is on your side, you do not have to be involved in these negotiations. Rather, you can concentrate on getting better while we fight for you. Let us make the difference in your life as we have in the lives of our other clients.
Speak to Our Fatigued Truck Driver Accident Lawyers in Buffalo, New York
If you or a loved one has been injured in Buffalo, New York, in a fatigued truck driver accident, you can get assistance in protecting your rights. Start by consulting a trustworthy member of our team.
When you choose Cellino Law, you will have access to experienced legal professionals who know how to handle personal injury litigation in the right way. With our excellent track record, we are known as one of New York’s top personal injury firms.
You can contact our experienced Buffalo, New York, fatigued truck driver accident lawyers 24/7. Call us at 800-555-5555 for a free case evaluation.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!