Catastrophic injuries are life-altering events that can leave a person with severe, long-term, and often permanent impairments. These injuries often come about as a result of serious accidents, such as car crashes, workplace mishaps, or medical malpractice.
When you or someone you love faces the devastating consequences of a catastrophic injury, understanding how to recover the necessary financial support to cope with the resulting fallout is important. Below, we’ll discuss what qualifies as a catastrophic injury, how the injuries can have lasting effects, and the steps you should take to protect your rights after experiencing a catastrophic injury.
What Are Catastrophic Injuries?
Catastrophic injuries are defined as injuries, usually resulting from an accident, that cause serious physical damage to the body. These damages can include a broad range of severe conditions such as spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, severe burns, amputations, and multiple fractures. Such injuries typically occur without warning, leaving victims and families to grapple with a new reality involving prolonged or indefinite medical treatment, rehabilitation, and assistance.
From a legal standpoint, catastrophic injuries are distinct because they often involve significant claims due to the magnitude of the victim’s suffering and loss. Unlike less severe injuries, catastrophic injuries typically lead to a lifetime of medical care and personal challenges, including loss of income, reduced life expectancy, emotional trauma, and loss of enjoyment of life.
Types of Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Spinal cord damage resulting in paralysis
- Loss of vision or hearing
- Injuries that cause deformity
- Nerve damage
- Traumatic brain injuries resulting in permanent brain damage
- Damage to internal organs
- Severe burns
The consequences of these types of injuries are often life-changing or life-threatening, even with continued medical care.
Determining Liability in Catastrophic Injury Cases
Determining who is legally responsible for a catastrophic injury is a complex process that involves an in-depth analysis of the facts surrounding the incident. In many cases, an act of negligence is at the core of the injury. Negligence refers to a failure to act with reasonable care, which in turn causes harm to another person.
Parties that potentially could be held responsible for a catastrophic injury include:
- Drivers involved in vehicle accidents
- Employers who failed to ensure a safe workplace
- Manufacturers of defective products
- Medical professionals responsible for malpractice
- Owners of the property where the injury occurred
A knowledgeable catastrophic injury attorney can help identify the liable parties and the legal theories best suited to your case, such as negligence, strict liability, or breach of warranty.
Understanding Damages in Catastrophic Injury Cases
Calculating and obtaining fair compensation is essential in catastrophic injury cases. This compensation, known as damages, falls into several categories:
- Economic damages cover calculable financial losses, such as medical bills, future medical care costs, lost wages, and loss of earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages compensate for intangible losses, such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of consortium, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Punitive damages may apply in cases of gross negligence or intentional harm, serving as a punishment to the wrongdoer and to deter similar future conduct.
Given the profound impact of catastrophic injuries, these cases can often result in higher settlement offers to the injured party. An experienced personal injury attorney can assist in accurately assessing all current and future impacts to ensure full and fair compensation.
Steps to Take After a Catastrophic Injury
If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury, the decisions you make in the aftermath can significantly affect your ability to recover compensation. Consider the following steps:
1. Seek Immediate Medical Attention: An immediate and thorough medical examination after the accident not only ensures that you receive proper treatment for your injuries, but also establishes an official record of your injuries as they relate to your accident.
2. Document Everything: From the date of the accident through your treatment process, keep detailed records, as these can be valuable for a catastrophic injury claim. Documents like a police report, photos and videos, medical records, medical bills, proof of lost wages, and how the injury has impacted your daily life are all viable pieces of evidence when proving your claim.
3. Don’t Speak With Insurance Companies Alone: Insurance providers may attempt to settle quickly and for less than you deserve. Consult an attorney before discussing the injury with insurance representatives, especially when asked to give a recorded statement.
4. Contact a Catastrophic Injury Attorney: A personal injury attorney with experience in catastrophic injury cases can offer vital support and guidance throughout your recovery and legal journey. From helping to prove negligence to negotiating a fair settlement for your injuries, your attorney will act as your liaison, so you can focus on treatment for your injuries.
The Role of Legal Representation in Catastrophic Injury Cases
When dealing with catastrophic injuries, legal representation is not just advisable; it’s almost essential. An experienced personal injury attorney understands the complex nature of these cases and can offer support in various ways:
Case Evaluation: After your initial consultation, your attorney and their team will assess the merits of your claim and any potential recovery based on their knowledge of the law and experience handling similar claims.
Investigative Resources: Attorneys often work with a network of professional investigators and experts in various fields (e.g., medical, economic, life-care planning) who can help to build the foundation of a strong case.
Negotiation Skills: A seasoned attorney will provide evidence of your injuries and their profound impact on your life, in order to negotiate the best possible settlement with insurance companies and defense attorneys.
Trial Experience: If the defense fails to offer a reasonable settlement amount, your attorney may recommend taking your claim to trial. Should your case go to court, you want a legal team familiar with trial procedures and capable of presenting your case effectively before a judge and jury.
Time Limits on Filing Claims
Remember that personal injury claims, including those for catastrophic injuries, are subject to statutes of limitations. These laws set deadlines by which you must file your claim. Missing this window can mean losing your right to compensation. Given the complex nature of catastrophic injury cases, it is crucial to act promptly to safeguard your legal rights.
Contact Cellino Law
When faced with a catastrophic injury, navigating the legal landscape can feel overwhelming. The repercussions of such injuries extend far into the future, affecting not only the injured parties but also their family and loved ones. Seeking appropriate legal counsel is a critical step toward rehabilitation and financial stability, allowing you to focus on recovery and adaptation to new life circumstances.
If you or someone you love has suffered a catastrophic injury and needs dedicated legal representation, contact Cellino Law at (888)-888-8888. Our experienced team of attorneys will fight for your rights and help you to secure the justice you and your family deserve.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.
- Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I am very pleased (and surprised) at the amount of the settlement. We will use the funds to help pay down the debt on the truck we had to purchase after ours was totaled. Thank you again.
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support