Losing a dear person due to medical malpractice is a tragedy. This thing happens more often than you think. It’s important that you take the right steps when it happens.
Besides the doctor, you can also sue the hospital. But to do this you should determine their liability.
This could be easily done with the help of a New York wrongful death attorney.
When Is a Hospital Responsible for Wrongful Death?
There are many ways a hospital can be responsible for wrongful death. The most common ways are these:
- the negligence of doctors, nurses, and other health care providers who are employed by the hospital
- the hospital’s negligence in hiring and supervising its employees, managing and repairing its equipment, as well as the medical care at the hospital.
Responsibility for the Negligence of Independent Contractors
In general, a hospital isn’t legally liable for the negligence of doctors who were treating a patient but wasn’t employed by the hospital (independent contractors).
Determining whether the health provider works for the hospital or is just an independent contractor is a complex legal problem that involves things like an employment contract between the health provider and the hospital and how much control the hospital had over their job conditions and performance.
The more control the employer has over the performance of a physician who claims to be an independent contractor, the more likely it is that a court might find that the physician was an employee.
Negligence of Physicians Employed by the Hospital
These are the main categories of medical negligence:
- mistakes in prescribing or administering medications
- surgical errors
- negligence that affects pregnancy and childbirth
If a doctor who worked in a hospital was negligent and their negligence caused the patient’s death, the hospital would be at fault for the patient’s wrongful death.
Malpractice of Hospital Nurses
Nurses owe patients a fair professional duty of care and can do malpractice just like a doctor can. Nurses do many types of tasks that are related to a patient’s treatment so any serious nursing mistake can lead to a wrongful death of a patient. These are some of the most significant types of nursing malpractices are:
- incompetent monitor of a patient’s vital signs properly
- failure to properly register the patient’s nursing record into the patient’s chart
- giving the wrong type or amount of medication
- giving the medication at the wrong time
- failure to check a patient for bed sores
- failure to report suspicious symptoms and complaints to the doctor in charge.
Should I Sue the Hospital When the Doctor Was Negligent?
A hospital may be at fault for a doctor’s negligence that caused the patient’s wrongful death, but should the family sue both the doctor and the hospital?
This is more of a tactical instead of a legal decision. Your attorney will make that decision based on the amount of malpractice insurance coverage the doctor carries. If the doctor has enough malpractice coverage, then your lawyer may decide not to sue the hospital. This decision is so you don’t have to face any more defense attorneys than you have to.
In case your attorney decides to sue the hospital and the doctor, the insurance company will select several attorneys for both the doctor and the hospital. Keep in mind that the attorneys will think of ways to win and that is the last thing you want. Your only interest is to deal with one attorney.
The Hospital’s Negligence
The hospital can also be negligent in its actions. Various types of hospital negligence can cause the wrongful death of a patient. Here are some of how a hospital can be negligent:
The hospital may fail to verify that its healthcare providers are safe, licensed, and competent;
- Failure to fire incompetent, unsafe, and unlicensed employees
- Failure to provide patient safety protocols for problems like sanitation, labeling and administration of patient medication, prevention of patients falls;
- Understanding of medical and nursing personnel
If your loved one passed away due to medical negligence, you shouldn’t hesitate to contact a wrongful death attorney. You probably have too many questions and whether or not (and how) to file a wrongful death claim.
In this difficult time, the legal things are the last thing you think of. This is why it’s important to have a good lawyer who’d take care of these things.
If you’re considering filing a wrongful death claim in New York, our team in Cellino Law is here to assist you with everything.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.